Can anyone here get DDR400 running at 2-2-2 stable?

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
Hi. I'm asking this question only because I have had nothing but problems running my Mushkin Level 2 (the original) in Windows at 2-2-2 for almost a year. I've had to back off the timings in order to avoid BSODs or random reboots. Sure, I pass with flying colors in Memtest+, but Windows is another story. I should note that first I bought a set of Corsair CAS2 RAM, had problems, returned it, got the Mushkin Level 2, had pretty much the same issues, backed off the timings and called it a day.

Anyway, I'm building a socket 939 board right now (the Gigabyte board) and am having the same problems I was having with my previous Asus nForce 2 Deluxe board at 2-2-2. I picked up some Mushkin CAS 3 RAM earlier and am about to plug it in. I don't see any point paying that much for premium memory if I have to back it off to the settings of less expensive memory anyway. The Mushkin goes on eBay tomorrow unless the problem is something else. Based on past experience though, I'm positive it's the memory.

Back when I was running PC2100 I was able to run 2-2-2 and have it be perfectly stable. Based on my experience and reading that of others, it seems to me that stability at tight timings has become somewhat of an issue ever since DDR hit 400mhz.

The gist of this long winded post is to ask if anyone really has their systems stable at 2-2-2. I mean STABLE. Not stable as in "I only get a BSOD/random reboot every couple days". I mean solid as a rock.

To deflect the suggestions I know I'm going to get, yes, I jacked up the RAM voltage to 2.8, yes, I have a high quality power supply (475W Thermaltake Noisetaker, dual 12V rails and all)

And lets forget the fact that the difference between C2 and C3 in real world applications is almost nil. ;)

I have had my corsair pc3200 xms ram running at 2 2 2 5 for a year and a half now at 400mhz. Rock solid, absolutely no bsod's or reboots or freezes or anything being left on for weeks at a time. I've even got the two sticks of 256 in dual channel on my nforce 2 and have pushed the fsb and ram up to 428mhz. No problems here...

My Mushkin Black Level 2 runs just fine at 2-2-2-5 at 2.8V in my IC7-Max3, however it is PC-3500 running at 200MHz (400MHz dual channel).

Oh well, I guess these were the answers I was looking for. I guess I haven't had much luck since moving on from PC2100 2-2-2. :)

Hi,

My Corsair 3200XL runs at 2-2-2-5 stable up to 215. Right now my settings are 2.5-3-3-6 1:1 at 250. Rock Solid:

Motherboard Monitor
Total number of readouts: 14702 CPU Speed: 3005 MHz |
|Running from: 8/11/2004 7:14:59 PM until: 8/13/2004 12:12:56 PM

I think you need to really think about what you've typed. To my mind, its not a memory issue, as you've tried different memory brands with the same results. So, its got to be something else.

Different motherboards and the same issue, so it shouldn't be the motherboard.

Would need more info to try to get to the bottom of it all, but its interesting that Memtest has no problems. Have you run Prime95? I'd wager that you'd have a failure, which, with successful Memtest results, strongly suggests that there's NOTHING wrong with your memory, but that the issue is with another part of your system.

Perhaps your Windows installation, perhaps heat issues, perhaps GPU issues?

What video card are you using and were you using a different card with the PC2100 memory?

Good Luck!

Back