Camelot Unchained - New MMO Kickstarter Project

Indeed, but I think it's worth a few bucks to find out :D. Good post.

Agreed. It's worth supporting to see what they will come up with anyway. DAoC came out of a tiny team making a niche game so I was willing to give them some cash, although I'm not overly optimistic. I went for the 110 dollars option.

I'm surprised there are so many diehard DAoC fans here... i think this and Shroud of the Avatar are almost in direct competition here, which should be interesting as well.

I want to be in for a large amount of money but the only thing holding me back is how long it will be before I see anything from my investment, lol.

I'm surprised there are so many diehard DAoC fans here... i think this and Shroud of the Avatar are almost in direct competition here, which should be interesting as well.

Yeah I'm backing SotA also, but it hits on my fond memories of <choir of angels>Ultima Online</choir of angels> more than DAoC.

Good update today announced two stretch goals.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...posts/452806email&show_token=bd2002b98233ca98

Announcing the "Depths," which is similar to Darkness Falls in DAOC. An RVR dungeon.

It contains mines, which contain some of the rarest/most valuable minerals in the game, great "forges" which your crafters need to make certain things, scavangeable materials, and also NPC's.

NPC's which the controlling realm of the Depths can control, which the other realm can also "take over" the npc's bodies and inhabit them, such as Ghosts/poltergeist, etc. Not things that have to necessarily "hurt' the other realms , but can annoy/pester them/scare them, etc.

Also they will have "boss" type NPC's which players can also inhabit, but they are still working on who/how this will work.

To be clear also, just as Mark has said before, NO PVE "Loot" drops, no PVE "leveling," you will ONLY get exp from killing those NPC monsters IF another REAL player is "inhabiting" it and controlling it (because naturally, that's PVP as well, not really PVE), still no loot drop though.

Also on top of this, the Depths will also have a kind of "tower defense" style mechanic, where crafters can set up traps (he mentions things like spikes crushing people, rocks falling onto them, I just pictured the classic Indiana Jones opening lol) and things.

Crafters can also set up "camera's" (think of like giant eyes, they don't look like modern "camera's" or anything) where the people can "watch" through them, and see the enemy realm falling into your traps and how it's going, etc. Also can use this as a distraction/red herring, placing them where there's no "traps" but because they are there and the enemy team can see them they might "assume" the area is booby trapped and try to find another way around.

It all sounds quite good, and Darkness Falls was amazing in DAOC.

I want to be in for a large amount of money but the only thing holding me back is how long it will be before I see anything from my investment, lol.

Same here... without even knowing whether I'll like it for sure and how far away launch would be, I just can't bring myself to gamble a ton. :(

DId they say what the stretch goal amounts were? I don't have time to watch the videos right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=61RRfy2lYVM#!

The Depths sounds awesome LOL

How are these stretch goals going to be met over 2 million or if they have time?

If the current rate of donations holds up it'll get funded but that's purely and only a possibility at the moment. It could very well not met that goal and perhaps not come anywhere close to a "stretch" goal.

As I said before in this thread I'll donate if it looks like it'll get funded but I still have my doubts on the game quality.

I really REALLY wanna be wrong though since I fucking loved DAOC's PVP system , Blizzard should study it in depth and make sure there next MMO steals from it in heaps.

If the current rate of donations holds up it'll get funded but that's purely and only a possibility at the moment. It could very well not met that goal and perhaps not come anywhere close to a "stretch" goal.

As I said before in this thread I'll donate if it looks like it'll get funded but I still have my doubts on the game quality.

I really REALLY wanna be wrong though since I fucking loved DAOC's PVP system , Blizzard should study it in depth and make sure there next MMO steals from it in heaps.

Why Wait? I see a lot of people "hold off" to donate until late to see if it will be funded or not, and that defeats the entire point of kickstarter.

There is zero reason not to donate now (if you plan to donate at all, if it reaches the goal, etc).

Kickstarter doesn't take ANY money out of your account unless a product meets its goal and gets funded. If it falls short it takes no money from your account, you lose nothing.

However by choosing not to donate, a lot of people can end up letting projects fail that they might have wanted to see succeed simply because they don't realize this.

IF it doesn't reach like 1,400,000 by end of next week I would be worried.
I think alot of DAOC fans are buried somewhere on the net or dead.

9781557042118.OL.0.m.jpg

I want this Game this bad =)

Why Wait? I see a lot of people "hold off" to donate until late to see if it will be funded or not, and that defeats the entire point of kickstarter.

There is zero reason not to donate now (if you plan to donate at all, if it reaches the goal, etc).

Kickstarter doesn't take ANY money out of your account unless a product meets its goal and gets funded. If it falls short it takes no money from your account, you lose nothing.

However by choosing not to donate, a lot of people can end up letting projects fail that they might have wanted to see succeed simply because they don't realize this.

Perhaps. I'll see where it is in a few days and make my decision then.

In for $250. Loved DAoC and loved WAR. I didn't like the Zerg aspect of them, but the battlegrounds were fun. The problem with WAR mostly was that engine was horrible or servers were horrible for city campaigns. Also in WAR both side would take areas for points and never go into direct conflicts. I am willing to give them another chance.

DAoC was the best MMORPG ever made in my opinion. The RvR style PvP was ahead of its time and is still better than any game to date.

I won't throw money at it though. The game has been there for years and no one has successfully implemented a similar style of PvP (even the creator of DAoC). I doubt they'll get it right this time. If they do, I'll buy it.

