Calling all the headphone audiophiles

elec999

Limp Gawd
Can someone recommend me some good closed headphones, for someone who listens to hardcore music, techno, electro, etc I need good bass. I had in ear headphones, but I can feel cause damage to my ear drums. I need something that will sound good, even after long listening. I looked at some, but had to tell without listening to them. I would like to spend around $200-300. Now I also got the Auzentech Prelude, It will be nice to have some headphones that I can take also take with me to listen on my Iphone lol.
Thanks

Ultrasone HFI-780's have been receiving very good impressions lately, and meet all your requirements. Closed, good mids and highs, and have bass slam.

From RMCaudio.com, they're only $200.

I personally have already ordered a recabled version of these for $470 :) Now to just play the waiting game...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so...one-hfi-780-a-289917/index59.html#post3873555

The great thing about them is that they're also somewhat portable; you can fold them up, and they come with a bag.

Those earbuds hurt my ear (Comfortable they're not) so i didn't have a second thought when i passed by one of these. I store them in those metal cylinder cans that sunglasses come in.

sharper-image_noise-cancellation-headphones.jpg

That's the closest pic i can find, except the speakers on mine are smaller (Thinner=folds smaller). Downside is that they're pretty fragile. Been checking out the local malls for metal versions. May not be orchestra quality, but they're very compact.

Ultrasone HFI-780's are the fov atm. Good ppl like them so they are probably great.

However, those and/or some RP-22's $100ish would provide plenty of boom and comfort.

I have seen many a headphone hyped to the moon and back at head-fi. It'll probably be a couple months before more realistic impressions set in.

The A900 has good highs and lows, but a distant midrange. Poor isolation, but good comfort. I'm not that familiar with the M20, but I think it sorta shares about the same sound signature.

BeyerDynamic DT770

/thread

BeyerDynamic DT770

/thread

:D

Almost bought those myself, but I was a bit short on cash and was offered a deal on the Equation RP-21's I couldn't pass up. If you're serious about the dt770's, you can test them out at a local guitar center, not as great ampless, but are great nonetheless. I tried them ou tmyself and I really enjoyed the bass and isolation was pretty great. The sound quality was amazing as well, but I found my zen vision:m had a bit of trouble powering them. Needed to almost turn the volume all the way up (about 20/25 on the meter) for good volume level. Btw, do you have an amp? That could significantly alter your decision.

I was in almost the same situation as you but I had 100~$ to spend and I couldn't have been happier with my choice on the RP-21's (see sig). Also, the DT770's pop up on the Head-fi forums quite often (custom modded and not) and can he had on ebay for around 110-150ish.

Ultrasone HFI-780's have been receiving very good impressions lately, and meet all your requirements. Closed, good mids and highs, and have bass slam.

From RMCaudio.com, they're only $200.

I personally have already ordered a recabled version of these for $470 :) Now to just play the waiting game...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so...one-hfi-780-a-289917/index59.html#post3873555

The great thing about them is that they're also somewhat portable; you can fold them up, and they come with a bag.

Why so much extra to re-cable them? How much difference can a cable make? I'm betting not much at all. Are these headphones circumaural and anyone know where to buy in Canada for a fair price?

What you guys think of the Sennheiser HD580 and HD555, and for the BeyerDynamic DT770 I see there is a 80ohm version and the regular ones.
Thanks

A900s are great for that price - they just look slightly "odd" when you wear them.

lol

He asked for audiophile style sound. This is not the 770. Fun, boomy yes. but

Get the Ultrasone 780 or the RP-21 or 22.

The recabling makes the 780 very close to the Edition 9, Ultrasone's $1500 flagship can.

lol

He asked for audiophile style sound. This is not the 770. Fun, boomy yes. but

Get the Ultrasone 780 or the RP-21 or 22.

The recabling makes the 780 very close to the Edition 9, Ultrasone's $1500 flagship can.

well they definately wont be the most detailed and definately not sonically balanced... but the type of music and what he wants the 770's are probably his best bet

I know you guys will laugh when I bring this up. Anyone heard of Skullcandy SCS-SCB.
Thanks

I know you guys will laugh when I bring this up. Anyone heard of Skullcandy SCS-SCB.
Thanks

Yes, I've seen them discussed before. Supposedly bass heavy, but fidelity only a step above ibuds.
Might as well do the dt770's. Great low-impedance cans - great build and comfort, tons of bass, and it's money's worth in sound quality.

