Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 PC: $49.82 with $10 egift card @ Walmart

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
I started this thread before IW announced that they won't be supporting dedicated servers. They are now using a match making system similar to what the ps3 and xbox use in order to connect you to servers. Those servers are going to be hosted by players most likely on a cruddy dsl / cable connection, as opposed to what pc gamers are used to with cod4, which is on dedicated servers. Also IW will probably be charging you to download content, like maps, weapons, etc. So that $60 game without dedicated server support can cost you 2 to 3 times as much in the long run. They are basically taking every advantage away that a pc gamer has. Who knows, the graphics might be just as bad as well. If you don't agree with this, you can submit your [h] member boycott here:

So far there are 205 members here that have boycotted Modern Warfare 2. I'd suggest that if you preordered from walmart, that you cancel if you can.

Here is the Article that sums up what's going on

-------------------------------------------originial post--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

Ok, Ok, I'll tell you why this is hot. It's $10 cheaper than all the other big sites like Amazon that sells it for $59. You get a $10 e-gift card you can use for another purchase at Walmart.com. So give the egift card to someone who also wants to buy the game...then he gets another $10...so $39 for him! Then he gives the $10 gift card to another buddy...and then just keep the chain rolling. :cool:

To me this game is worth $49 easily due to the multiplayer and it maintains a good resale value once you get tired of it. You'll probably be able to turn around and sell it for $30 later.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like you can even sign up for a pre-buy yet. It's just telling you what the price will be when it comes out.

You can preorder it now at that price actually.

Since when is 49 bucks a good price for a PC game? Typically you can get them on release day or release week for as low as 29.99. In fact that is how much I paid for the original MW

Yhea Circuit City usually had those deals. Personally I hated their stores, but miss those deals on new games.

Since when is 49 bucks a good price for a PC game? Typically you can get them on release day or release week for as low as 29.99. In fact that is how much I paid for the original MW

Its a good price because the MSRP for the PC version is $59.99.

I haven't seen a major PC game release for 29.99 in years. 49.99 seems to have been the price here in colorado since I moved here two years ago and the same in california for a couple years before that.

I don't know, maybe you got oregon trail for 29.99 when it released hehe ;) but 49.99 for MW2 is a pretty good buy.

personally I'm waiting for the steam version. no cds to worry about, plus I'm really really sick of their crappy server browsers and having to dictate ip addresses over vent to my friends.

As much as I would rather play this game on my PC and mouse/keyboard, I have to buy it for xbox 360 because all the people I want to play with will be on their consoles.. :(

the way everything has been going for the last few years now... starcraft 2 / diablo3 where are you.... my last hope all future FPS releases seem doomed to be stuck on consoles.

If they'd just make a mouse/keyboard controller for FPS on console we'd be set ;).

I haven't seen a major PC game release for 29.99 in years. 49.99 seems to have been the price here in colorado since I moved here two years ago and the same in california for a couple years before that.

I don't know, maybe you got oregon trail for 29.99 when it released hehe ;) but 49.99 for MW2 is a pretty good buy.

Ahhh no just like the poster said above Circuit City and that is exactly where I got it. Not sure what constitutes for a "major release" but I have never paid 49.99 for any PC game ever and I typically always get them on release day or release week.

If they'd just make a mouse/keyboard controller for FPS on console we'd be set ;).

On PS3 you can play some of the FPS w/mouse keyboard, but they will never officially support it on xbox because they want everyone to be on the same even playing field. It does make sense.... I just wish that even playing field was mouse/kb instead of gamepad. I just cannot aim on the gamepad like I can on the mouse/kb... some people can though. I believe it has to do w/strafing to aim in addition to regular aiming... I just cant seem to get it down.

Last edited:
but I have never paid 49.99 for any PC game ever and I typically always get them on release day or release week.

Yes, but this was before Activision instituted the "next-gen" tax on their PC games. They figured Modern Warfare 2 was popular enough that PC gamers would pay the new price of $59.95. I'd like to see PC gamers vote with their wallets, as one of the perks of PC gaming has been the game's prices, but I don't have much faith.

PC game prices usually fall pretty quickly...so wait a week or 2 and I'm sure the game will be $39.99 or less

Yeah, I agree with the others. Give it a week or 2 after release and we'll see some crazy sale prices like $39.99 which is what I paid for both MW and WaW each.

I've played a few of the COD games and cant say i really like it much. It just seems like the player is being spoon fed throughout the whole game... But it is a nice and chill game if you're not in the serious killing mode.

Well 10 million copies of cod4 was sold...that puts it in a very select group.

I've played a few of the COD games and cant say i really like it much. It just seems like the player is being spoon fed throughout the whole game

Yeah, I can't stand the singleplayer campaigns. They're extremely linear shooting galleries with infinitely respawning enemies who have some of the worst AI I've ever seen in a game.

