Can any of you think of new genres that can be introduced into PC gaming?

tzhu07

Gawd
I was just thinking that "PC games nowadays are just the same old stuff" over and over. But then as I started thinking about the possibility of a new genre and a new gameplay mechanic, nothing really comes up in my mind.

I mean, what about a cooking simulator? :cool:

I can't think of anything without getting into bizarro stuff...

A first person shooter that has built in voice chat and hotkeys to point out "hot zones" so that the team / squad knows where to set up defenses or attack. The voice chat should pick up other players close to you so that if the enemy is discussing their plans too close to you or your espionage robot can hear it.

A reconnaissance soldier that can carry gear that can eavesdrop on the opposition would be sick. Maybe even have stuff in the game like supply vehicles to allow you to be able to make a sandbag defense if you wish?

Ability to crawl away if mortally wounded on the battlefield. If help gets to you within 15 secs you can get back in to the action. Otherwise you bleed out.

Just brainstorming a few ideas.

While not a "new genre" there are still PLENTY of untapped area's on the pc gaming market.

The mmo market is SO untapped atm apart from rpgs. So many ccompanies think "well if you have an mmo it HAS to be like wow / an rpg" and that isn't the case.

A well done mmo action game would be so amazing. I'm talking about taking a gam elike say, BF3, making it into a real mmo, a complete open world and allowing players to use vehicles/anything on a large scale.

I used to play WWIIonline but it came out so long ago, the infantry combat mechanics sucked HARD in it and even though that part sucked, it was still a blast to play when it worked. However this was a time when you had a lot of people still on 56k modems, etc.

Then you have the western genre. Consoles got Red Dead redemption, which was an AMAZING game, 10x better then any GTA game imo. Pc players didn't get it. The last decent western game the PC got apart from the first Call of Juarez was Outlaws back in the 90's for crying out loud.

Then you have the space genre. There is SO Much that coujld be done these days with a AAA budget and things.

Imagine a Space sim, where you actually control a CHARACTer, not a SHIP (like most do). Where you have deep rpg mechanics/characters/storylines. Where you can mod your own ship, customize it. choose from small light ships (even a single man ship) or super-large planet buster ships, each with their own bonsuses/disadvantages.

Where you could do everything from join a rebel force, cclimb up the ladder and become the leader and one day take over galaxies. Or you could simply chooes to be a lone wolf, get a very small, but very high tech "stealth" ship that can cloak an dthings. Where you could actually get OUT of the ship (as in your character) , imagine cloaking and going right up onto a large ship that's carrying some important npc. You latch onto it with your ship, then go outside and walk around in zero-g and cut your way inside the other ship and then when inside the game players out like an fps/action-rpg.

Have it where you can enter/exist worlds by actualy FLYING through the atmosphere and landing. Where the worlds are actually varied, and not just "earth copy earth copy."

Where you could find people to join your ship for various parts of your crew, with many that have deep backstories (think Bioware style characters) and things.

Another example, NON humanoid games. When was the last time you got a decent non-humanoid game?

Why do we have no werewolf games out there really? Vampire games aren't that big either, we had the great Vampire:TMB years ago, but look at it now? I mean the movie market is HUGE on vampires/werewolves, yet there's no developer out there making any vampire or werewolf games, WHY?

I remember years ago Lionhead (who makes Fable) was making a game called BC. It was basically where you control this early human tribe in the BC era with Dino's, etc. you have to teach them things, keep them alive, hunt, etc and basically lead them through building a civilization. It sounded (and looked great) but they ended up canning it.

I would have LOVEd that game.

There's just so many things out there that haven't been done, or havn't been done but a few times.

I always wanted to see a RPG/action game based off the concept of a jail break. Picture shawshank redemption meets deus ex.

You ever play Riddick: Escape from butcher bay? While not quite like that (it is a sci fi game..) it's about as close as you'll get to a prison game with the ability to talk to other prisoners, make choices, etc.

