Call of Juarez demo

I just finished the demo and all I can say is I LOVE IT. Can't wait for it the full version to be released.

As for getting it to run smooth, no luck. Tried it both on my SLi and Crosffire setups. Maybe I am doing something wrong.:(

Hell, if you guys with SLI rigs are having trouble running it I guess I'll sit this one out ;(

I'll have to agree with the OP about the frame rates being in the shitter (with AFR SLI). I get an avg 25 fps on the "Ray" mission from the beginning of the level to the end of the first shootout. 1600 x 1200 at the default high quality settings in-game.

Funny thing is, if I disable SLI, I get a boost of 4 fps at the same resolution. I think we will have to wait for nvidia to release drivers before SLI will work properly. Until then, drop the resolution down and play off one card. I did not try SFR or AFR2 though, and playing around with the settings (especially the shadows) could probably improve performance. If anyone has suggestions, please post them!

Seems like a cool game though. I like the new spin on bullet time.

Where did this game come from?? lol
I just saw it up on Fileplanet earlier and decided to give it a download and...

Wow.
I just played through the demo and I am thoroughly impressed. The graphics are amazing and the framerate is pretty much above 30FPS throughout (which makes it playable). Woot!

The18thLetter said:
Where did this game come from?? lol
I just saw it up on Fileplanet earlier and decided to give it a download and...

Wow.
I just played through the demo and I am thoroughly impressed. The graphics are amazing and the framerate is pretty much above 30FPS throughout (which makes it playable). Woot!

good to hear since we have similar setups, now for me to get this thing downloaded!

I don't feel any slowdown w/ my rig 1600x1200 high quality.

Opty 140 @ 2.2
2gigs sys mem at 1T
1900XT
74 gb Raptor.
Xfi

Could someone tell those of us that are on a Proxy Server with Websense blocking every damn thing I try to go to, what kind of game is this? FPS, RTS?
:)

Thanks.

Puterguru said:
Could someone tell those of us that are on a Proxy Server with Websense blocking every damn thing I try to go to, what kind of game is this? FPS, RTS?
:)

Thanks.

FPS

It does play a lil choppy on my system @ 1280x1024 high settings, so if anyone has a system like mine.

All Killer No Filler said:
Please post some numbers (max, min, avg).

OK, I did some frapsing at the very beginning of the Billy level (one of the slowest parts), and it was something like this:

at 1024x768 - min 15, avg 25, max 40
at 1600x1200 - min 11, avg 15, max 25

This is with SLI 7800gtx, SM 3.0, everything enabled & highest settings, except medium shadows.

With lowering the resolution like that providing an almost unnoticeable improvement, I would think that isn't the game slowing down the cards. It's most likely what someone up there said about Nvidia not releasing drivers for this game and SLI yet. At 1024x768, an average framerate of anything less than 60 with that sort of setup indicates that something is wrong. Try disabling SLI and see what happens. Someone up there said they got a boost. Seems to me like the game is having trouble using SLI and is only utilizing one card, but having SLI enabled causes a problems somewhere, making it even slower... Guess we'll see when more people get more configurations and numbers up...

SLI is definitely working here - the frame rate almost doubles, as you would expect with such a shader heavy game, and when you enable the load balancing indicator it's solid green.

I noticed there is already an Nvidia profile for this, I just had to rename CoJDemo.exe to CoJ.exe. I think it helped my frame rates a bit. At 1024x768 it was hovering around 30-40 quite a lot, and even went up to 50-60 at times. Still feels very jittery to play though, like it renders 3 or 4 frames quickly then pauses for a couple.

I thought it was OK. The game's performance versus visuals is a bit ridiculous though. Horrible mouse/frame lag made getting accurate shots very challenging. Haven't Frapsed it yet, but will try it again tonite.

Played it at 12 x 16, all settings high w/ medium shadows. I also built a new profile and forced AFR.

Wow, I would have never even looked back again at this game if someone didn't post it here, this looks really good.

meatfestival said:
OK, I did some frapsing at the very beginning of the Billy level (one of the slowest parts), and it was something like this:

at 1024x768 - min 15, avg 25, max 40
at 1600x1200 - min 11, avg 15, max 25

This is with SLI 7800gtx, SM 3.0, everything enabled & highest settings, except medium shadows.
That just doesn't seem right, especially with SLI.

i just ran threw one level on the demo and was really impressed. i didnt have any performance issues (10x12 all maxxed) so maybe its an SLI issue? ill run fraps if requested. i really enjoyed the feel of the game as the gameplay was totally fresh and unique. i though visually it looked alsmot oblivion like (characters being the exception) but i nly played obliv for 1/2 and hour or so. check this one out guys

It's a good game so far. I just played it at 1024X768 because I have an X1600 so I don't know of any slowdown. But you'd think since it's an Nvidia "the way it's meant to be played" game it would run on SLI.

I get an average of 10fps in the Billy mission, but then again I was running 1920x1200 max detail. Guess I'll have to wait till they get Quad SLi working...

tayunz said:
But you'd think since it's an Nvidia "the way it's meant to be played" game it would run on SLI.

Not if they haven't released a driver that has an SLI profile for the game. Besides, "the way its meant to be played" bullshit holds no water. Hell, Sin Episodes shows that logo on startup and it is a source engine game. Wasn't Valve in bed with ATI?

All Killer No Filler said:
Not if they haven't released a driver that has an SLI profile for the game. Besides, "the way its meant to be played" bullshit holds no water. Hell, Sin Episodes shows that logo on startup and it is a source engine game. Wasn't Valve in bed with ATI?

