Calling those who have AMD HD6000 series crossfire, please do something for me..

2wiced

2[H]4U
Please run bfbc2 in multiplayer and monitor your GPU usage and report back here. What % usage do you see?

My system

CPU: 2500k @ 4.8ghz
Motherboard: P67a-GD53 B3
Ram: 12gb ddr3 1333
Powersupply: Corsair 750w PSU
Hard Drive: Kingston 64gb SSD (for operating system and BFBC2)
Hard Drive: 2TB for storage
Videocard: Crossfire 6970

I get 30-50 usage per GPU. Which is low. I dont understand why.

Framerates captured with fraps

CROSSFIRE RESULTS

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg
53975 582742 55 201 92.622

Both were recorded on a 32 people Arica Harbor Conquest

SINGLE CARD RESULTS

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg
22301 194003 60 191 114.952

I have tried the following.
1. Reinstalling windows 7
2. using drivers 11.1-11.6 (im using 11.6 now)
3. Tried switching the cards around.
4. Tried using different crossfire bridges.
5. tried using 2 crossfire bridges at once.
6. Tried downlocking my CPU and overclocking it (3.3ghz-5.2ghz)
7. Tried running 1 card only, and got better framerates lol.
8. Tried other games and got good usage of GPU but on bfbc2 its not.
9. Running 8gb of 1600mhz instead of 12gb of 1333mhz

Afterburner Screenshot (From a 32 person OASIS game)

otqa1i.jpg

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

I have seen this issue only in the multiplayer maps in Bad Company. My feeling is that they did not implement coding to run 2 cards in multiplayer maps, and coding will be designed for the single player campaign.

If both single player and multiplayer player both have the same issue, then there may be some corrupt files with the Battlefield engine.

You may try this third party utility; however this may not over ride any coding within the game engine.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Last edited:
I have Triple HD 6950s unlocked to 6970s. Platform X58 with 930 @ 4.15GHz.
Driver 11.4 Preview, all CAPs from May up-to-date.

GPU useage 90-95%
FPS 65-90.
All visual effects enabled with 1XAA, I play in EyeFinity 5790 X 1200.

What drivers are you using? Which CAPs?:D

I'm getting GPU usage of ~90-96% in BFBC2 multiplayer on my Xfire unlocked 6950s with a 5.0GHz Core i7 2600k

Wow everyone gets better than me. I'm using 11.6 with latest caps on fresh install of windows 7 professional. I cannot figure out what it might be. I have tried all the 11.x drivers lol. Same issue.

2x 6970's BFBC2 95-98% All settings maxed out at 1920 X 1200
Spec's:
Core i7 2500k @ 4.8GHz
P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
8GB Of CORSAIR Vengeance 1600MHz
Enermax 950watt
Kingston 256gb V+ SSD (Runing BFBC2)
1TB Black
Crossfire XFX 6970's (11.6)

wow, another person who gets better frame rates and usage. Could my motherboard be bad?

what baffles me, is if I run say the AvP benchmark, then both of my cards are pegged at 100%. But BFBC2 runs 30-50% each. NEVER do they run 70-99% each.

wow, another person who gets better frame rates and usage. Could my motherboard be bad?

what baffles me, is if I run say the AvP benchmark, then both of my cards are pegged at 100%. But BFBC2 runs 30-50% each. NEVER do they run 70-99% each.

What resolution/settings are you playing at?

CPu 2600K @ 4800Mhz, 3 Powercolor PCS++ 6970's in TRI-FIRE 93% to 96% my temps range from 88,91,90 . Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 1920X1200, 16XAA . 16XANIS, Supersampling enabled, Max Graphics settings.

1680x1050 with 8xAA 16AF

I get better minimums with 1 card than 2. This is in multiplayer. Game settings all on high with bloom off. I shouldn't be seeing 30% when if I run a single card it's 90%+

Any ideas what I should tru running? I have clocked my CPU to 5.2ghz and there was no increase in gpu usage. Tried drivers. This is the only game this happens on.

Your running 2 6970's and your resolution is only 1680X1050?

Yes. I am planning to upgrade in the future. But at the moment yes im running 6970 x 2 and at 1680x1050.