You ever play Riddick: Escape from butcher bay? While not quite like that (it is a sci fi game..) it's about as close as you'll get to a prison game with the ability to talk to other prisoners, make choices, etc.

I have not played it. Though i have heard good things about it. I think I'll try it out.

EZ bake oven game with a compact flourescent bulb, you guess how many months it takes to bake your cake. :D

Imagine a Space sim, where you actually control a CHARACTer, not a SHIP (like most do). Where you have deep rpg mechanics/characters/storylines. Where you can mod your own ship, customize it. choose from small light ships (even a single man ship) or super-large planet buster ships, each with their own bonsuses/disadvantages.

Ever play Star Control 2?

Ever play Star Control 2?

Yea, if you had that sheer expanse/exploration, with a more modern style and actualyl could move around freely in your ship + it had a good combat system (never was a fan of SC's combat).

I want a space sim that has full sim controls, complete with newtonian physics, dmg modeling for different parts of your ship (IE tot he point you could say, take out a ships oxygen supply, cut off engines, weapons, etc).

Some far fetched ideas for gaming:

Giant robot simulator (imagine, a game where you control giant battetech robots, stomping through the countryside and ruined cities of the futute, complex weapon systems, localized damage, combined arms (mechs, tanks, airpower, infantry, etc...)

Space simulator (imagine, a game where you are a space pilot, flying around in epic battles that are right out of the star wars or battlestar galactica universes. capital ships dwarf your own, complex systems on the craft are managed in the heat of battle.... think of the possibilities!)

Those two off the top of my head, genres, that don't exist in gaming ....

I would really like a good space shooter game with dedicated servers...

I mean i think they could make some arcade like space shooter that could have DM/TDM or some new MP mode.

I think I just miss decent alot.

i dream of a mmo with 30 factions...you join one faction...there are no guilds...you're faction IS your guild

at any given time, a faction can be at war with another faction or factions on a random basis...wars can end and peace is at hand,...again, randomly

imagine being in one factions 'zone of control' and all of a sudden, war breaks out with your faction and theirs

imagine underground resistance groups where you can hideout

imagine being captured behind enemy lines forcing you to try and escape

imagine crafting recipes/materials/skills/clothing/mounts/etc. faction specific

imagine npcs that can change sides

imagine housing and comng home to found out they burned your house down

imagine trading embargoes among factions at war

this opens up the ENTIRE world to everyone..no longer is a major city of a faction off limits

and it is constantly changing providing a dynamic living world in which to play in

for the pve only crowd,they just need to go find a zone that has a peace treaty, the pvp crowd, i can envision rescue missions of fellow trapped faction members..quite frankly, the possibilities are endless

it would be weapon skill based..there would be no leveling..you gain 'skill points'..white/green/blue/purple/gold skills points and allocate them into WEAPON SPECIFIC slots OR ARMOR specific slots...use any weapon/armor you want and skill IT up..not you..therefore, when you meet someone, you NEVER know how good they are..they have a crossbow with lvl purple skill and you sit there with a machine gun with lvl white..he puts one in your eye and you can't hit the broad side of a barn...how fun is that!!...and you never lose the skill...oh btw, all weapons and armor need to be repaired..that KEEPS the economy from stagnating...and one more for fun...EVERYTHING is crafted...EVERYTHING...you want a machinegun, go make it..you want a samurari sword, go make it

one thing you never would call this mmo, is boring

i can dream

Last edited:
Some far fetched ideas for gaming:

Giant robot simulator (imagine, a game where you control giant battetech robots, stomping through the countryside and ruined cities of the futute, complex weapon systems, localized damage, combined arms (mechs, tanks, airpower, infantry, etc...)

Space simulator (imagine, a game where you are a space pilot, flying around in epic battles that are right out of the star wars or battlestar galactica universes. capital ships dwarf your own, complex systems on the craft are managed in the heat of battle.... think of the possibilities!)

Those two off the top of my head, genres, that don't exist in gaming ....

