Can a person who hack your PC, hack into your phone?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a friend who's PC is hacked, files got deleted, some1 was using his PC. And he keep telling me that some1 (presumably the same person) is listening to his phone conversation. Is that possible?

I know hacker can hack in your a cellular phone's voice mesg., but he's suspecting his home ground line and cellular phone line, and literally listening to all those conversation.

Now from what I know, that's not possible. True?

Possible? Maybe? But not likely happening to your friend in this situation. If he is concerned that his phone has been compromised by some kind of software or malicious app than delete it or factory reset the phone.

Can you go into more detail about how his PC was hacked?

Probably.

Hell, there was the case of noted security firm HBGary...that that threatened to piss in the cheerios of Anonymous. Anonymous proceeded to break into their email servers and post all their confidential email correspondence on bit torrent...Anonymous also utterly destroyed their website, as well as all backups....Anonymous went so far as to remote-wipe the CEO's iPad.

If you can remote "hack" an iPad...you can probably do the same to a smartphone if you're determined and out for blood.

Possible? Maybe? But not likely happening to your friend in this situation. If he is concerned that his phone has been compromised by some kind of software or malicious app than delete it or factory reset the phone.

Can you go into more detail about how his PC was hacked?

No1 knows how he got hacked. Best guess is his children has some online games, and post their IP address, and the hacker hacked thru. That's something I have seen before

But he thinks that his phone conversation is being listened to by the hacker as we speak, and I just can't see how

Landline or cell phone? If landline, does that computer have a modem? I suppose it's possible. cell phone? I can't see how since the voice path has nothing to do with the network, it's it's own sperate network. Technically if someone can hack into the phone to listen to the convo it would not require to go through a PC first. Also one would not really need to hack "into" a phone but rather decrypt the stream since every phone gets it. I'm sure the NSA, FBI, CIA and other alphabet agencies can do it easily. The sim card is basically your personal encryption key.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure you would have to be at the network provider, or even the connected-to cell tower in order to get the voice packets. Short of that, assuming that is even possible to begin with, you could perhaps intercept the packets before relaying them to the intended recipient, but that would require a Cell Tower Simulator (some of the first links of my Google results: here, here and especially here but only the last post.)

Theory and incredibly expensive crap aside, the only reasonable method I can personally think of would also not be live-eavesdropping. It would require a phone call recording app (as they are available, at least I know for Android) and hidden in the App menu; probably BusyBox also installed and hidden, with probably an intricate script written to activate said recorder app upon answering or making a call; then sending said recording after finished to some FTP or dropbox.

MIND YOU: I don't know how to code, the inner workings of Android, or even Linux for that matter. I am merely speculating by taking bits and pieces of info I know and sticking them together like LEGO into a logical-sounding theory :p

[This assumes Android is being used] If he reallllly is paranoid then I suggest that he backup his Contacts ONLY (with Google's Sync not an app, or preferably hand writing them all lol), downloading the manufacturer's latest ROM release on your PC since it isn't suspected as being hacked/infected (XDA-developers.com would be the easiest place for both the file AND a tutorial) along with something like Odin or Heimdal for Samsung, or similar program for whatever manufacture makes his phone. Then use said program to flash that downloaded ROM which in the process will wipe everything, included any core OS components that would be simply restored again if you only did a Factory Reset.

[/tinfoil hat mode]

Here's a helpful link : http:///xiYgH3

It's extremely unlikely that your friend is having any conversation monitored by a private individual. As has been said, the expense involved would be insane.

Furthermore, if someone had the means to monitor his landline and cell calls he would have no way to identify that they were doing so. Kinda defeats the purpose if people know they're being tapped.

Is your friend the president of the United States or something? This seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to monitor one random person.

Another possibility is that the malware is using the microphone built into his PC inorder to listen for passwords and things.

I got some more info. According to him, it's some1 that he knows locally. That person got his Router info, and as we all know, the password is "admin." His cellular phone was also hacked, and not sure if it's his phone first, or the PC first.

Now, this is the part that got wild: the integrated amp. has a wireless feature, and according to him, the integrated amp. got turn on and off by itself. Likewise TV got turn on and off since then.

