Calling all RS-232 wireless gurus

viper92086

Gawd
Ok so i've been looking for a solution for my rs-232 based instruments but i've come up with no results other than what is in place currently. If you take a look at the rough drawing below you can see what i am trying to accomplish. The current setup has each rs232 device connected to it's own cellular modem. My goal is to use a single cellular modem for multiple devices. I want to know if anyone knows of a device that can be used similar to wifi but can operate at a much longer distance. preferbly something that can run on the 900mhz band. I want the distance to be about 1 mile.

I want to be able to access these devices with a single ip adress, but be able to differentiate between each device by a port number.

I can easily do this if the devices were ethernet and i can use reg wifi, but i know nothing about whats out there for rs232 and was hoping maybe somone had some experience in this sort of field.

thanks.

serialdevicedrawing.jpg

I use digi serial>ethernet converters, they work awesome... they can also be used "back to back" aka if one can see the other you can use them to go serial > ethernet > serial... or you can just attach them to a pc as a virtual serial port

yea, i currently have the digi xtend-pkg radios for other projects, but for this one it's not going to work. I wish i could use the serial to wifi like your using but the downside to wifi is it's range.

Unless are you talking about going from serial to ethernet, then some other form of wireless ethernet then back from serial to ethernet again?

Back