Camelot Unchained - New MMO Kickstarter Project

Pantheon is like a EQ1 reboot. I had a great time in EQ1 (played on PvP servers), and the new game will also have PvP servers. I think great/difficult PvE combined with PvP is actually quite a fun thing. Hopefully it can rekindle some of that experience.

I,m way more stoked for Pantheon rise of the fallen Ashes of creation also looks good. Camelot unchained needs PVE still holding out for that.

I,m way more stoked for Pantheon rise of the fallen Ashes of creation also looks good. Camelot unchained needs PVE still holding out for that.
The whole point of Camelot unchained is that rvr is the game. Did you read what you were even getting into :p?

Yeah I know I wanted to see what the game was about yet right now I'm really not impressed.

The whole point of Camelot unchained is that rvr is the game. Did you read what you were even getting into :p?

While I agree, I do think PvE has its place too. DAoC had a great balance of PvE and RvR. I basically would like CU to be an updated DAoC, since that was one of the best MMORPGs ever.

Reactions: Skott
like this
Oh jeez I was the last to post about this game over a year ago. I wonder if this game is basically dead from what I find online.

As a huge fan of DAOC, I expected more, at this point.
Such as? They just added the support classes so now they need to get the crafting classes in for me to start testing. I always intended to be a crafter but 99% of the backers just wanted to PvP so that's the core done thus far.

Such as? They just added the support classes so now they need to get the crafting classes in for me to start testing. I always intended to be a crafter but 99% of the backers just wanted to PvP so that's the core done thus far.

Videos just seem hollow, gameplay wise. I was in the DAOC beta in 2000 to release in 2001. In 5 years, Camelot Unchained is still firmly a rough beta. In 5 years, DAoC went from release to having several major expansions out.

Sadly it looks like it's not going to be the MMORPG I was hoping for. I want a living breathing world that can rival the likes of daoc or EverQuest while still having good pvp. Npcs and pve seem to be sorely lacking in this game. Pantheon is probably going to be my best bet even though it's not a pvp game

Well MJ created DAoC and he also fucked it up. He said a while back he learned his lesson. We'll see. Hopefully he has.

Tbh, all of the self funded mmo's look like garbage at this point, and none have a solid completion/publish date.

I'm sitting here waiting for Pantheon not to suck and actually release.

Tbh, all of the self funded mmo's look like garbage at this point, and none have a solid completion/publish date.

I'm sitting here waiting for Pantheon not to suck and actually release.

That's not surprising. MMOs are really, REALLY expensive to develop. It's a lot more work than a single player game, what with needing all the client server architecture, and you have to have a large scope, you can't just keep the size small to keep costs down as smaller SP games often do. So you just need big funding to make it happen. Means that crowdsourcing is extremely unlikely to work. All the MMOs that have made it have had large pools of funding behind them.

That aside, it is a really tough market to break in to. You have to bring in regular cash, either with a monthly fee or micro-transactions because the money to pay for the infrastructure and continual content development have to come from somewhere. But there's only so many games a person is willing to do that for, usually only one at a time. So you are trying to snipe players from other MMOs. Possible, of course, but there are lots of established MMOs out there you have to compete against. For example in this case one of your big competitors is Elder Scrolls Online. It's not DAoC, not even close, but you can tell it's RvR combat was inspired by DAoC. So if someone wants that 3-way seigecraft gameplay, well there's a game out there already that does it and looks very polished doing so. You have to pull them away from that, or from Guildwars, etc.

That's a tall order.

Most AAA games these days seem to take at least 5 years to make. Especially if its a MMO. I keep forgetting they are making this game until someone brings it up.

Reading on the CU forums CU is still alive but in what form remains to be seen.
LOL. Read up more... The game is fine. They hired more people and got a further investment from the current investors. This has sped up cu dev as most of the tech is shared and both games benefit. Please stop taking tripe from YouTube as if it's news. P, s. You're about a month late.

Last edited:
Wow that Ragnarok thing looks horrendous. I think I'll send in a refund request and see what happens. Virtually every kick-starter has burned me in one way or the other, not doing them again.

Wow that Ragnarok thing looks horrendous. I think I'll send in a refund request and see what happens. Virtually every kick-starter has burned me in one way or the other, not doing them again.

Yeah I swore off kickstarters after getting burned by the torment remake, and I am glad I did not support the bards tale 3. That ended up a huge trashfire too. Only kickstarter I was happy with was Bloodstained, all the other ones I did heavly disappointed me.

Checked my email: 2013, I gave these clowns $300. What TF was I smoking. Under Biden, that's like $1,100 today.

Never "crowd funding" anything ever again.

Checked my email: 2013, I gave these clowns $300. What TF was I smoking. Under Biden, that's like $1,100 today.

The way I see it - having in mind total lack of MMO choice in i'd say many years already - we should give CU all the support we can, not attack them; Tho they are OFC quite easy target if one wants to criticize.

At this point, I don't think anyone is really interested in taking that old nostalgia but not road. Anyone who has to scratch that itch can just play dark age of Camelot still. If they wanted realm vs realm but expanded, they should have gone a different art direction, less traditional style focused to softer edges that are easier to animate and add character to.

I've backed a LOT of crowdfunding projects. Most have been successful with the results from "good to amazing as a finished product, or ongoing evidence of development leading towards something good to amazing". A few have failed in one way or another, but I don't necessarily lament the money I spent. I'd rather see a project fail once in awhile that is trying to do something with ambition, unique designs, or ethical monetization rather than fewer and fewer games break out of industry norms which are increasingly pernicious towards players in monetization and design. Still, that doesn't mean I caannot be disappointed when a project goes under and/or makes a bad design decision, but overall it doesn't put me off backing projects of interest.

I'm trying out the Beta 1 this week because I have some time. I mean 9 years later not sure what to except.
I would rather try the Ashes of Creation Alpha but not sure how often that pops up don't own the game.
Or Patheon Rise of the Fallen.

Yea I canceled the install 25 gigs. They should of went the PVE route and used the gamebryo Engine it worked for Rift.

10 years later there is a bunch of negative videos on YouTube personally never thought waiting a decade would be one of them.

I didn't fund the game either. MJ created DAoC which I loved but he also ruined it. The man has no buisness making games anymore in my book. This just confirms it for me. I feel bad for those that got taken.

DAOC was perfect and the game was made in under 3 years he just had a good team back then. No way should of this game taken 10 years. It's not dead I still get emails on unstable builds.

First and only kickstarter I've done. :( I loved both daoc and Warhammer so I hoped he could do it again... Nope!
Kickstarters just aren't going to work for MMOs. They are too expensive. Even back in the day they cost a ton of money but now they REALLY cost a ton. Remember that the original DAoC was going up against games like Everquest which was, to put it mildly, garbage. There was so much shitty about EQ and UO which were really the only two things out there that you didn't have to produce a masterpiece to be competitive. You could just not be a complete dick to your player base and offer, well, anything but mindless grinding and be worth looking at.

Now though? You are competing with the likes of ESO, FF14, and WoW. All have their issues to be sure, but they are over all very well-done games with a lot to offer that are very polished. If you want to have any hope in the space, you have to compete with them and that's hard. People usually won't pay for more than 1 or MAYBE 2 MMOs at once so you have to be good enough for someone to leave one of those and come play your game.

That needs a lot more money to make happen, and Kickstarter just isn't going to raise those kind of funds. A couple million isn't going to do it, you are talking hundreds of millions.

Kickstarter is good for small, what I'll call "Alt-A" projects where you are making a more niche game that can be made on a small budget. It isn't good for something that needs a huge studio.

Back