Can anyone help me with my IBM Intellistation A-Pro? (putting quad in a dual box)

Boltaction

Gawd
My A-pro 6224 does not seem to accept dual core processors. On the latest BIOS it does not post when I put my Opty 875's in it (E1 I believe) but works just fine on my 246's.

Does anyone else have an A-Pro? I would like to know as much as possible about them.

Is it a 4S or 2S motherboard? Opteron 8xx processors are for 4S and up, 2xx are for 2S. You can't use 8xx in a dual CPU motherboard.

Actually, I just checked, the 6224 does not support dual core processors (though there are some erroneous pieces of internet fodder that say differently). Sigh. Just like the w2100z (though I heard that some at Sun did manage to put dual cores on theirs... they just refused to release the info/data/bios/etc for others to do it).

Yeah, I can't seem to do it. However, I ordered a new 6217 Motherboard to fit into it and though it recognizes the cores the fans run at 100% and say something like "Planar PCI device failure" even when I remove the secondary processor planar. :(

*sigh*
Look. For the umpteen billionth time.
The draw wattage on the AMD Opteron 24x and 25x's is 90W. Read that again. 90W. That's what the VRM has to put out.
The draw wattage on the AMD Opteron 27x and 28x's is 95W. That's 5W more.

Yes, the boards do NOT have 5W overhead. Tyan built boards are actually UNDER 90W, including the infamous K8QS Pro. (Tyan: "It will support Dual Core with a BIOS flash!" - 3 months later - "Buy K8QS-D!")

Of course! Why, I totally blew through all those mentions of it. I never pay attention to full time television ads or billboards.

Yes, the boards do NOT have 5W overhead. Tyan built boards are actually UNDER 90W, including the infamous K8QS Pro. (Tyan: "It will support Dual Core with a BIOS flash!" - 3 months later - "Buy K8QS-D!")

Please remember... the mb in question is NOT a Tyan board. But there's probably a power issue regardless. Some folks at Sun supposedly got dual core Opty's inside the w2100z... so it IS possible, but the detail is unknown.

Back