can a 940 pin cpu work on a 939 mobo?

neloangelo

n00b
can a 940 pin cpu work on a 939 mobo? and If they do fit will there be any problems in performance?

no, the pin count is different and it shouldn't physically fit without a bit of pin bending, which will kill your cpu

it wont work. u will break the mobo if u try to put a 940 pin chip in a 939 mobo

The difference between the two is not just that one pin. The pins probably carry out different functions. Also there are 4 points on the bottom of the CPU where there are a couple of gaps in the pins. s939 CPUs have these gaps in different places so you'd have to move sections of pins over a few rows before these would fit into the socket. Finally, s940 CPU's are built on a different architecture. They are multiplier unlocked Opterons basically. They require registered memory whereas s939 processors do not support registered memory so the memory would be another issue in swapping them.

If you have bent pins and bend them back with your fingernails, would that cause the cpu to run hotter?

Well I got a 3200+ off here and it works great but the temps idle are 50C. I've tryed the stock cooling, Zalman7000A, and 2 types of thermal paste and all are around 48-52C...

I have that same setup in an Aira case; I idle at 42 and at 100% I’m around 52c. That machine is at 100% all the time and those temps seem to be a non-issue. Depending in which revision board you have check for a bios update. A few were released with the old bios which did read high.

Also make sure you have good case ventilation so that warm air can get out. Oh, double check the airflow on your HFS, make sure it’s blowing into the cooler, not sucking out.

Luck

Back