It sounds to me that Elder Scrolls Online will be pretty close to DAoC 2 type of game....not sure there is marketplace for two games like this. Although it will be 2+ years before we really see anything out of CU. I've been debating for two weeks now on whether or not to give money.

Big update today, and an even bigger one coming tomorrow.

Today's update talks about housing and structures:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/459705

"Minecraft" style building using "cells."

Houses can be lost/destoryed.

You can take "Blueprints" of structures which allow you to rebuild it (and faster), this sounds like bascialyl a way for crafters to "design" a house/structure and then to rebuild it like they saved it and thus don't have to go through the whole thing again

Realms can not only burn houses, but they can also "Salvage" houses, a crafter from the enemy realm can "deconstruct" houses to salvage the materials.

Supply lines/Caravans are confirmed! "Pre fab" built things can be hauled using these (IE siege engines,).

Items will decay if not kept up, plot of lands will be returned to the realm if someone leaves the game and isn't active for so long.

Walls have height ceilings.

You can build Walls,keeps, towers, "special items," Mentions magic users helping as well.

Structures can be captured, destoryed, deconstructed.

There are some materials that can be found in safe zones, but the rarer materials are found in the RVR areas.

Every update makes this game look better. I am worried though because they still have a lot to go, and the pledges have practically halted.

It won't get funded. Too ambitious, IMO. 75% of the effort should have been put into "this is how we are going to have 500 players on the screen at once and not lag" as opposed to all the stuff they have been putting out. Instead, they made one video showing something multiplying over and over and said "see, our engine is awesome now pay up." As it is now, the laundry list of things they want to do just seems so spread out and impossible given the scope of the project.

Don't think its too ambitious. 5 million to make 12 classes, a couple battle grounds, a couple open area RvR areas, and a crafting system in 3-4 years. The engine is pretty far long from the looks of it and they already have most of their ideas set in place. They could probably fund the last year with pre-orders too.

Don't think its too ambitious. 5 million to make 12 classes, a couple battle grounds, a couple open area RvR areas, and a crafting system in 3-4 years. The engine is pretty far long from the looks of it and they already have most of their ideas set in place. They could probably fund the last year with pre-orders too.

They didn't have half of that planned for Warhammer and they still fudged it up.

By not doing PvE they are taking a lot out of it. Also the leveling is more horizontal in the sense that there will be no levels, everyone plays together from day 1. They won't have to have 5 tiers of zones for artwork, quest stories, testers verifying areas. They need to make one big tier. WoW is rumored to cost $50 million and Age of Conan cost $25 million. I think they are doing a lot less content than 1/5th of Age of Conan or 1/10th of WoW when released. Especially given the experience of the team, I think they can easily do it.

$25 gets you the game (at half price) and access to the last beta. If the game doesn't fund, then we pay nothing.

650,000 in 8 days =) Hopefully it takes off this weekend towards the end =)

I'm kinda worried about the demo though I hope the game doesn't look too modern where it doesn't even look like DAOC or even Warhammer.

The houses concept art looked exactly like the DAoC houses. The character models themselves looked like fancy DAoC. The dragon race looked out of place. There is going to be a campaign to get it on the front page of redit on Friday. If that happens it will fund this weekend. I hope they get enough to make a Linux release stretch goal. I would hate to have to boot into windows to play the game or use wine.

How does the ST'RM look out of place? Actually fits in part of the lore someone posted about an old story that would fit them into the TDD realm quite well.

The thing that throws many people off though is the wing placement, being on their lower back/above their ass, rather then the usual shoulder area, though seeing the animation of the model it looked good imo. Plus it isn't final, like any of the others.

I do hope this gets funded, going to be a stretch.

485,000 dollars and it's good to go =)

I will kinda be shocked if it does make it 4 days isn't a whole lot of time I might change my pledge to 100.00 or something but really don't want to if I can avoid it.

If they keep the core game like DAOC it will be sweet

What I like about this game is no PvE leveling!!!! That was the problem with WAR, you had to PvE to get gear, in order to be able to attack higher level PvP targets. Same with DAoC, it was insane how much PvE you had to do to be viable in RvR. This game seems to be more friendly to casual gamers.

In the Depths, it will be a place to get crafting materials and other good stuff. Only one realm gets possession of it at a time. So it should change hands fairly quickly. The fun part is that you can set traps for the other realm before they get access. The traps can spawn NPCs, blow up bridges, rock falling traps. The best part of this is that you can set up cameras and watch as the other realm sets off your traps. That sounds so awesome.

309,000 and 54 hours to go =) someone sell their house and buy some accounts =) This has potential to be a really really good game.....

I guess the Amazon checkout is down for like a couple of hours so they are loosing money now because you can't check out through Amazon though kickstarter for some reason. So so if Kickstarter doesn't add time back on this thing might be over.

It looks like it's going to make it.

They have raised a TON in the last day or so, even though Amazon payments was down at the peak of a surge (over 4'ish hours yesterday, which hurt them) it has really picked up again.

At 1.94mil, only 40k left til it reaches the goal with 20 hours left.

BaM! It's funded.

Went quicker then expected too. Might actually have a chance to hit some stretch goals.

At 2.1million is the Archer class, hopefully it'll hit with time to spare.

edit - new stretch goals are on the main ks page.

2.1 Million Archers + One new race per realm (so 3 new races total).

2.250 million - Herald armory (I'm not sure what this is)

2.5 million - The Depths revealed and One more new race per realm (so another 3 races, totalling 6 new races if it reaches this).

Last edited:
Back