Camera suggestions for a newbie?

Xelation

Weaksauce
Ok, I've done some googling, searching and what not but I would really like a firsthand suggestion from someone who's been there and done that... etc..

I am leaving for an Afghanistan deployment in a couple of months and I am looking for a decent, easy to use camera to take pictures of my travels and my time overseas.

I want something to quickly and accurately snap pictures. I don't wanna have to aim and hold the camera for a few seconds like regular cameras... Mind you, I'm gonna be mainly on a blackhawk helicopter overseas and would love to take pictures of the view from inside the helicopter...

I had a friend suggestion the Nikon 3000:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-D...SV5I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322163364&sr=8-4

I am open to ANY suggestions, please keep in mind that I am not a professional photographer so I do not need a supersize lens or uber $5000 camera.

Thank you, and happy thanksgiving!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am camera noob and I have the D3000 and I like it. It is easy to use and the quality of the photos is great.

Just a quick question on that amazon link.

The title says: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

Will those lens be more than enough for me?

I would say, you might as well upgrade to the newer d3100, rather than the d3000.
If you prefer Canon it's comparable to the T2i or T3i.
If you'd rather do more compact. I would recommend the Canon s95 or the upcoming s100. For slightly larger, I would go for the G12 or P7000.
There are a lot of options. Size, lenses, speed, cost. There are plenty of variables you could dive into, hopefully those will get you started.

Just a quick question on that amazon link.

The title says: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

Will those lens be more than enough for me?

The d3000 has a crop factor of 1.5. So the zoom length in actual 35mm is 27-82.5. That covers the mid zoom range quite nicely. It might be nice to have something a bit wider, but it should do well for general purpose.

If you want super zoomed in shots, it won't do that, but for general use, the range will be fine. The kit lens will be more than enough to use and learn off of.

I would prefer to get a camera that has the focus motor built in,that way you can buy older prime lens...(like a D90 or a D7000 if you can afford them)means more choices for lens and maybe easier on your pocketbook.

Honestly (because I have been in the military and been deployed many, many times) I think a decent P&S would be ideal. Just because lugging around a DSLR on top of lugging your gear can be cumbersome.. Something like a G12, Fuji X10, etc would be ideal.

If you are looking into getting something more DSLRish, the micro 3/4 camera are not too bad, like the Sony NEX-7 or NEX-5N

Another decent camera is the new Nikon V1 or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1.

If I had to choose a low/mid range Nikon I would choose the 5100 or 3100 over the 3000 any day.

I just got the d3100 as my first DSLR and I love, perfect for beginners with the on screen tutorials.

Ok, I've done some googling, searching and what not but I would really like a firsthand suggestion from someone who's been there and done that... etc..

I am leaving for an Afghanistan deployment in a couple of months and I am looking for a decent, easy to use camera to take pictures of my travels and my time overseas.

I want something to quickly and accurately snap pictures. I don't wanna have to aim and hold the camera for a few seconds like regular cameras... Mind you, I'm gonna be mainly on a blackhawk helicopter overseas and would love to take pictures of the view from inside the helicopter...

I had a friend suggestion the Nikon 3000:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-D...SV5I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322163364&sr=8-4

I am open to ANY suggestions, please keep in mind that I am not a professional photographer so I do not need a supersize lens or uber $5000 camera.

Thank you, and happy thanksgiving!

You've probably already bought it, but if you haven't spring for the D3100... Just get the body only... save that cash and then grab the Nikon 1.8G 35mm Prime lens.

I've got the D3000 and while its a good camera I think the D3100 or D5100 (if you can afford it) are much better. I found I don't ever use the kit lens, at all (In fact I don't even know where I've put it) the 35mm prime is only $200 and it's really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325899828&sr=1-1

Get the Panasonic DMC-TS3. Its a small, ultra compact point+shoot. Has GPS. Waterproof and shockproof.

Back