Camelot Unchained - New MMO Kickstarter Project

Paypal is still being accepted for pledges on the camelotunchained.com site! Get in now, let's meet the 2.5m goal!

Alpha starts tomorrow I have no idea if I have Alpha or Beta access I'm almost afraid to try it since I might not like the current direction.

cut paste Mark Jacobs email

Pre-Alpha Testing begins October 15th, 2014!

Folks,

A few months back, I had to stand before all of you (both literally and figuratively) in order to deliver bad news. That is certainly one of my least favorite parts of my job. Conversely, one of my favorite parts of my job is to be the bearer of good news. And today, well, I come bearing the latter!

I’m pleased to announce that on Weds. October 15th 2014, Camelot Unchained™ will begin its Pre-Alpha Testing period (also known as the P.A.T.s)! During the next five months, we will be opening up the most current build(s) of Camelot Unchained to our Backers whose tiers included Alpha testing access so that those folks can get a look at and also have some fun in the game.
We will talk about the testing schedule in greater detail tomorrow, but for now, I’ll simply say that we will start testing off with a bang (or BOOM!) by inviting all of our Alpha testers to check out the build this Wednesday. Our preliminary schedule is that we will have 3 testing times, respectively geared to European, East Coast US, and West Coast US time slots on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday of this week. Tomorrow I will announce the times, as well as talk about how the testing schedule will be laid out after that.

What is the most important news for today? That we are ready to share the progress that we have made with the game engine/build with the majority of our Backers! It seems like a long time since I had to announce the delay in the start of our Alpha testing yet it was only a couple of months ago. I hope that our P.A.T. period will demonstrate our commitment to making Camelot Unchained a great game and not just rushing a product out the door. Tomorrow I will also post a very detailed FAQ that will explain that our Alpha Backers will see when they venture forth into the current build.

I want to take this opportunity to thank our Backers, and especially our active IT folks, who helped make this possible. I also want to acknowledge the tremendous effort that our team made to deliver on our promises from a few months ago.

Tomorrow, I will release the schedule for the initial P.A.T., as well as post/send the aforementioned extensive P.A.T. FAQ, which should answer at least a few of your questions.

As always, on behalf of everyone at CSE, we thank you for your support!

-Mark

P.S. I did a Live Stream on Twitch today that covered this announcement. It can be found on YouTube here.

Has anyone tried to Alpha couldn't find anything on youtube ect.... I have like the Warrior package which included like Beta 1 2 or 3 the Alpha package was like 110.00 on Kickstarter.

Sb9MM7b5ZfSk.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

They really need NPCs in the game =) That was the whole fun of grinding in the game the RVR was nice but you had to get to level 50 to enjoy it.

I would take subpar graphics if it meant they could have 500+ players on screen at once with no lag and accurately interacting with each-other in battle. DAoC was my favorite game of all time, but it fell apart with those sorts of numbers on screen.

That being said, I'm skeptical that they can recreate the same feeling, basically DAOC++ so I am not funding the game. IF they can do it, I will gladly play.

I would take subpar graphics if it meant they could have 500+ players on screen at once with no lag and accurately interacting with each-other in battle. DAoC was my favorite game of all time, but it fell apart with those sorts of numbers on screen.

That being said, I'm skeptical that they can recreate the same feeling, basically DAOC++ so I am not funding the game. IF they can do it, I will gladly play.

^ This.

I am so hopeful, but I know it won't be able to match the original.

truth

If this game had PV-E I would be beyond stoked they have NPCs but they are like crafting NPCS but I haven't seen any gameplay really...
The Depths is the Dungeons the realms fight over so it could be interesting not sure if it will captivate me like DAOC which was really addicting.
The smooth graphics and awesome dungeons in DAOC really made it shine.

The only thing I'm not sold on in the game are some of the characters you play around with but hell they might add the original characters from DAOC.

Damn the video is Pre-alpha but it's more then I seen...

Not digging the characters but the characters were pretty weird in Dark Age of Camelot which just added to the game. I hope the spells and graphics they were showing off are not real that was on the of the best parts in Dark Age of Camelot the grind was real in that game.

Damn the video is Pre-alpha but it's more then I seen...

