Can a GTX590 handle 2x 27" 1440p monitors @ full resolution

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
Just picked up a pair of qnix 27's and getting ready to drop a gtx590 into a machine to test it out, but before I do, I just wanted to consult any of you guys to see if the gtx 590 can push that many pixels? Any idea? Thank you.

I'd venture it can drive the displays, but probably won't be able to run games maxed out at that resolution. That's a lot of pixels. Curious for a more well informed answer.

I'd venture it can drive the displays, but probably won't be able to run games maxed out at that resolution. That's a lot of pixels. Curious for a more well informed answer.

Yeah, I'm even more curious now than ever.

Also, I'm not looking to max anything out. I hardly notice some of those settings in max as it is anyway.

you looking to use both monitors at the same time to game? If so, you will not be running anything on ultra, high, or probably even medium at those resolutions on a 590.

you are nearly doubling the pixels going from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p one. It will take some power to run 2 of them at a decent framerate.

Last edited:
you looking to use both monitors at the same time to game? If so, you will not be running anything on ultra, high, or probably even medium at those resolutions on a 590.

you are nearly doubling the pixels going from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p one. It will take some power to run 2 of them at a decent framerate.

No, I'm looking to game on one monitor while web/email/whatever is on the other but I'd like them to be at both the same resolutions though.

yes for that requirements it will be work fine...

Nice. Thanks for the pro tip. If I do upgrade what should I upgrade to? GTX680/690?

Nice. Thanks for the pro tip. If I do upgrade what should I upgrade to? GTX680/690?

Your actual GTX 590 its more powerfull than the gtx 680... You could go SLI 680.. As dual 680 perform better the 690(680x2)... Better yet if are highly oc'd version....

Here you can check Reference 680SLI vs 590 : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/516?vs=585

That show an idea of how will perform vs ur card..

I went from a 1.5GB 580 to a 590, each at launch. The 590 was effectively 570SLI. This was for a 5760x1080 3D setup. The 590 was not enough. My only options were to go 590 x2 or go tri-sli 580 3GB. I chose the latter.

but for your needs... you could get away with a $100 card with two outputs. am I missing something?

but for your needs... you could get away with a $100 card with two outputs. am I missing something?

He said he wants to game on one monitor. Even if it's not at max settings, he's still going to need something rather beefy for 2560x1440

I went from a 1.5GB 580 to a 590, each at launch. The 590 was effectively 570SLI. This was for a 5760x1080 3D setup. The 590 was not enough. My only options were to go 590 x2 or go tri-sli 580 3GB. I chose the latter.

No, I'm looking to game on one monitor and email/web/whatever on the other at the same time. I can clearly tell that a $100 card will not work for what I want to do.

that makes more sense. you're going to run into non-GPU related issues doing this, however. you'll either have to run the game in windowed mode and force yourself to keep the cursor in the game window, or run the game fullscreen and have the cursor locked to the game (making the second screens content inaccessible unless you ALT+TAB out).

if you're okay with those options then you should be okay to proceed. I would personally find either of those scenarios annoying and unusable, but to each his own. you should be (technology capability-wise) able to do this. whether you'll find it actually a usable solution is another matter entirely.

that makes more sense. you're going to run into non-GPU related issues doing this, however. you'll either have to run the game in windowed mode and force yourself to keep the cursor in the game window, or run the game fullscreen and have the cursor locked to the game (making the second screens content inaccessible unless you ALT+TAB out).

if you're okay with those options then you should be okay to proceed. I would personally find either of those scenarios annoying and unusable, but to each his own. you should be (technology capability-wise) able to do this. whether you'll find it actually a usable solution is another matter entirely.

I've been running a pair of 24's off of a gtx8800 for a long time without issue. It is watercooled however, but it's been a champ for years and has gotten me by, but now that I'm pushing more pixels I will certainly need the bandwidth and power to do it. But I've been gaming and computing like this for years.

I had a GTX 590 once. It even had problem running modern games at max settings at 1900x1200, let alone 2x1440p. I would say you will have problem even running on a single 1440p, even at medium settings. This card is a dual downclocked 580 slapped into 1 card, with each downclocked 580 core performed close to a 570. I guess SLI scaling on modern games for Fermi architecture is no longer optimized by Nvidia, and there were moments in many games when my 590 was only running on 1 core, and the performance is nasty. For e.g, Crysis 3 will dropped to a single core during cutscense, effectively reducing framerate from 50s to 20s. No such problem is found in 690. the 1.5Gb VRam is also limiting, and I have seen stuttering even at my resolution. If I were you, I will wait for the 7xx series which will be out in a month's time and see if there will be a VRam increase.

I think I'll be waiting for a 7xx myself. seems like the logical way to go.

As someone who had one of these cards until recently (and was running 3xu2711's off it), it's fine. Basically, anything DX9 / Low to no AA, the 590 will dominate on one screen @ 2560x1440. However, moving onto more AA & DX11, I found I got better frames out of my 2gb 680 (Bioshock infinite was basically running on 'high' on the 590, everything turned on ultra on the 680 with less dipping). So it depends really.

As for screens, you can hang 3 monitors and a tv off of a 590 (which is cool), do surround, all that jazz.

Back