Police and phone co. was contacted, they won't do anything

I don't do hacking, so I can't fig. out how can stereo or TV be turn on randomly. To do so, that person has to be near by

If a hacker has gained access to his network AND his stereo and TV both have features for using network remote (only one could but they would have to be connected and both supporting CEC). Tell him the love of god to change the default password for wifi and router admin, blus use only WPA or WPA2, disable WAP ( can be hacked with ease). Plus close up any ports his kids may have opened for gaming.

As to the mobile phone, if its a smart phone it can only be listened to if he has it rooted and was a victim of Man in the Middle attacks (Only if they had access to his network or they fallowed him to a coffee shop and he used wifi). The only other way is if they setup a GSM snooping tower (his phone would need to be a GSM phone not connected to 3g or 4g as then voip is often used on smart phones) But that can cost upwards of a $1000 to setup and take lots of effort (so in other words not likely) also he would know because he would not show up as his number on other's phones.

I used to work for multiple ISP's/phone companies.

The amount of crazy retarded shit you hear on a weekly basis by idiots thinking they are being hacked/wiretapped is ridiculous. Your friend is just an idiot, just agree with him and tell him to call the FBI or something.

I once had a call from a lady who literally told me in 100% seriousness that Little Wayne and Nicki Minaj(sp?) crawled under her house and cut a trap door in her floor and stole the lyrics to a song she was writing. (the lady said she was a songwriter) I promise you she was 100% serious.

Alright, let's use induction on this: for the sake of argument, let's assume some1 did manage to remotely control his TV or integrated amplifier, does that person has to be near by, i.e., driving by his house to send that signal?

If a hacker has gained access to his network AND his stereo and TV both have features for using network remote (only one could but they would have to be connected and both supporting CEC). Tell him the love of god to change the default password for wifi and router admin, blus use only WPA or WPA2, disable WAP ( can be hacked with ease). Plus close up any ports his kids may have opened for gaming.

I don't know much about stereo and TV, how does a TV, has a "network remote"? I suppose I can see a TV connects to a DVR or NetFlix could have a network remote, but you can hack into that? Not to mention stereo amplifier, hey, my amplifier is just a cheap piece of junk, can you heck into a stereo amplifier? They have network remote of some sort?

I got some more info. According to him, it's some1 that he knows locally. That person got his Router info, and as we all know, the password is "admin." His cellular phone was also hacked, and not sure if it's his phone first, or the PC first.

Now, this is the part that got wild: the integrated amp. has a wireless feature, and according to him, the integrated amp. got turn on and off by itself. Likewise TV got turn on and off since then.

Police and phone co. was contacted, they won't do anything

I don't do hacking, so I can't fig. out how can stereo or TV be turn on randomly. To do so, that person has to be near by
I wish I was, but I wasn't kidding before. It sounds like your friend seriously needs some medical attention - try to talk him into talking to a professional about this.

I had a similar thing happen with a very close friend - gave him the benefit of the doubt for a couple weeks, but it quickly deteriorated into accusations that I was an undercover cop, that restaurants were poisoning him, that everyone wearing a hat was part of an undercover syndicate trying to force him to smoke drugs... get help early and it'll be easier for everyone.

Look, I have been in this industry for 20 years. I do agree this is hard to believe. But he also said that no1 believe him after he called the phone co. and the police. However, I believe in logic and reasoning, so it's not a matter of whether he is telling the truth, rather, what facts support his story.

So if it can be done, that some1 use some sort of hacking technique to control his TV, then he could be telling the truth. Now, my limited understanding on TV is that they are designed to accept infrared signal, so this shouldn't be possible.

But some TV does allow you to connect to Netflix, which is thru the RJ-45 port, so I don't know if it's possible to control his TV thru that port or not. Likewise, same deal w/ his amplifier

However, I believe in logic and reasoning, so it's not a matter of whether he is telling the truth, rather, what facts support his story.

What, exactly, are the facts that support this story?

the integrated amp. got turn on and off by itself. Likewise TV got turn on and off since then.