Not digging the characters but the characters were pretty weird in Dark Age of Camelot which just added to the game. I hope the spells and graphics they were showing off are not real that was on the of the best parts in Dark Age of Camelot the grind was real in that game.
The game is still 15+ months from release, and I would even bet on 20-21 months until release. None of pretty stuff is in the game.

It will be impressive when it releases and is as good as they claim it will be.

On a side note, some of the stretch goal "duck art" really put a smile on my face.

Yea, this is how CU sees it's roleplayers (RP stretch goal artwork):

rolePlay_duck2.jpg

Almost at the 4 Million Stretch Goal pretty impressive

there is a Steam today too just showing off Armor I think.

I just like this game cause it's Merica =)

You might know this, but lots of people don't know that the actual CU budget is already over $7.2M (Pledgemeter + Mark's $2.125M + $1M from another investor), and that number will rise dramatically once new investors kick in sometime in Beta (as hinted by MJ), likely with additional millions.

I hope this game doesn't suck I wasn't impressed with any footage so far I wish they kept it like Dark Age of Camelot. I mean the Druid in Dark Age of Camelot was sweet with Nature like spells thorns tree spirits and Leaves buffs that looked like trees. I'm still totally open about this game.... I'm not sure if they can keep the same Magic...that made Dark Age of Camelot stand out.

Last edited:
I figure mid year 2017 at earliest but I'm just guessing.

Yea, it certainly won't be 2016. Good news is - they just opened a second studio in Seattle and hired four additional programmers (!) due to some extra funding they got - http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/17/ca...io-in-seattle/

Beta should happen "this summer" - info from livestream yesterday, and here is a bit of brave new (procedurally generated) world:

Honestly I think they are putting too much effort into making the game 2013-2018 is a long wait it doesn't look like DAOC looks totally different I haven't played it but I would of made a replica of DAOC from all the bugs you see on Streams you wonder if this game is ever going to come around and be entertaining. I would of just had smooth 2002 environments with added textures added PVE. Then have all the spells effects the original game had Right now this game doesn't even look as good as Warhammer Online was which was Mythics last project that really had alot of hype but didn't do as well as DAOC I think it was just placement in the years 2001 having the copy at Retail Level at Walmart ect...

If the game turns out good I'll be really surprised.....

The whole thing with DAOC the game was really smooth to the point where everything just went together from the Broad Swords down to the Cloaks ambient music spells that poped out of nowhere and the Cloaks. The game was just smooth Start to Finish any which way you played the game. Camelot Unchained I think the Artists are given too much freedom to do whatever pops in their head and doesn't translate to the overall grand art design. Or just milking it to the very end and say Hey this is your game we got paid for it go knock yourself out.

Last edited:
So not related to this MMO, but if you are looking for a DAoC like, give ESO a try. The art style and questing is totally different, it is Elder Scrolls as you'd expect. However the PvP is very DAoC inspired. Three factions, siege combat, all very well executed. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Honestly I think they are putting too much effort into making the game 2013-2018 is a long wait it doesn't look like DAOC looks totally different I haven't played it but I would of made a replica of DAOC from all the bugs you see on Streams you wonder if this game is ever going to come around and be entertaining. I would of just had smooth 2002 environments with added textures added PVE. Then have all the spells effects the original game had Right now this game doesn't even look as good as Warhammer Online was which was Mythics last project that really had alot of hype but didn't do as well as DAOC I think it was just placement in the years 2001 having the copy at Retail Level at Walmart ect...

If the game turns out good I'll be really surprised.....

The whole thing with DAOC the game was really smooth to the point where everything just went together from the Broad Swords down to the Cloaks ambient music spells that poped out of nowhere and the Cloaks. The game was just smooth Start to Finish any which way you played the game. Camelot Unchained I think the Artists are given too much freedom to do whatever pops in their head and doesn't translate to the overall grand art design. Or just milking it to the very end and say Hey this is your game we got paid for it go knock yourself out.
This game was funded back when you could show basically nothing and still get funding. They were just in technical demo mode when they pitched it. Now days people have wised up and for the most part require the developer to actually have a working game. So it's taken 5 years because that's how long it actually takes to make a decent MMO. Had they been working on it and had a decent pre-alpha state in place before kickstarter it would have launched a year ago or more.

Back