Can a hacker Block Internet access?

HardLiner

Gawd
For the last month my Internet seems to get blocked or I lose connection just for a few minutes at time, it can't be my router because it will happen when it isn't hooked up.

My computer seems to be going slower like it is try to process something but when I check task manager the CPU usage is 0%, could I have a Trojan or virus that my antivirus isn't detecting? Is there any program that can tell me what outside connections may be getting into my computer.

What kind of router do you have? If it has a device list, you can see what MAC addies have connected to it since last reset, then just compare it to see if its not one of yours. What kind of wireless encryption do you have? If it's WPA/WPA2 than its unlikely someone has gotten into your router through wireless.

He said " it can't be my router because it will happen when it isn't hooked up"

So taking that at face value, i'd start looking at the modem after verifying there are no rouge software apps on your machine.
The easiest way to tell what your pc is connected to is a netstat.
Start > Run > CMD > Netstat -na

That will show you what is "connected". If you have any connections close down ALL software on the pc, Skype, Messangers, WebBrowsers ect. If you still have connections do an ARIN on them and see who owns them. More times than not i've discovered it was a background service i forgot about rather than a virus.

If you've got no connections but still get connection issues i'd say its a modem / service issue. I've had plenty of DSL and Cable modems do exactly that.

Looks like you were on facebook shortly before you did a netstat, so the connection to facebook is not active, and is about to disconnect, but is in a 'wait' mode to prevent closing a connection you may still be using.

Doesn't appear your pc is making any rouge connections :)

I don't use facebook, and haven't been there.

edit: it appears my FB videos's extension for Chrome has some sort of facebook element to it, could that be it?

Scan with Malwarebytes and / or Hitman Pro. I doubt highly its an infection, and more a hardware issue, but they are both free to scan with, so why question if, just do it and be sure thats not the case.

Most spyware won't block a net connection, cause...well, they want to continue to send you ads, and if they block your connection, how are they able to spam / scare you? It doesn't seem to mesh with their desired goals / needs, and thats to steal money / identity from you.

I had a problem with an old cable ISP, about every 1.5-2 hours on the nose it would drop connection, packets, everything, a hard reset is all that would work. Replaced the modem, same problem. Lines got moved, same problem. Finally gave up on them, moved to Uverse and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I'd give up its stability (yes I know its the evil giant AT&T, but its a great product)

I have scanned my computer with Malwarebytes/Avast/Spybot.... nothing detected.

I had a problem with an old cable ISP, about every 1.5-2 hours on the nose it would drop connection, packets, everything, a hard reset is all that would work.

I used to have the same problem as you a couple of years ago, it would cut out every couple hours I would have to restart my Cable modem and router for my intenet to come back it ended up being my router, I had to update the fireware and that fixed the problem for me. This is different though it will stop for like 5 minutes at a time and then come back. It hasn't done it for a while now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it was my ISP fault.

I will keep you guys posted if it starts again.

it could also be a DNS failure on your ISP's part. try using an openDNS address or googles' 8.8.8.8

google "how to change my dns" for instructions

It's generally not in the best interest of "hackers" to disable internet access.

Not to mention there is no point for a hacker to mess around with someones home computer. If you have nothing of value no hacker will waste their time.

You could load wireshark on your PC and when you notice a problem capture the packets to see if there is any rogue traffic or other problems.

If you have nothing of value no hacker will waste their time.

ehh... not only is this not a very good explanation for not securing your network, but you are forgetting that all hackers started out hacking because A) they wanted to learn B) it was fun. only some of them later transition to C) because you can make money or steal valuable stuff.

theres plenty of people out there who just poke around at computer networks for the fuck of it. "value" to a hacker does not necessarily mean money, it does also mean finding a playground network to have fun on.

It's generally not in the best interest of "hackers" to disable internet access.
sure it is. well not completely, but to disable the computer's user from hogging the available bandwidth and leaving it for the hacker to use. having no internet and having having your browser unable to connect to websites are two different things. many viruses will disable or cripple web browsers while still leaving a back channel connection open.

Back