Calling all the headphone audiophiles

I second the Beyerdynamics DT770 if you love bass. If you want something more balanced and musical get AT A900s. I absolutely love Audio Technicas. Personally own A900s and their W5000s w/AT-HA5000 amp.

I wouldn't describe the A900s as musical at all. I found the midrange to be lifeless and fairly boring (an above poster called it "distant"). I owned the A500s for a short period as well and would say that the midrange is fairly similar. They are definitely one of the more comfortable cans if you can stand the pleather pads.

You might also consider the AKG K240, but they are harder to drive than the DT770s and A900s.

It doesn't really work that way... especially when you start dipping into the more expensive headphones. You will find people who will say both the D2000 and the HFI780 are fantastic, and others who say they aren't worth your money. When you start hitting $300+ headphones, I think its safe to assume they are a "good" headphone. Whether or not they are good for you is something entirely different, and no head-fi member can tell you what you are going to like. You just have to find out. My suggestion to you is to buy used. Head-Fi's used gear market is huge, you should be able to find just about whatever you want, and if you don't like what you've bought, you should have no problem selling it for the same price you paid, and then you go try something else.

Another thing you have to remember when getting opinions on head-fi... a lot of them like to provide suggestions or impressions on headphones they have never heard. They will basically just take information they have heard in the past and formulate that into their own opinion. Be wary of that. Head-fi is famous for "I've never heard it, but....".

I don't like buying used because with headphones it is un-hygienic and used just doesn't have that new smell to it. I always buy used cars but one day I am going to buy a brand new one just so I can experience that new smell. :) I'm in Canada anyway and most people on headfi will only deal with people in the US, plus they want paypal which I do not have nor intend to get.

Yup, used gear on Head-Fi seems to hold extraordinary resale value for some reason. Darth Beyers tend to sell at almost the exact same price one bought them for. Even cheaper, standard headphones like the AD700 hold their value; they cost about $100ish new, and yet sell for $80-90 + shipping used on Head-Fi. New FOTMish headphones like the HFI-780's should hold good value as well.

Well, that's another thing about used headphones on headfi. Why would I be used with no warranty when I can buy new for not much more?

I've recently been contemplating buying a pair of Bose headphones. I heard they were really good, and I'm currently only using a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 Noise Canceling headphones I bought at a big box electronics store for around $60. I like them, but I think it's time for something better.

The Bose sound great (I have tried them out, but I don't own any yet) and aren't too over the top pricey. I really don't feel like shelling out much more than $150 for headphones with my budget. They may not be the best out there but I think they'll be a good match for my listening needs.

I'm throwing Bose out there because I think they're a good fit for someone who wants to have semi-audiophile phones without completely breaking the bank. I'd say test a pair out and see if the sound quality is good enough before jumping on to a $400+ pair and buying those. Not that I am trying to discredit the quality of a super high-end set of headphones, but a lot of people I think buy them without totally having enough use for them.

Eww... Bose.

Bose's headphones are good... but they're *massively* overpriced. There are much better alternatives to Bose in that price range.

If you like Bose's sound sig (which I assume is bass?) then try out the $100 RP-21s. If you really like bass, go for the DT770/80ohms for $150ish used/new, or the DT990 for $170ish. First two are able to go w/o amps; the DT990 really needs one to perform at its best.

If you're willing to stretch the budget to $200, that's a real sweet spot. DT880, HD580, HFI-780, A900, D2000, K701... the list goes on and on.

Eww... Bose.

Bose's headphones are good... but they're *massively* overpriced. There are much better alternatives to Bose in that price range.

If you like Bose's sound sig (which I assume is bass?) then try out the $100 RP-21s. If you really like bass, go for the DT770/80ohms for $150ish used/new, or the DT990 for $170ish. First two are able to go w/o amps; the DT990 really needs one to perform at its best.

If you're willing to stretch the budget to $200, that's a real sweet spot. DT880, HD580, HFI-780, A900, D2000, K701... the list goes on and on.

x2 bose = $$$ :(

Eww... Bose.

+1 again.

Have some Around ear Bose Triports myself. Got them at BB w/ some refund and employee discount. Ended up paying like 30 out of pocket. Worth 30$, not 150$ though. They're definitely a step up from anything you could buy in the average 30$ or less category, but definitely not worth the price. They have good isolation and the bass is alright. But they are not *true* audiophile sound.

BeyerDynamic DT770

/thread

QFT

I listen to alot of Trance and some House and the DT770's are insane when it comes to bass. Super comfy too.

If you're unable to find a local store to try em out www.headphone.com has a 30 day satisfaction garuntee (excluding their "B-stock" items (a.k.a used/blemished etc..)). You can keep trying different headphones until you find the ones you like (shipping costs aren't covered of course).

OK, if that logic doesn't work for you then the fact I don't want headphones that have someone else's smelly sweat and germs on them should.

So sex is out of the ? for you. Too bad. It is fun despite the shared fluids. :)

Any comments on the Audio Technica ATH-A900 or the ATH-M20.
Thanks
Here's a thread that i made a *long* time ago about my new A900s. (It's not very well written, but it might be worth a look-see.) Best 200 bucks i've ever spent; i love 'em to death. Just my $0.02.

Luck,
_nick

So sex is out of the ? for you. Too bad. It is fun despite the shared fluids. :)

Well, if they are Jessica Alba's or Natalie Portman's headphones I will take them. More than likely though the previous owner was some fat geek that hasn't bathed for weeks. :)

Sorry guys. I am still trying to make up my mind its now between, Audio-Technica ATH-A900 and Dt770.
Remember I love basss.
Thank you

I've had my 780's for a day now, and they dominate. I ended up returning the A700's which I didn't like.

But seriously, buy some headphones already.....

Remember I love basss. = DT770

...assuming you like having miniature subwoofers strapped to your head.

I have decided I will choose the DT770, now my only problem. Where in Canada can I find these. I would prefer within Canada.
Thank you

I have decided I will choose the DT770, now my only problem. Where in Canada can I find these. I would prefer within Canada.
Thank you

Ya know... you probably shoulda told us that 9 months ago...

Back