1. Mechwarrior 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bonai7PXfUM
2. Freespace 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpaWcDX0f4&feature=relmfu

Last edited:
Maybe this explains why developers have such a hard time breaking from the formula and making an actual new-genre. Most of the ideas listed in this thread aren't really new genres. They are existing genres with a slight twist/new feature.

I think the last genre introduced to gaming was probably Metal Gear Solid ---wayyy back in the day-- introducing Stealth Espionage that in turn resulted in Tom Clancy's _____, Deus Ex: Original/HR, and others. Unless you say that MGS was an expansion of the classic "Other Worlds" from the adventure game haydays of 16-bit dos-based color games.

I miss Megarace and Hi-Octane.. the racing/shooting games.

Also Wulfram an RTS/Shooter hybrid game. Yes you heard me. One dude plays the strategic RTS game while the other people on the team fight in tanks.

I would really like a good space shooter game with dedicated servers...

I mean i think they could make some arcade like space shooter that could have DM/TDM or some new MP mode.

I think I just miss decent alot.

http://www.minerwars.com/

Last edited:
How about a sniper game where you can lay down and shoot.. Not just kneel or peek around something. Shoot, not even a sniper game how about a fps you can lay down in and shoot.. Or has any of the more modern games done that yet? And how about some real camo.. and my favorite.. the ability to drive any vehicle, anywhere on the map.

Ah, NewVegas with vehicles and the ability to lay on top of a building or mountain/hill and kill till you run outta bullets :D

OMG... Megarace....... that game was the BOMB!

That said, I'm sure some of these problems might stem from patents and copyright stuff. I thought there was a lawsuit a long time ago due to another game having robots like Mechwarrior. Not sure if my mind is making this up but I thought there was one.

I don't know much about Miner Wars, but wasn't that one an RTS?

FPSMMO is a MASSIVE opportunity that remains to this day almost completely untapped. Planetside 2 is the only game I know of in production to offer this kind of game play experience.

I don't really like the idea of thinking in terms of genres though, it pigeon holes games too much and if you start considering games that fit into specific genres you're limiting your ideas.

Wrote that post in a bitter/ironic way.... been way too long since we've had some real, quality simulation games on the PC... and I'm just amazed that these niches haven't been exploited in modern times...

So yea, giant robot sim, and space flight sim.... new genres that can be introduced to the PC gaming world...

You must be out of the loop. Check-out the Crysis Total Conversion.

Mechwarrior : Living Legends
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aFV1W8-jU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-gCSwYMOg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQgnfgX5E8&feature=related

Developer Interview 3 parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F07S3v8x-Vg&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-M65_HfB3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31G5-c8WKU4

----------

Match Cast
-----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi8Qz19hs3s&list=UUKyAJ-ncb0SMraaxi9n1Mdg&index=7&feature=plcp

------------------------------------------------------

and also heard about Mechwarrior Online.

Mechwarrior Online.
http://mwomercs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aFV1W8-jU&feature=related

Last edited:
I would love to see - battletech: crescent hawk's inception ~ redid. It as a RPG -slash - thing mechcommander.

You started off as a infantry man, you end up getting/finding your first beat-up uber puny mech. and set off to incorporate other people you meet into your unit, whom are ACTUAL party characters and can also pilot mechs.

soo i guess im saying a game kinda like that where you start with nothing and build your own little unit or mercenary company starting with a small handful, all the way to battalion, regiment etc.

and rpg lets not forget rpg - there was this cool bank investment features, you could invest in low medium or high risk - and make money over time, or lose money over time. time passed as your character moved...

So I would run my character into a wall with books on the mouse button - every single night ;p HAHAHA.

I don't think I ever got really far in that game... it was quite old,

A first person shooter that has built in voice chat and hotkeys to point out "hot zones" so that the team / squad knows where to set up defenses or attack. The voice chat should pick up other players close to you so that if the enemy is discussing their plans too close to you or your espionage robot can hear it.

A reconnaissance soldier that can carry gear that can eavesdrop on the opposition would be sick. Maybe even have stuff in the game like supply vehicles to allow you to be able to make a sandbag defense if you wish?

