Calling by phone to get you to download their viruses.

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
Just a friendly warning, a foreign call center is calling around, telling people that they are infected and asking details of any possible illegal activity (which I'm sure will be used later), trying to get you to go to a website and download software. They claim to be with Microsoft, but are very vague about who they are trying to contact and being able to uniquely identifying your computer (unless you go to their website and download their software).

[rant]
Oh for the love of god, they are calling now with the "we got a notification that your computer has a virus". I just got a call from some foreign call center that claimed that my PC was not communicating with their update service and if I had downloaded anything illegal, without identifying my computer, my IP, somekind of unique identifier to proof that it was my computer and than proceed to not even be able to identify me, the person that they called. I played a long a bit and asked, "let me guess, for me to see the problem I have to go to a website and download something?" to which I got a yes answer, that was the end of the conversation. I mean, are they even trying, I mean the iPhone Class-action phishing email is more believable and I've been able to talk people into worse on April Fools Day, but to attack without doing any kind of home work! I mean, this is like trying to do social engineering, without knowing how to social engineer (and going with the cheap call center that has a horrible accent). Worse part, I'm at home, still in my PJs, drinking coffee and trying to wake up, not in the best of moods to begin with.
[/rant]

I had that call but was not really prepared for it, wanted to setup a VM and screw around with them and waste their time. Told them my computer would not turn on and I was going to ask if they can call later, but they hung up on me. :( I hope they call back, I have a win98 VM ready for them to play in. Once all their stuff is installed and I've sniffed their IPs I'll call them out for it. :D

you think sniffing their IP's is going to do anything.. like they arent proxied to hell around the world...

I played along with my OpenSUSE laptop, and the guy's head about exploded when I couldn't bring up whatever Windows thing he wanted. It took a bit to explain to him it wasn't Windows. Then he said he couldn't help me, and hung up. :(

you think sniffing their IP's is going to do anything.. like they arent proxied to hell around the world...

Well whatever virus they put in has to call home somwhere. Though I suppose it could use some kind of p2p based network with other infected machines.

I recieved a call last night from a unknown number but they were speaking in spanish. Coincidence or?

calls home to an IP that is on a bot somewhere that then calls home to another bot and so on and so forth...

if not... they are idiots to say the least!

and even if ti calls home, it will go to a country you cant do anything in anyways

I'd laugh if some kid in bums-vill nowhere hired the cheapest call center around to get people to downlaod their virus to get their bot-net up and running (be even funnier if they used a stolen credit card).

Ongoing issue, has been for a few years.

Unless you have an isolated machine / VM, don't bother screwing with them.

On some machines they are doing a registry keychange that requires a login password
and requires a full wipe.

Unless you're qualified enough to handle those scenarios, don't think you'll outsmart them
for laughs.

My Grandmother recently got called with a similar scenario. She gave them access to her computer, they installed some 'anti virus', and then told her it would be $120. So she gave them her credit card number over the phone. Apparently they did only charge her $120, but its sketchy as hell.

that is smart, charge $120, now the user trusts them and thinks they are safe, they can then come back and do it again and again and then she tells her friends and so forth

it is the same as most virus, malware and spyware now, they don't want to harm your computer, they learned they can use your computer and it's resources for better things.

Ongoing issue, has been for a few years.

Unless you have an isolated machine / VM, don't bother screwing with them.

On some machines they are doing a registry keychange that requires a login password
and requires a full wipe.

Unless you're qualified enough to handle those scenarios, don't think you'll outsmart them
for laughs.

Yeah definitly want something isolated. Even if it's Linux, just in case. :D

Screwing with th em wont accomplish much, except for some entertainment if bored and potential youtube hits if recorded.

This is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMVmxjqsB_M

Back