Can anti-glare be removed?

ya cha cha

[H]ard|Gawd
So I know dell and other companies are selling laptop lcd's without the anti-glare protection and it makes the screens a lot clearer and nicer to look at. I was wondering if anyone has tried removing the anti-glare off of an lcd and if it will ruin it or make it look like the newer lcd's.

Considering you would probably have to sand down the screen and wax it to make it glossy in order to achieve this, I don't think it practical and you would probably just destroy the monitor in the process.

i believe Sony is selling these glossy screen LCD, the HSx5 series with X-black. it improve the black depth and display looks almost like CRT. but some claim the x-black make the screen looks like a mirror. personally, i never find the faint reflection a problem and i dont think most do. since when did anyone ever complaint about AG tube being a mirror?

kurtlim said:
i believe Sony is selling these glossy screen LCD, the HSx5 series with X-black. it improve the black depth and display looks almost like CRT. but some claim the x-black make the screen looks like a mirror. personally, i never find the faint reflection a problem and i dont think most do. since when did anyone ever complaint about AG tube being a mirror?
X-Black is IMO even more reflective than any CRT out there. Also, although X-Black should in theory improve blacks, in practice that's not the case. In that review, the measured black level is 0.8 cd/m² which is the worst result for a VA panel I've seen yet.

My opinion (FWIW) is that this whole glossy thing is a gimmick.

Just another gimmik to sell screens and a big step backwords.

I remember when antiglare ( a fantastic innovation) first became available for CRT's. Before that, I was getting substantial eye strain both form glare and from spherical aberation (tubes).

I have a Sony TR1 which is fine as the screen is so small so the reflections are also,

Of courese; 'diferent strokes'

Glossy screen LCD's do look very good, but I know I will get eye strain if I stare at them for any extended period of time.

Back