Cambridge Soundworks Bass Cube died ... what to do now?

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
Hey everyone,

My Bass Cube 851 died the other day. I replaced the fuse but upon turning it on it killed the fuse. I tried different outlets and it still killed them. The fused I used was a 5A 125V like the manual suggested (http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/pdf/manuals/basscube_851.pdf ).

I tried contacting technical support but they never responded.

Do you guys have any suggestions as what I could do?

Thanks!

Did you unplug the thing when you switched the fuse? Is it plugged in correctly? Is the power cord in good shape?

If tech support dont help, its dead unless you get it repaired.
Can you go through the shop you bought it from for a warranty repair?

Dont try higher rated fuses, there is a risk of explosion and maybe fire when you power it up or later perhaps when you arent home (if it somehow does function).
If it does go bang, its less likely to be repairable.

Did you unplug the thing when you switched the fuse? Is it plugged in correctly? Is the power cord in good shape?

yeah i unplugged the power cord from it
and i let it rest over night before i tried the fuses and different sockets
the power cable seems to be in good shape

i just dont understand why it kills the fuse
should i get a higher grade fuse ... with more v and A ?

If tech support dont help, its dead unless you get it repaired.
Can you go through the shop you bought it from for a warranty repair?

Dont try higher rated fuses, there is a risk of explosion and maybe fire when you power it up or later perhaps when you arent home (if it somehow does function).
If it does go bang, its less likely to be repairable.

tech said i was out of warranty

i bought the original one from a friend, then it died and i paid 50 bucks in 2005 to get this one from cambridge

hmmmm so what could be killing the fuse? i mean what can i try to do myself to fix it ?

Study electronics and AC to DC power supplies, then determine if the power stage is the problem.
To test this you will likely have to isolate the PSU from the amplifier.
If it is faulty, replace the parts that have failed.
If its not faulty, study amplifiers :)

Take it apart and check all of the solder points. Something is shorting the hell out. My guess is a wire shook loose.

Take it apart and check all of the solder points. Something is shorting the hell out. My guess is a wire shook loose.

ok cool
i think i can handle that ... thanks on the suggestion

how can i fix it ?

i can probably provide some pictures tomorrow if i see something unsoldered right

Study electronics and AC to DC power supplies, then determine if the power stage is the problem.
To test this you will likely have to isolate the PSU from the amplifier.
If it is faulty, replace the parts that have failed.
If its not faulty, study amplifiers :)

that sounds like too much effort ... ill open it up and see whats up

well i opened it up and I cannot see anything wrong with it .... like there is nothing that is making me think something is loose or broken .... what should I be looking for exactly ?

I saw mention of upping teh fuse values. DO NOT, let me repeat DO NOT DO THIS. The fuses are rated to protect the wiring to keep your house from burning to the ground. Fuses do not protect equipment. If a fuse is going regularly, your equipment is already in need of repair.

Do you have a multimeter that you can check the voice coil resistance with? I would bet the output stage of the amplifier section died, possibly due to an open coil, or simply old age.

I saw mention of upping teh fuse values. DO NOT, let me repeat DO NOT DO THIS. The fuses are rated to protect the wiring to keep your house from burning to the ground. Fuses do not protect equipment. If a fuse is going regularly, your equipment is already in need of repair.

Do you have a multimeter that you can check the voice coil resistance with? I would bet the output stage of the amplifier section died, possibly due to an open coil, or simply old age.

For all its worth, I paid 50$ for this subwoofer so if its dead i dont want to spend more than its woth.

I need to find a subwoofer that has 5 speaker wires and 3 input connection and I should be set ... the satelites work well enough .... now where should I start looking?

I know it has been three years since I posted here regarding this issue. However, I found this thread after my third replacement subwoofer started failing. One thing is for sure, I'll never get a Cambridge Soundworks product again...

Hi guys... just signed up here to add my experience to the list... bought one in 2011... died in 2012... repaired under warranty.... just died again! Same exact symptoms!

Stay far far away from Cambridge SoundSux!!!

Don't risk your life for 50 bucks. Dump the thing and replace it with another one.

You risk fire or death by trying to fix it without professional knowledge.

For all its worth, I paid 50$ for this subwoofer so if its dead i dont want to spend more than its woth.

I need to find a subwoofer that has 5 speaker wires and 3 input connection and I should be set ... the satelites work well enough .... now where should I start looking?

2.1 kits are usually a matched set, particularly in the crossover frequencies. It's not that simple.

You may be better off just catching a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set at BB on sale for $99.

Unfortunately they are at regular price right now ($149).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...lack/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

I know it has been three years since I posted here regarding this issue. However, I found this thread after my third replacement subwoofer started failing. One thing is for sure, I'll never get a Cambridge Soundworks product again...

Caimbridge Soundworks was awesome when it was owned and run by Henry Kloss, it's founder. It was sold to Creative, and I think it's had two other owners since then. Now it's just cheap Chinese crap. Henry died in 2002 :( He was a brilliant man.

Yep, mine is from the Creative era. I'm pretty bummed about this, because this sucker was LOUD.

TechLarry: That Klipsch set looks pretty nice, but seems like it's a pretty old model judging by Amazon reviews dating back to 2002, wow. Any personal experience with these? I've got Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a 12" powered sub in the living room which are about that old too and still going strong, so no reason to doubt Klipsch.

Yep, mine is from the Creative era. I'm pretty bummed about this, because this sucker was LOUD.

TechLarry: That Klipsch set looks pretty nice, but seems like it's a pretty old model judging by Amazon reviews dating back to 2002, wow. Any personal experience with these? I've got Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a 12" powered sub in the living room which are about that old too and still going strong, so no reason to doubt Klipsch.

These have indeed been around for some 15 years, and there's a reason for it. They are very good.

They have been de-contented a bit over the years, but have been improved in other area's as well. You won't find better sound for $150 (or $99 if you're lucky).

These have indeed been around for some 15 years, and there's a reason for it. They are very good.

They have been de-contented a bit over the years, but have been improved in other area's as well. You won't find better sound for $150 (or $99 if you're lucky).

That may be, but the sound is only as good as the durability of the product. I just had my second one burn out. Piece of de-contented crap in my opinion. I'm going in search of a different brand to replace it.

That may be, but the sound is only as good as the durability of the product. I just had my second one burn out. Piece of de-contented crap in my opinion. I'm going in search of a different brand to replace it.

I have three sets still going strong that have been on 24/7 for years.

Back