Ability to crawl away if mortally wounded on the battlefield. If help gets to you within 15 secs you can get back in to the action. Otherwise you bleed out.

Just brainstorming a few ideas.

Problem with built in voice chat is you can avoid being overheard by just using ventrilo. The idea is very good, just unfortunate it'd be taken advantage of, by not using it. I could see it being interesting in a more RTS / single player kind of way though.

During the early 2000's the PC based rally games seemed to be moving to longer and longer tracks (but still a far cry from the length of actual rally's), but once they jumped over to consoles the push seemed to be for shorter and shorter (albeit better looking and more detailed) tracks. Would be pretty sweet to have an actual full bore WRC game with 100's of km of racing goodness.

Minecraft has pretty much satiated my long held desire to see a community MM lego world game.

Still waiting for the game Chris Roberts was trying to create with Freelancer, a massive adaptive space merc game.

I was just thinking that "PC games nowadays are just the same old stuff" over and over. But then as I started thinking about the possibility of a new genre and a new gameplay mechanic, nothing really comes up in my mind.
The issue is that large publishers end up becoming hyper-focused on trending genres. If you look at shooters specifically, at one time not too long ago publishers seemed to be pushing out World War II shooters at a frantic pace. The focus today is on modern first-person shooters. Eventually we're going to go through a futuristic shooter phase and all that that entails. It's a simple inevitability.

It's not that we need new genres, but that we need to see more of the older, out-of-fashion sub-genres being resurrected. There are plenty of perfectly good sub-genres that developers/publishers aren't really exploiting. Consumers aren't bored with FPSes in general as a genre, but we are getting bored with the same old song and dance when it comes to how those games are structured.

I would like to see a cross between Eve and the ancient Mail Order Monsters from the Commodore 64. You'd build colossal monsters for arena-style combat. You play the role of the monster's owner, using funds from fights (or by making utility monsters for sewer-cleaning, mining, space terraforming, and so on) to research new genetic modifications, armor, weaponry, or strategy. By strategy, I mean that unlike the aforementioned games, you don't control your monster directly in battle. You select behaviors much like you'd control your NPC's in Dragon Age. You unlock behaviors the same way you research weaponry, and the depth of strategy is enabled by the intelligence of your monster.

Put your money into Marketing to get bigger payoffs, better fights.
Create monster teams that work cooperatively based on the strategies you've uncovered.
Focus on manufacture to improve weapons, and sell them to other players.
Guilds would be like leagues with tournaments.

"That walking plant has a multilas? I'm just a blob with beast-fu! Let me get my alt!"

Not really new,but underused. I'd love to see more open world FPS/RPG games similar to STALKER and Fallout 3/NV. I was really getting bored with the linear shooters,those games revitalized my interest in FPS's.

Then you have the space genre. There is SO Much that coujld be done these days with a AAA budget and things.

Where you could do everything from join a rebel force, cclimb up the ladder and become the leader and one day take over galaxies. Or you could simply chooes to be a lone wolf, get a very small, but very high tech "stealth" ship that can cloak an dthings. Where you could actually get OUT of the ship (as in your character) , imagine cloaking and going right up onto a large ship that's carrying some important npc. You latch onto it with your ship, then go outside and walk around in zero-g and cut your way inside the other ship and then when inside the game players out like an fps/action-rpg.

Have it where you can enter/exist worlds by actualy FLYING through the atmosphere and landing. Where the worlds are actually varied, and not just "earth copy earth copy."

Where you could find people to join your ship for various parts of your crew, with many that have deep backstories (think Bioware style characters) and things.

Stiler, I think we think alike. I've thought about similar concepts as this for a while now. Basically a seamless galaxy/universe that you can explore freely. Would be one huge game...but a damn good one.

Stiler, I think we think alike. I've thought about similar concepts as this for a while now. Basically a seamless galaxy/universe that you can explore freely. Would be one huge game...but a damn good one.

A modern rendition of Frontier.

Back