Can anti-virus scan the inside of a RAR or zip file?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Happy Hopping, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping [H]ardness Supreme

currently, I'm using CA Security suite, I'm wondering if I can use the anti-virus to scan the inside of a RAR file, which composed of dozens of files, and confirm if there is a virus inside the packed rar file or not

2. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

NOD32 does... perhaps the CA cra--- uhmmm... product has an option to scan inside archives that needs to be enabled (seems like it should be on by default; it is with NOD32). :D

3. J32P

J32P [H]ard|Gawd

Avira Antivir Premium scans inside rars as well by default. I just double checked:D

4. alphanumeric

alphanumeric Gawd

5. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

I think pretty much all decent AV programs will have the ability to scan rar and zip files.

Just to add, Avast will scan them as well. You have to enable the option inside the scan settings control panel.

6. Klob

Klob Gawd

One thing I have noticed with Avast is that it can't scan password protected files. I have some files in a few matrixgames I own and Avast always reports that it couldn't scan some password protected files in those matrixgame folders. Is that normal or just an Avast thing?

7. number69

number69 [H]ard|Gawd

That's normal for a AV program not to be able to scan password protected files.