Sure it holds water. SiN wasnt made by Valve, it just used their engine.

edit, you can get AA working in the game, by going to PS 2.0, down from 3.0 which was default for me. Perhaps its HDR in 3.0, so AA wont work. CF is working after renaming the .exe for me. Frames jumped up from 21 to 38 in the exact same spot. At 1920x1200, everything in the game set to max, HQ AF, and max quality in the drivers.

Really like the zoom, blurry, to clear, pretty neat.

Good atmosphere, I like the way baddies react to hits, tasty graphics. However, I do not like the controls and the large grid for the mouse that makes stairsteps out of aiming, but I guess that is par for most games past Quake 3 (Unreal Warfare and Lithtech are particularly bad engines with the mouse). Performance is pretty bad and very poor loading times though I think loading times would improve with more RAM (I'm still on 1Gig). This is one of the few games I will not be buying based on the experience of the demo.

Here is some FRAPS data, I am OCing the card minimally through the control panel.

2006-07-29 12:42:03 - CoJDemo
Frames: 3737 - Time: 119660ms - Avg: 31.230 - Min: 22 - Max: 38

2006-07-29 12:33:04 - CoJDemo
Frames: 3505 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 29.208 - Min: 21 - Max: 43

Check specs in sig.

1280x1024 with every setting set to highest and SM 3.0 on.

What a great breath of fresh air this game is, I havent played all the way through the demo yet but I have played it several times, I cant remember what character I was playing as alls I know is I had 2 revolvers.
I am not having the best luck with the bullet time the game offers I guess it is going to take some practice but other than that I think that this game is great I will be definatly getting this as soon as it is released...

The game ran fine on my machine, I didnt run FRAPs on it but it seemed very smooth and the graphics are very nice. I did noticed that some of the shadows seemed a bit blocky but I am not all that concerned with that, I am sure that the retail version will take care of that or at least I hope so anyway, but either way, it seems like an enjoyable game and like I said a breath of fresh air... finally, something different by means of genre of FPS games.

Almost slep on this on..Runs fine for me 1680x105o on my sgi rig.I saw it on tweakguides and it said its optimized for DC but ran fine for me..Looking to go DC and SLI soon but for now Im set..Gonna pick this one up..Just when I get too cozy with my 360..The PC slaps one down and shows why its still da kang around here!! :p :p

cojdemo2006080501191203ho6.jpg

cojdemo2006080501185882ck9.jpg

cojdemo2006080501190595ax6.jpg

cojdemo2006080501171010ex4.jpg

cojdemo2006080501253704wm8.jpg

cojdemo2006080501263893dx7.jpg

I only played the demo...and wow...its frikkin amazing...but i don't know which one is more amazing, graphics or the gameplay... :eek:

And that low FPS on this system...

untitledfk3.jpg

FULL BLOWN setting on highest @ 1920x1200
It lags the first 30 sec...but then it becomes smooth...and plays very normal...no matter the low fps

Puterguru said:
That just doesn't seem right, especially with SLI.
I know what you mean, it doesn't at all. It's all about the drivers. I'm not upgrading until Windows Vista releases. Almost bought a $5000 rig setup the other day... omg... I want to... no, i'll wait... (Thinks of Crysis gameplay footage... drool. Lol.

Anyway, as far as COJ goes, I was playing on about maybe Medium setting on shadows, and shrubbery, and everything else on high, but on 1024x768, and I was even able to give it 2xaa. and I still have a moderately good system

1gig pc3200 ram
6800GT
Athlon 64 3200+

Bop said:
I get an average of 10fps in the Billy mission, but then again I was running 1920x1200 max detail. Guess I'll have to wait till they get Quad SLi working...
Oh man, do you have a Quad Sli setup? That would be so sick, you could probably play any game that comes out for the next 5 years on high settings, if not on max.

GJohn said:
FULL BLOWN setting on highest @ 1920x1200
It lags the first 30 sec...but then it becomes smooth...and plays very normal...no matter the low fps

Actually, its not "full blown". That would be with HDR+AA, which your card cannot do. ;)

Smooth at 9fps? Ok...

The people who are saying that it's smooth are either lying or can't tell the difference between 40 and 10fps. I was playing at 1680x1050 on balanced but with sm3.0 and it's just ridiculously slow.

zamardii said:
Oh man, do you have a Quad Sli setup? That would be so sick, you could probably play any game that comes out for the next 5 years on high settings, if not on max.

It will be worthless in 1 year...i gurantee...

Could you please thumbnail those screenshots? It's making it very hard to read this thread.

Well I can play the game fine, although on the billy mission my framerate is pretty low, I think it goes down to about 15FPS at certain points, and I only play at 1280x960.

BUMP

1280x1024 HDR on, AF on, all settings (in-game) max. The info below from FRAPS is during portions of the Billy mission after you get the horse and when you fight the first group of indians. I died.

2006-08-20 16:49:52 - CoJDemo
Frames: 2307 - Time: 99214ms - Avg: 23.252 - Min: 12 - Max: 33

The one below is with Shadows Medium, 1024, and foliage medium.

2006-08-20 16:53:01 - CoJDemo
Frames: 2732 - Time: 100243ms - Avg: 27.253 - Min: 14 - Max: 44

EDIT
2006-08-20 17:19:23 - CoJDemo
Frames: 2623 - Time: 75850ms - Avg: 34.581 - Min: 22 - Max: 49

With shadows turned to low, HDR on, 1280x1024, AF on, all other set to high, shadow map 1024

Back