Can a powersupply kill a motherboard?

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1028649231#post1028649231
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1028647921#post1028647921

Basically, i bought system upgrades at tigerdirect.com. asus a8nprem, evga 7800gt, silverstone 680wpsu, 1gb crucial ballistix.

The short version: I had to install fresh xp install. Booted a few times, terrible stability. one final crash after windows update, system will not post. All temperatures are fine. The scythe ninja keeps idle temps below 30c with as5.

The psu makes the lights dim a bit, and makes a tick when you switch it on, from off...i'm wondering if the psu is bad, or is that normal for high power supplies? I would really like to know if RA just the motherboard would be advisable here? The sli light is always off on the mainboard-not sure if that's standard procedure either.

Yes a bad power supply can harm a mianboard.

Is the supply going Tick-tick-tick? that can indicate the power supply is in a repeating cycle of starting up, being unable to limit the regulated voltage to a safe value.

Also:

Are you building this as a bench build instead of inside a computer case, maybe give that a try...

MD

thanks for the reply! Getting a bit impatient here :(. I really wish this system would work, problem free...oh well

:)

No, just a single tick, like a relay almost. I would like to think the psu is just powerful, and makes the lights dim a bit. I wouldn't see why the psu would cause system instability like that. I have really bad feelings about the psu killing the board, the video card and my $500 opteron though. What would you do in that situation?

I'll try the bench build. It's inside my case right now. If i'm going to rma the board i'll have take everything out anyways.. Why would a bench build work, but not in a case?

How do you tell if a psu is 'bad'? dont they load/voltage test them before sending them out? I have alot of money on the line here :(

Back