His TV was off. He thinks someone turned it on and then turned it back off. Was he sitting there when it turned on and back off? If not, how exactly does he know it was turned on and off? Was it on a different channel or something?

What logic says someone would waste their time trying to get into a @#$%^ TV and stereo? What logic is being used for him to think someone is listening to his conversations? Better yet, what logic is used to confirm "some1 was using his pc"?

Alright, let's use induction on this: for the sake of argument, let's assume some1 did manage to remotely control his TV or integrated amplifier,

I'd wonder how a TV or stereo would handle being sent a malformed packet. Can you DDoS a TV by sending a crap ton of packets? Hell, is the network interface even running when the TV is off?

My TV has an RJ45 port that would only be used for firmware upgrades. Who knows what type of foolishness could be done via that port? Assuming it is a network port, I'd bet there are all sorts of commands for testing, but jumping to the conclusion a hacker is attacking his TV is beyond ridiculous.

Look, I have been in this industry for 20 years. I do agree this is hard to believe. But he also said that no1 believe him after he called the phone co. and the police. However, I believe in logic and reasoning, so it's not a matter of whether he is telling the truth, rather, what facts support his story.

So if it can be done, that some1 use some sort of hacking technique to control his TV, then he could be telling the truth. Now, my limited understanding on TV is that they are designed to accept infrared signal, so this shouldn't be possible.

But some TV does allow you to connect to Netflix, which is thru the RJ-45 port, so I don't know if it's possible to control his TV thru that port or not. Likewise, same deal w/ his amplifier
I know first hand that it's hard to believe that a friend might be sick, but please, PLEASE stop encouraging his delusions.

It is extremely likely has no proof, and will stall and say things like "I just know" or "I can't tell you", or "I'm still working it out" when you corner him with logic and reason looking to reason this out. This isn't fun for him either - it's entirely involuntary and extremely scary. It's like being locked in your own brain with thoughts you can't help but believe, no matter how irrational. The first step is convincing him to talk to a qualified professional.

If you're in the USA : http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/find-help/index.shtml
If you're in Canada : http://www.cmha.ca/mental-health/find-help/

I don't know much about stereo and TV, how does a TV, has a "network remote"? I suppose I can see a TV connects to a DVR or NetFlix could have a network remote, but you can hack into that? Not to mention stereo amplifier, hey, my amplifier is just a cheap piece of junk, can you heck into a stereo amplifier? They have network remote of some sort?

Newer TVs (aka smart tvs) can have apps for smart phones that can act as a remote so its all http based systems, same goes for high end amps, now if his tv and amp are old then it is all in his head unless some one is using a high powered inferred beam to control it.

I would have to agree with the others on getting him some pro help. In all seriousness paranoia is not a fun thing to live with.

I know first hand that it's hard to believe that a friend might be sick, but please, PLEASE stop encouraging his delusions.

It is extremely likely has no proof, and will stall and say things like "I just know" or "I can't tell you", or "I'm still working it out" when you corner him with logic and reason looking to reason this out. This isn't fun for him either - it's entirely involuntary and extremely scary. It's like being locked in your own brain with thoughts you can't help but believe, no matter how irrational. The first step is convincing him to talk to a qualified professional.

If you're in the USA : http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/find-help/index.shtml
If you're in Canada : http://www.cmha.ca/mental-health/find-help/

This. So this.

It funny if someone is simply igorant...when mental illness is plainly visible, it ain't.

Few years ago, one of my guest bedroom light turned on and off by itself at about 2am. When I see the light was on, I tried to get to that room, then suddenly it turned off before I get there. That's freaked me out seriously, I was thinking maybe a ghost was teasing me. The problem was, the light fixture + ceiling fan with remote control (bought from HomeDepot) was interfered with some neighbor? After I changed the radio code, the problem is gone.

but jumping to the conclusion a hacker is attacking his TV is beyond ridiculous.

Despite my previous post of merely offering hypothetical scenarios, I want to make it clear that I highly doubt anything beyond his PC has been hacked.