I am looking at the dt770 I think I can only afford the 80ohms model.
Thanks

I -love- Audio Technica phones. I got the ATH-A700s at work and they are great. Most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, period. Good sound and enough bass to crack your skull. I haven't heard the A900s, but I imagine it'd even better.

I decided to buy the ATH-AD900s (the open back version) for home use. Haven't gotten those in yet, but we'll see how they go.

Just to throw up another suggestion, the Denon D2000 may be good for what you want.

Just to throw up another suggestion, the Denon D2000 may be good for what you want.

good suggestion that. I would buy that or a Ultrasone 780 before the 770 but I believe the op can only afford about $100.

Really man, the RP-21s are a better headphone than the 770 in everything except for sound stage size.

ATH-A700s seems really well priced, and the BeyerDynamic DT770. So its a choice between the two.
Thanks

ATH-A700s seems really well priced, and the BeyerDynamic DT770. So its a choice between the two.
Thanks

I was thinking along the same lines as you before, but what exactly are you looking for? Like what type of music, what about isolation and is there going to be any sort of amplication?

Of those two, I would say the DT770's are a better choice, but why are you counting out such cans as the RP-21's or the Denon D1000/2000's?
Check out this review. By a reputable source and highly informative:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/review-5-sub-150-sealed-headphone-compared-250041/

DO NOT GO TO HEAD-FI. EVER.

I looked at that website once. Within a week I ended up buying a $500 pair of headphones and a $200 amp. My wallet's still traumatized.

I'm a headfi member but have basically been able to keep my wallet instact so far. I've been reading good things about Denon D2000 and Ultrasone HFI780 there so am thinking of upgrading my HD595's to one of those two. Thing is, if I upgrade and don't find the new headphones a significant upgrade I will never trust headfiers again.

I'm a headfi member but have basically been able to keep my wallet instact so far. I've been reading good things about Denon D2000 and Ultrasone HFI780 there so am thinking of upgrading my HD595's to one of those two. Thing is, if I upgrade and don't find the new headphones a significant upgrade I will never trust headfiers again.

It doesn't really work that way... especially when you start dipping into the more expensive headphones. You will find people who will say both the D2000 and the HFI780 are fantastic, and others who say they aren't worth your money. When you start hitting $300+ headphones, I think its safe to assume they are a "good" headphone. Whether or not they are good for you is something entirely different, and no head-fi member can tell you what you are going to like. You just have to find out. My suggestion to you is to buy used. Head-Fi's used gear market is huge, you should be able to find just about whatever you want, and if you don't like what you've bought, you should have no problem selling it for the same price you paid, and then you go try something else.

Another thing you have to remember when getting opinions on head-fi... a lot of them like to provide suggestions or impressions on headphones they have never heard. They will basically just take information they have heard in the past and formulate that into their own opinion. Be wary of that. Head-fi is famous for "I've never heard it, but....".

It doesn't really work that way... especially when you start dipping into the more expensive headphones. You will find people who will say both the D2000 and the HFI780 are fantastic, and others who say they aren't worth your money. When you start hitting $300+ headphones, I think its safe to assume they are a "good" headphone. Whether or not they are good for you is something entirely different, and no head-fi member can tell you what you are going to like. You just have to find out. My suggestion to you is to buy used. Head-Fi's used gear market is huge, you should be able to find just about whatever you want, and if you don't like what you've bought, you should have no problem selling it for the same price you paid, and then you go try something else.

Another thing you have to remember when getting opinions on head-fi... a lot of them like to provide suggestions or impressions on headphones they have never heard. They will basically just take information they have heard in the past and formulate that into their own opinion. Be wary of that. Head-fi is famous for "I've never heard it, but....".

good advice and true.

I love Stax for instance. Some find them thin but to me they are realistic.

Yup, used gear on Head-Fi seems to hold extraordinary resale value for some reason. Darth Beyers tend to sell at almost the exact same price one bought them for. Even cheaper, standard headphones like the AD700 hold their value; they cost about $100ish new, and yet sell for $80-90 + shipping used on Head-Fi. New FOTMish headphones like the HFI-780's should hold good value as well.

I have the 650s for nearly 3 years now. They are most likely the best headphones I've ever used in my life. i want new ones though

I second the Beyerdynamics DT770 if you love bass. If you want something more balanced and musical get AT A900s. I absolutely love Audio Technicas. Personally own A900s and their W5000s w/AT-HA5000 amp.

Back