Can a Hydraulic Press Crush Adamantium?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How would adamantium stand up to a hydraulic press if the material were real? We find out in this neat promo for the upcoming Wolverine movie. Someone needs to give Magneto a call.

Arguably the most famous aspect of the Wolverine character is his Adamantium skeleton, which makes him even more indestructible than his healing factor. Viewers have frequently debated amongst themselves just how strong the metal can be, and now a brand-new video looks to answer that question once and for all. Continuing the theme of releasing tie-in internet content, 20th Century Fox teamed up with the popular YouTube Channel Hydraulic Press Channel to answer the age-old question: What happens when you crush Adamantium claws with a hydraulic press? Be warned, the language in the video is NSFW – keeping in line with Logan‘s R-rated sensibilities.

Maybe the workplate would have held up better if it was made from the same material used in the piston, or at least Mithril.

Someone needs to give Magneto a call

At one point in the comic books, Magneto managed to rip all of the Adamantium out of Wolverines body, leaving him with regular bone claws (the claws themselves are actually part of his mutant ability)

Also, it was his healing ability that allowed him to get an Adamantium skeleton in the first place (as part of a top-secret Canadian military project, along with his future-rival Sabertooth)

At one point in the comic books, Magneto managed to rip all of the Adamantium out of Wolverines body, leaving him with regular bone claws (the claws themselves are actually part of his mutant ability)

Also, it was his healing ability that allowed him to get an Adamantium skeleton in the first place (as part of a top-secret Canadian military project, along with his future-rival Sabertooth)

You say this like you aren't on a forum for tech nerds or anything...while I am sure a majority of the population have no idea what you're talking about, I would think it would be the polar opposite here!

You say this like you aren't on a forum for tech nerds or anything...while I am sure a majority of the population have no idea what you're talking about, I would think it would be the polar opposite here!
Sorry, I comment on a lot of forums, sometimes I forget that HardOCP isn't as stupid as the rest of the internet (although the political arguments on here make me wonder sometimes...)

Now that was one very well done "fake video" if there's ever been one. :D

Of course I can nitpick it: the blades should have sliced right into the lower block immediately and not with that delay for effect but even so, great video. :p

Now that was one very well done "fake video" if there's ever been one. :D

Of course I can nitpick it: the blades should have sliced right into the lower block immediately and not with that delay for effect but even so, great video. :p

I figured it was silver-painted clay, with no special effects (other that movie-makeup in the hand) with a laser-cut aluminium block for the after-shot

with a laser-cut aluminium block
Wont be a laser cut aluminium. Laser's don't cut aluminium that well. Actually, they don't cut anything "soft" (alu, copper, brass) that well (not traditional CO2 commercial) inhrenently due to how they work. focused optics. Once the material melts it can cause beam reflection combined with being great thermal conductors make piecing and cutting them difficult. For example, a laser capable of cutting 20mm mediam carbon steel will only be rated to cut 12mm aluminium! Yep that soft, presumably easy to cut stuff!

My guess is abrasive jet cut and then polished for effect. ;)

PS. Was a great video! Good to see some humor + reality (cussing!) from Holywood.

I figured it was silver-painted clay, with no special effects (other that movie-makeup in the hand) with a laser-cut aluminium block for the after-shot
I think it was simply mirrors stuck on the clay or whatever it was.

As far as fake videos go this didn't seem very well done.

A guy that smashes stuff with a press for youtube should be criticized for the slightly subpar video editing that was in no way ever supposed to be taken more so than an obvious joke. What a bum. Fake.

The guy is a machine shop owner, not a cgi artist...
This video produced in partnership with 20th Century Fox

Regardless by that standard anyone can do anything and not get criticized no matter how shoddy work they do? Then I'll do a sculpture and no you don't get to criticize it because I'm not an artist or sculptor.

I've had enough about this mentality. This is how stupid ideas get passed on many forums, because others dare not criticise them in fear of hurting someone's feelings.

No bad workmanship and bad ideas should be called out at every opportunity.

Regardless by that standard anyone can do anything and not get criticized no matter how shoddy work they do? Then I'll do a sculpture and no you don't get to criticize it because I'm not an artist or sculptor.

I've had enough about this mentality. This is how stupid ideas get passed on many forums, because others dare not criticise them in fear of hurting someone's feelings.

Did it ever occur to you that his 'rally english' accent and the videos are intentionally crude as a part of their humor?

I used to doubt that mutants were among us...

;)

Great vid. Thanks.

Just needs a bigger press
China-80000-Ton-V4.jpg

Did it ever occur to you that his 'rally english' accent and the videos are intentionally crude as a part of their humor?

No response yet from M76... Anyhow, this guy makes great hydraulic press videos and his Beyond the press videos are good as well.

The guy is a machine shop owner, not a cgi artist...
i take it you missed the bit about it being a sponsored video by 20th Century Fox? You know, the guys that are "CGI" artists (as you put it).

i take it you missed the bit about it being a sponsored video by 20th Century Fox? You know, the guys that are "CGI" artists (as you put it).

20th Century Fox is not the producer however. It works in a way that people send him stuff to crush and he makes a podcast out of it. The idea is not to create cgi fake videos that are supposed to 'look real'.

I followed both their channels for several months, then they started chasing the latest YT fabs so I unsubscribed. Too much slow-mo stuff as well. I just grew bored of it.

That said, they're a funny and charismatic couple and I wish them continued success.

Love this channel and it's pretty cool they did this Logan thing.

35Iv5t4.png

20th Century Fox is not the producer however. It works in a way that people send him stuff to crush and he makes a podcast out of it. The idea is not to create cgi fake videos that are supposed to 'look real'.

You have no idea whats going on do you?

You have no idea whats going on do you?
Yeah, even things that start out as real on YouTube eventually end up fake for the sake of ratings or outside money. It's the YouTube equivalent of jumping the shark.
We have seen it before, like hobbyist reviewers who are eventually seduced by the (secretly) paid review.

You're obnoxious. Like bad workmanship and bad ideas, your bad posts should be called out at every opportunity.

Sorry, I comment on a lot of forums, sometimes I forget that HardOCP isn't as stupid as the rest of the internet (although the political arguments on here make me wonder sometimes...)

Oh no ! We're as stupid as the rest

We're just not ignorant stupid, we're informed stupid (y)

Back