HOWEVER, thinking of it as "beyond ridiculous" is just naive ignorance. [H] posted a news article recently to that search engine that would turn up open ports to network attached and controllable devices, be it a webcam or whatever. While the engine did indeed limit you to 10 searches and further required contacting them to provide specific details on what you're doing and why you're wanting to, but the fact remains: If he hasn't even changed the router password off "admin", he likely hasn't bothered to set additional preventative measures for any other connected device. That being said, it is quite likely that some random person could have stumbled upon his open network and was remotely having at laugh, be it found via that search engine or other more involved means. So to simply rule it out as likely because "hacking" a TV or a Receiver (stereo amp to most of you lol) because it might sound silly or even stupid, is itself pretty narrow-minded. Not all of us may do it if presented the opportunity, but consider this: if a friend or online buddy had said "hey I found a way to turn this random guy's TV and stereo on and off by <insert simple yet plausible method, like pinging with a certain packet size>, I bet it's freaking him out!", chances are a lot would probably go for it given the harmless nature of it all.

On the flip side, it might be someone just getting their feet wet in the hacking subculture and this happened to be one of their stepping stones in learning how to do this sort of thing. Mind you, I don't want to imply that it is right to do, all I'm saying is discounting it entirely as a plausible situation (IOW assuming it won't, can't or didn't happen) is no better than jumping to the conclusion that it has happened without any evidence.

That being said, I can't say anything for other brands, but [most] Samsung models use one of two methods to "hack" the TV and gain Root, neither of which are via network connection (one being a 3.5mm phono connection, or the other accessed via the VGA port). Isn't to say someone incredibly more knowledgeable than those who have brewed up the software to make SamyGO couldn't pull something off via WiFi or LAN, but I suspect if there was they would've caught wind of it and provided it as another method. But I digress, I have no idea the possibilities and access methods for other brands since I don't have them.

[/rambling rant]

^^ Missing my point.

Let's say "some1 hacked your pc". The next day, you car won't start. Jumping to the conclusion that this "hacker" found a way to island hop from your PC to your car is "beyond ridiculous".

It might be fully possible that this l33t h4x0r has found a way to interface your PC with the bluetooth on your car...but you should looks for more logical explanations first. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm saying "jumping to the conclusion" is "beyond ridiculous".

You may as well assume it was an alien, santa, elvis, or tupac AND then look for ways they could have caused it.

heh Fair enough, point taken :D

(BTW, it'd obviously be Elvis and Tupac teamed up, because we all know Santa doesn't exist and Aliens know we're far too easy of a mark to make pranking us all that much fun lol)

Alright, I went to see them last night. There is some cross current, meaning some of the things is unrelated:

1) there is no amplifier that were hack, just TV volume control, according to them

2) The ADSL router box is connected to TV, internet and phone. And you guess it, they use the default pwd: admin. Their PC was definitely hacked, w/ some files deleted. Other problems on PC are the usual windows problems

3) the people that they think were listening on the phone, is nothing but echo from NOT using that ?? noise/ signal reducer (the 1 you connect to your phone cord when you use ADSL)

So the PC part I can explain. It was hacked in, that we have all seen before. The only other abnormality is the TV volume control. I can't explain that 1. But knowing it's connected to the same router, can some1 monkey around a vol. control?

The only other abnormality is the TV volume control. I can't explain that 1. But knowing it's connected to the same router, can some1 monkey around a vol. control?

I'm not sure that filter fixes echo, but I guess I never really bothered to look into it, I just did what I was told lol

Anyways, are they sure that something just didn't... sit on the remote? lol I know I've done that before :cool:

So, whats your friend hiding, only asking cause hes realllllly paranoid

according to them, the volume just increase out of the blue

lol Would it, or would it not, appear as though the volume "increase out of the blue" if you unknowingly sat on the remote? :D I saw that lightheartedly but honestly, backing up what Doctah said, at that point he/they were probably jumping to conclusions and they likely deemed it being hacked before even considering a more logical or reasonable possibility.

But to be fair to them, I'm only able to speculate on potential events based on third-party reports of the incident (ie: through you). So for all I know they could've had remote in hand when sitting down, or had it siting in plain sight of everyone.

