Can a video card get old and slow?

Im not sure if its maybe that time to buy a new one, however you all tell me if this is usuall.
I play counterstrike which doesnt take much to run. I have a 9800pro, the game used to run fine, now all the sudden i was playing yesterday and the game was video lagging. Im wondering if the card is old and cant perform like it used to. I just dusted the whole system. and within 6 months again i took off the heatsink and put some artic silver 5 back on it. its not overclocked with the newest drivers. LMK

Thanks

Probably not hardware related. I'd say you've got some opengl setting that CS doesn't like. Perhaps you have turned on/off vsync?

Ebenol said:
Probably not hardware related. I'd say you've got some opengl setting that CS doesn't like. Perhaps you have turned on/off vsync?

Try a fresh install of windows xp... most likely you junked up your system with too many programs etc... fresh installs are a good starting point. I do it about every 3 mos.

1. Format hard drive
2. Reinstall windows
3. Update windows
4. Installed most used programs
5. Create hard drive image

If your computer ever gets slow or virus/spam infested you can now restore your computer with the HD image in 5-10 mins to perfect condition.

The hardware doesn't 'get slow', it either works or it doesn't work. What does get slow is software, namely Windows. And of course new games pushing the hardware harder.

Sunin said:
Try a fresh install of windows xp... most likely you junked up your system with too many programs etc... fresh installs are a good starting point. I do it about every 3 mos.

Whoa... while a fresh install for XP is good, I usually only do it once every two years...

Back