The cards should still load more than 30-50% usage.

theres guys on here running 1920x1080 and getting 90%+ per card.

what is the best way I can contact the catalyst team? ati/amd? to report this issue see if others have it?

this is pretty much the only game I play lol.

At that low resolution and with the CPU clocked that high, is it possible the bottleneck is actually somewhere else? RAM maybe?

At that low resolution and with the CPU clocked that high, is it possible the bottleneck is actually somewhere else? RAM maybe?
I can try running just 8gb of DDR3 1600 ram and see how that works out.

the weird thing is, I ran AVP benchmark and both cards were 99% usage.

maybe with bfbc2 there is something that is causing a mess up?

I really appreciate everyone here who is willing to post and trying to help me out.

so far I have tried
1. Reinstalling windows 7
2. using drivers 11.1-11.6 (im using 11.6 now)
3. Tried switching the cards around.
4. Tried using different crossfire bridges.
5. tried using 2 crossfire bridges at once.
6. Tried downlocking my CPU and overclocking it (3.3ghz-5.2ghz)
7. Tried running 1 card only, and got better framerates lol.
8. Tried other games and got good usage of GPU but on bfbc2 its not.

That resolution, with the cards at 30% gains 92 FPS on average?

The obvious is the the resolution is not taxing the cards AT ALL. That's why they are so under utilized.:eek:

Disconnect one card and run the same deal and see what the utilization is, I bet it's 90%.

That resolution, with the cards at 30% gains 92 FPS on average?

The obvious is the the resolution is not taxing the cards AT ALL. That's why they are so under utilized.:eek:

Disconnect one card and run the same deal and see what the utilization is, I bet it's 90%.

Please refer to several posters who run 1920x1200 and get 99% on both cards.

A single card runs 90%+ and gets higher framerates across the board. That is why I am confused. There is negative scaling present and Im hoping by working together with forum members I can isolate the problem somehow.

I added an MSI afterburner monitor screenshot

Last edited:
Honestly I don't see a problem. I think it is your resolution. Hook your computer up to a 1080p source and see what kind of usage you get.

BTW, I am running Xfire 6950 getting over 90% on both my cards at 3240 x 1920.

1680x1050 to 1080p isn't that much of a jump, get to 1920x1200 or above and see what happens (preferrably above)

You could run with everything maxxed on a single 6970 w/ no trouble.

I Installed GPU-Z and Re Ran my TRI-FIRE 6970 setup in BC2 Multiplayer and im only getting 35% to 40% usuage outta each card at that 1920X1200 rez wit heverything Maxxed out. Very different results.

Whats your CPU usage?

I find with my 2 6970's the CPU usage is around 95-100% on a 2500k @ 4.8GHz in BFBC2 giving 95-98% usage on the 6970's

But when running 2x 580's in BFBC2 I max out the CPU at 100% and only use 45-55% of the 580's

I am testing some 560Tis, 570's both in sli and a singe 6990 tonight (Is it possible your running out of cpu in BFBC2 and can't utilize all the gpu's?)

Running all the above stated setups I avg. the same frames no matter the gpu usage. I added a third 580 and gpu usage went down to 30-35% but frames stayed the same. My fps are the same as the op has maintained or real close no matter the configuration.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't see a problem. I think it is your resolution. Hook your computer up to a 1080p source and see what kind of usage you get.

BTW, I am running Xfire 6950 getting over 90% on both my cards at 3240 x 1920.

There are several problems. But the biggest problem is I get worse performance in crossfire than in single card mode.

Whats your CPU usage?

I find with my 2 6970's the CPU usage is around 95-100% on a 2500k @ 4.8GHz in BFBC2 giving 95-98% usage on the 6970's

But when running 2x 580's in BFBC2 I max out the CPU at 100% and only use 45-55% of the 580's

I am testing some 560Tis, 570's both in sli and a singe 6990 tonight (Is it possible your running out of cpu in BFBC2 and can't utilize all the gpu's?)

Running all the above stated setups I avg. the same frames no matter the gpu usage. I added a third 580 and gpu usage went down to 30-35% but frames stayed the same. My fps are the same as the op has maintained or real close no matter the configuration.

See I find it super weird.