I tried playing COD4's campaign and I uninstalled it after I watched 5 enemies in a row all take up the exact same spot after they'd watch me headshot their buddies there right before. I didn't even have to move my reticle, they'd jumped right into the same window practically before their compatriot's body had hit the ground. Just awful.

Yeah, I can't stand the singleplayer campaigns. They're extremely linear shooting galleries with infinitely respawning enemies who have some of the worst AI I've ever seen in a game.

I tried playing COD4's campaign and I uninstalled it after I watched 5 enemies in a row all take up the exact same spot after they'd watch me headshot their buddies there right before. I didn't even have to move my reticle, they'd jumped right into the same window practically before their compatriot's body had hit the ground. Just awful.

Same -- I've spent countless hours on COD 4 and 5 on xbox 360 and I never finished one level of either single player campaign.

Same -- I've spent countless hours on COD 4 and 5 on xbox 360 and I never finished one level of either single player campaign.

Personally I love their single player. cod1 and 4 were by far the best.

frys usually has a deal on pc games upon release but if the game retails at 59.99 expect it to be 49.99 at frys im sure. ill wait until it gets lower ....im in no rush anyways i havent even played cod4 yet.

Whoop, my mistake, they sold over 13 million copies now, not ten million. Multiply that times $50...man that's a huge profit.:eek:

CoD4 finally dropped from it's $49.99 launch price to $39.99 in the past two months.

well it's not gonna drop under $10 :p

I meant that prices usually drop pretty quickly from their launch price...and depending on the game can drop pretty steep...I picked up GRID 2 months back for $20...a big drop from its $50 launch price

I read somewhere that they re did the AI so they would always respawn from different places and not always doing the same thing. So if you replayed it over and over they wouldnt ever respawn in the same spot. Dont quote me on it, but im fairly sure, look it up on wiki if you want to be sure.

since it was brought up in this thread.. some console games do allow mouse+keyboard support but they *always* retard the controls on the mouse and keyboard in every single case. Generally the hit boxes and/or targeting recticles are larger on console games too. They also slow the look speed, especially the turning speed.

One of the few games that allowed both pc and console players to play on the same servers was the game shadowrun - and the keyboard and mouse controls on the multiplayer servers were retarded (as in functionally diminished), and additionally both console and pc users were given some degree of auto-aiming. From a popular review site: "We play a lot of online PC shooters, and the biggest issue we found with the PC Shadowrun controls is that they feel fairly sloppy and imprecise compared to other PC shooters. This is due to the larger crosshair size and wide bullet spread. Obviously this is a way to counteract the inaccuracy of the 360 control pad relative to a mouse and keyboard. "

About the PS3 version of UT3's keyboard and mouse controls: "anyone used to the precision mouse and keyboard controls on the PC will notice a slight amount of mouse lag when turning and looking in the PS3 version. It's nothing that ruins the experience, but it can be aggravating when trying to make quick, precise aiming movements.". (Otherwise known as the sluggish/swimming turn speed of a console gamepad control coding not keeping up with the mouse movement).

"Console shooters come up with different ways of aiding the player - snapping or locking onto targets, controlling the speed of the crosshairs near enemies, or bending bullets towards enemies near the crosshairs - but they are all just ways of the game doing the aiming rather than the player."

"Dumbed down" control FPS console games make $ from the masses so its doubtful that the dev's will ever allow true mouse+keyboard functionality or the console kiddies would have shrieking tantrums. :rolleyes:

With today's consoles being essentially portal computers with gamepads, it wouldn't be hard to allow both gamepad and full mouse, keyboard functionality in consoles games. It also wouldn't be that hard to have cross-platform multiplayer done properly. They just choose not to code it that way, even as an option.

I love the ps3, but there is no way I would buy the ps3 version over the pc version. After looking at cod4 on the ps3 and xbox 360...it's just quite sad how fugly it looks on the console in comparison to the pc at least.

I love the ps3, but there is no way I would buy the ps3 version over the pc version. After looking at cod4 on the ps3 and xbox 360...it's just quite sad how fugly it looks on the console in comparison to the pc at least.

That's works out well if all of your friends are on PCs... but of the people I know that will be playing it, about 80% will be on the xbox360 and 20% on the PS3. Not a single one will be buying it for PC even if they own one.

At the end of the day, I play games because it's a fun way to keep up with my friends (who have moved all over the US/world in the years since college). The xbox360 makes it all too easy for them... not everyone is as technologically inclined as we are :(

I* love the people who are waiting for a price drop. MW1 NEVER dropped in price and that is why I still do not have it. I got WAW free with a video card from newegg but after it had been out a year, I refused to pay full price for it and since it has never dropped, I never got it.

I have moral issues with buying from Walmart but other then that, it is a good deal.

I* love the people who are waiting for a price drop. MW1 NEVER dropped in price and that is why I still do not have it. I got WAW free with a video card from newegg but after it had been out a year, I refused to pay full price for it and since it has never dropped, I never got it.