Also I had originally thought of this possibility but had forgotten to mention ... and research, but I did now lol Anyways, I seemed to have recalled that low batteries can (not saying "will, every time" or it could happened relatively often for that matter) make a remote do strange stuff, like issuing commands. I wasn't able to find any definitive answer provided by some sort of reliable source, they are all user responses to people asking questions, like this when asked why a TV in another room randomly turned on:
"Your remote batteries are low. Remotes are known to send off some weird signals when they're on the last bit of juice. Your TV could be interpreting infrared noise from your remote as an "On" command."​
The best source I found was on physicsforums.com and that suggestion again came up, though so did further [obvious] jokes indicating paranormal activity lol

At any rate, one doesn't know. As Poplap said, some Smart TVs are able to be controlled via apps over the LAN (WiFi or Cabled) and/or Bluetooth, depending on what the particular TV has support for. So given his network is probably easy to gain access to, locally or remotely, it could be done :p

There, got my daily hypothesizing out of the way! haha I should work in the Tinfoil Hat Brigade's think-tank! :eek: :cool:

To answer your original question. It is possible to listen in using your cell phone. It is actually easier and cheaper than you know. When you figure that your friend is going to be told he is paranoid and that no one will help him. BTW even if he had evidence the PD won't help him. They don't have jurisdiction. Trust me there are a lot of really sick people out there. Depending on your state it is called cyber stalking. You can really screw up someones life using things like these. Do yourself or your friend a favor. There are firms that are electronic forensic investigators that deal with this kind of thing. There are services that you can mail your devices out as well. It can be a little bit expensive, but they will provide cold hard evidence. Take the evidence to your local FBI office, give them a call. People do this kind of thing since it is new and hard to deal with. They figure that they can get away with it and that is just for lulz.

It took me all of two minutes to find two companies that offer such software. I would be willing to bet you could find these for free on a file sharing platform. Same thing goes for free RAT technology to hack into his computer. Easier and cheaper than you would think with someone wanting to mess you over.

http://www.mobistealth.com/mobile-phone-spy-software
http://www.stealthgenie.com/

To answer your original question. It is possible to listen in using your cell phone. It is actually easier and cheaper than you know. When you figure that your friend is going to be told he is paranoid and that no one will help him. BTW even if he had evidence the PD won't help him. They don't have jurisdiction. Trust me there are a lot of really sick people out there. Depending on your state it is called cyber stalking. You can really screw up someones life using things like these. Do yourself or your friend a favor. There are firms that are electronic forensic investigators that deal with this kind of thing. There are services that you can mail your devices out as well. It can be a little bit expensive, but they will provide cold hard evidence. Take the evidence to your local FBI office, give them a call. People do this kind of thing since it is new and hard to deal with. They figure that they can get away with it and that is just for lulz.

It took me all of two minutes to find two companies that offer such software. I would be willing to bet you could find these for free on a file sharing platform. Same thing goes for free RAT technology to hack into his computer. Easier and cheaper than you would think with someone wanting to mess you over.

http://www.mobistealth.com/mobile-phone-spy-software
http://www.stealthgenie.com/

Too bad those are oversold garbage - all of which require root/jailbroken sets and physical access.
Look at their awesome astroturfing: http://www.phonespyapps.com/mobile-phone-spy-software-reviews/stealthgenie-reviews
And Here : http://spyphonesoftwarecenter.weebly.com/a-real-stealthgenie-review.html

Even what appears to be one of their shill "review blogs" clears up some misinformation, such as the fact that you absolutely positutely cannot install without physical access to the phone : http://spyzrus.com/remote-install-cell-spy-software-exposed/.

Also - for iPhones all this software requires it be jailbroken. For Android - it requires a root.
So, I would imagine you would notice is someone stole your phone and jailbroke it.... Just a hunch.

As for "going to the FBI" - I'd actually recommend this, but not for the reason you do, as they will likely haul off some dude who shows up ranting about how people are spying on his phone calls and turning his TV off, for a sitdown with a nice Doctor. Whatever gets him help.

I would hardily recommend going to the FBI, AFTER you have taken it in for inspection. They are there to serve and protect you. You have the evidence from a third party investigator, and they have teams of well trained guys in which to investigate. BTW I didn't make any reference to the TV turning on and off, as it wasn't part of the original question. Please stay on topic if you are going to criticize. BTW I'm not going to spend any free time proving you wrong. If law enforcement doesn't need access, what is stopping someone in the know from doing it?