My CPU is anywhere from 80-90%+ percent. I tried overclocking to 5.2ghz and gained no extra frames. That why im at a loss. I dont see why 1 card works better than 2, unless im missing something.

I really appreciate everyone bouncing ideas off of each other, that one way we can get to the bottom of this.

If I have to, ill drive to frys and pick up a 2600k to overclock and test out. But I really dont think im running out of CPU for 2 6970.

My minimum frames in crossfire are lower, my average frames in crossfire are lower.

any other ideas you guys have? I can run anything you would like to see how it performs. Im really interested in figuring this out.

also, how can I contact AMD? maybe they are aware of this and are working on a fix?

Please refer to several posters who run 1920x1200 and get 99% on both cards.

A single card runs 90%+ and gets higher framerates across the board. That is why I am confused. There is negative scaling present and Im hoping by working together with forum members I can isolate the problem somehow.

I added an MSI afterburner monitor screenshot

you are missing the point here. you are running at a resolution so low that the cards are basically sitting idle and the drivers are probably changing the power levels on the card because of that(e.g. powergating the gpu due to low usage)

try this, set the AA to 8xMSAA(i believe thats whats required for AMD's CFAA to work) and turn on the 24xCFAA in the AMD drivers. hell you could probably turn 24xCFAA and 4xSSAA with the game completely maxed out and your cards will still be sitting at 70-75% load.

all else fail's get rid of the 11.6 cap and put the 11.5b cap back on and see what happens.

you are missing the point here. you are running at a resolution so low that the cards are basically sitting idle and the drivers are probably changing the power levels on the card because of that(e.g. powergating the gpu due to low usage)

try this, set the AA to 8xMSAA(i believe thats whats required for AMD's CFAA to work) and turn on the 24xCFAA in the AMD drivers. hell you could probably turn 24xCFAA and 4xSSAA with the game completely maxed out and your cards will still be sitting at 70-75% load.

all else fail's get rid of the 11.6 cap and put the 11.5b cap back on and see what happens.

Ill answer your post in sections.

1. I just tried what you were suggesting. Well heres what I did. I raised the in game AA to 8x, then I went into CCC and changed anti alaising to edge detect, then I also changed the antialaising mode to Super-Sample AA. I got no change in GPU usage still between 30-50%.
Then I tried to Force override over BFBC2, and still no change in GPU usage 30-50%. Then I went back and changed it to enhance the game, now my GPU sits at 50-60% load. But my frame rates have not changed.

2. I have tried 11.5b and have had the same issue with it :( its part of the reason I upgraded to 11.6

The cards are not powering down, as far as I can tell, the clocks do not drop they stay at their clocks.

I'd love to try more, seriously, Im really irritated with the performance. Every other game out there its 99% but bfbc2, nope.

Last edited:
Does your "problem" affect the gameplay? With all due respect......

Or are you just aggrevated by the % useage of the GPUs in this one game?:p

It looks like it's a quirk of BFBC2 if every other game runs at 90%. I do not see this problem when I use my system.

Got a reply from AMD that looked like this:

"AMD Engineering is aware of the issue and working on it, the fix will be either a driver/profile update from AMD or patch from the game manufacturer.

For now the work around is to disable CrossFire for this application.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care"
:eek::eek::D

Yea I did read it. I saw that. I posted that for others to see.

Yes it does affect game play. Going from 100 to 55 the back to 100 makes the game not smooth. I also emailed amd.

Afterburner-BC2OasisFull.jpg

11.6 on a fresh install of Win 7 64-bit, Steam version, Full Oasis server as requested. It's looking close to 100% utilization on each card when I'm playing. Desktop 1 in sig (2600k@stock), full Oasis server, 6048x1080 - all high, 4x AA, 8x Aniso, ~60fps min. The game ended when I ctd, as is the tradition with vanilla bc2 in eyefinity...

thanks sniper. I guess there's only a few people who get negative scaling. :(

Im going to wait a little bit longer, and then sell one of the cards if its not fixed. Then set aside money for a 7000 series. If its not fixed.

It only happen seems to happen at low resolutions, and it's only an issue that affects one game?

And is it really that much trouble to disable crossfire? A single 6970 should run the game fine.

Why don't you save up and buy a better monitor?

Back