I have moral issues with buying from Walmart but other then that, it is a good deal.
Huh? It was $49 and then WaW came out and it dropped to $39

That's works out well if all of your friends are on PCs... but of the people I know that will be playing it, about 80% will be on the xbox360 and 20% on the PS3. Not a single one will be buying it for PC even if they own one.

At the end of the day, I play games because it's a fun way to keep up with my friends (who have moved all over the US/world in the years since college). The xbox360 makes it all too easy for them... not everyone is as technologically inclined as we are :(

I hate the console version though because it just becomes a frag fest online. At least on the pc you have custom servers that try to implement realism and do aways with all the other junk. Hopefully MW2 will provide a game mode with more realistic play. I know realism in video games is subjective..but there are servers where little changes make the game that much better.

There are certain games (like this one ;) ) that deserves you buying it for the PC. There are certain times where you need to just say screw your friends!

You need to school them about the game being much better on PC and maybe they should look into getting a cheap gaming PC or just upgrading their PC. They can afford a 360/PS3 and the games then they can afford a gaming PC. The problem with gamers these days is they all want to roll over and sleep with Microsoft/Sony and play with their thumbs (YUCK) and not work for the best gaming experience found on the PC. :( Don't be one of those people! :D

There are certain games (like this one ;) ) that deserves you buying it for the PC. There are certain times where you need to just say screw your friends!

You need to school them about the game being much better on PC and maybe they should look into getting a cheap gaming PC or just upgrading their PC. They can afford a 360/PS3 and the games then they can afford a gaming PC. The problem with gamers these days is they all want to roll over and sleep with Microsoft/Sony and play with their thumbs (YUCK) and not work for the best gaming experience found on the PC. :( Don't be one of those people! :D

It's the reality man... most people have consoles. Good luck convincing someone to buy a $1000+ gaming PC to play a few games.

"to play a few games... " seems like many people play those games A LOT though lol. And the luckier ones on not so inexpensive hdtvs. Its like saying don't buy a surround system and a decent hdtv to watch "a little tv" and "a few movies", when you are actually watching them in large blocks of time regularly as a major pasttime. A budget gaming pc can be 3x or more of the cost of a console at $1000 though its true, but its worth it. (btw Sharkyextreme.com runs a decent budget gaming rig buyers guide but its not updated very often).

I think the console thing has a lot of reasons for being the choice of many. First of all its a relatively cheap all-in-one dummy portal box, so parents don't seem to mind paying for it. Since its likely that a large portion of consoles are bought by mommy and daddy or relatives this could be a big factor.
Other reasons are that you need almost no technical knowledge to use the console system, and they don't really get virrii and need fixing and tweaking like pcs (other than RROD perhaps and ocasional optical drive failures).
The other big thing is that they are fairly rugged and you can slap them in a living room no problem. Most people want a console for the lving room/rec room, and have never connected a pc to a tv. They can connect to old tv's too so either way people get to skip out on the price of a dedicated monitor.
Devs like them because the content is controlled so much, the hardware is all the same, and there isn't much piracy, at least for online games. (Xbox360 can be modded to play bootleg games, but it gets ppl banned from xboxlive).

I like consoles I just think for FPS they are watered down and sloppy. I sometimes compare the use of gamepads along with the gamepad look/turn speed and aiming "enhancements" to using training wheels. With the hardware of consoles being more like a decent pc now this doesnt have to be the case with FPS either, it just is. Things like the fragfx and the fragnstein, and PC peripherals like the belkin nostromo and the logitech g13 gameboard show that the gamepad design could be modernized so that mouse+keyboard style controls wouldn't necessarily require a big honking keyboard either. The look and aiming code are still stuck on training wheels though no matter what peripherals you could use unfortunately. :p

A budget gaming pc can be 3x or more of the cost of a console at $1000 though its true, but its worth it. (btw Sharkyextreme.com runs a decent budget gaming rig buyers guide but its not updated very often).

Most people cannot build and configure their own PCs. The great majority of my friends are not computer savvy.

Since its likely that a large portion of consoles are bought by mommy and daddy or relatives this could be a big factor.

Maybe 15 years ago... not anymore, we've grown up. See http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/07/17/survey:-average-u.s.-gamer-age-35;-40%-are-women

The look and aiming code are still stuck on training wheels though no matter what peripherals you could use unfortunately. :p
Sad but true :(

$1000 for a gaming pc? Since when?

I can build a core 2 duo - guaranteed 4.0ghz with a gtx260 for like $600. Guaranteed to make your 360 look like AC Green on the Big Screen when run'n MW2 Yo. :p

$1000 for a gaming pc? Since when?

I can build a core 2 duo - guaranteed 4.0ghz with a gtx260 for like $600. Guaranteed to make your 360 look like AC Green on the Big Screen when run'n MW2 Yo. :p

The point was that most people cannot do that.

Back