What I am saying that if someone is that out for blood that they could steal your phone while you are taking a deus in the bathroom at work, and put it back before you notice. Then again you may take your cell phone everywhere including the bathroom. Although that may be a reason for someone to not touch your cell phone. lol

Just saying it is possible, and that there is a methodology that someone can get relief if needed. If his friend suspects it, get it checked out. If they find nothing then go see a specialist for that issue.

I would hardily recommend going to the FBI, AFTER you have taken it in for inspection. They are there to serve and protect you. You have the evidence from a third party investigator, and they have teams of well trained guys in which to investigate. BTW I didn't make any reference to the TV turning on and off, as it wasn't part of the original question. Please stay on topic if you are going to criticize. BTW I'm not going to spend any free time proving you wrong. If law enforcement doesn't need access, what is stopping someone in the know from doing it?

What I am saying that if someone is that out for blood that they could steal your phone while you are taking a deus in the bathroom at work, and put it back before you notice. Then again you may take your cell phone everywhere including the bathroom. Although that may be a reason for someone to not touch your cell phone. lol

Just saying it is possible, and that there is a methodology that someone can get relief if needed. If his friend suspects it, get it checked out. If they find nothing then go see a specialist for that issue.

No one here is saying its impossible. We're just saying that the time and money involved is so over the top, it's usually only seen monitoring dictators in third world nations, not for monitoring Joe Blow from Crazytown, USA.

Lol.... Your friend is either a complete moron or has mental issues.

OP do you not know how to type "one" instead of "1"? It`s only two more bloody characters....

Lol.... Your friend is either a complete moron or has mental issues.

OP do you not know how to type "one" instead of "1"? It`s only two more bloody characters....
That is time wasted u no? :p

I don't know why anybody would leave their router with the default settings...... :eek:

Looking back, clearly they have a hack via the router to the PC. I think somehow the IP addr. was leaked, then the hacker goes in thru the default router pwd.

Beyond that, I don't know much about a router box that support phone, internet and TV. So does hacking 1 part means you can control the other 2 part? I don't use those ADSL junk technology anymore.

Clearly, some of the stuff they are seeing is unrelated to the hack. Now, they also said the days where there is a lot of un-explained electronic incidents in the house, is the days where a car, not from the neighbors, was packing out.

Their paranoid clearly can explain some of it, but I don't know about all of it. The important thing is, the pwd. has been changed, and all other security of the router box has been done. So I'm expecting the other electronics will no longer has unexplain incident from this day on

Looking back, clearly they have a hack via the router to the PC. I think somehow the IP addr. was leaked, then the hacker goes in thru the default router pwd.

Beyond that, I don't know much about a router box that support phone, internet and TV. So does hacking 1 part means you can control the other 2 part? I don't use those ADSL junk technology anymore.

Clearly, some of the stuff they are seeing is unrelated to the hack. Now, they also said the days where there is a lot of un-explained electronic incidents in the house, is the days where a car, not from the neighbors, was packing out.

Their paranoid clearly can explain some of it, but I don't know about all of it. The important thing is, the pwd. has been changed, and all other security of the router box has been done. So I'm expecting the other electronics will no longer has unexplain incident from this day on

1- Just because your public IP gets out, doesn't mean squat. It's not a social security number that you have to protect or hide.
2- Most routers don't allow access to the control panel from the WAN port. So even with the IP and the default password, they most likely couldn't get in (You would have to check on his specific model). It also might be an option you can set.
3- Logging into a router's control panel, only gets you into the router control panel...... It has nothing to do with hacking the PC. Pretty much the only thing someone could do with that is change your settings and/or take down your network (at least from the WAN side).
4- If he was "hacked" it was most likey from watching porn on a shady site that downloaded something to his PC. Tell him to clean his machine with any AV/AM tool he can, or re-install

Personally, it sounds like your friend is a moron, and is connecting a bunch of unrelated dots and concluding he is being hacked.

Back