Call of Duty Elite premium....$50 per year & montly DLC

I would if they started charging extra for the plate,napkins and condiments..:rolleyes:

Actually, it's worse than that, the plate and napkins are on an annual lease. You can't even use them if you don't continue to pay.

Actually, it's worse than that, the plate and napkins are on an annual lease. You can't even use them if you don't continue to pay.
You did not read the article. The DLC you get by being a member will still be usable when your subscription lapses.

I think the gaming industry has grown too big for its own good.

These days is not about making a game with great value to compete for customers, but its about coming up with multiple different ways you can charge a person for one single game.

I think the gaming industry has grown too big for its own good.

These days is not about making a game with great value to compete for customers, but its about coming up with multiple different ways you can charge a person for one single game.
I actually think it's become a balancing act in between consumers that think they can take as they wish concerning digital media and businesses that are trying to make sure that they are compensated for their hard work.

The businesses and the people that are a part of the businesses that create these games aren't doing it "just for fun"...yet all people do is bitch, moan, and complain about how things could be better...

hmmm, or I could just buy BF3, have all this for free along with an up to date game that will stress my system and look awesome...decisions, decisions.

I would if they started charging extra for the plate,napkins and condiments..:rolleyes:
Some places around here already do that. 10 cents for extra sauce, ketchup, etc. Needless to say I don't go there anymore. :rolleyes:

Some places around here already do that. 10 cents for extra sauce, ketchup, etc. Needless to say I don't go there anymore. :rolleyes:

Exactly, this is a good way to get me to stop visiting an establishment. I don't mind paying more for good food, but if they're gonna nickle and dime me just to be cheap tools then I'll generally just go elsewhere out of principle. These same principles apply to my gaming choices. IMHO they'll just drive themselves into extinction eventually with their ill will towards their customers.

hmmm, or I could just buy BF3, have all this for free along with an up to date game that will stress my system and look awesome...decisions, decisions.

You dont think BF3 will have DLC? ;)

To be fair I can see why people still buy the game. Clearly the people against COD are the sort of people who want every game to be innovative and new, but really that's not what's important to a lot of people. If you go and buy a burger and love it, you'll come back next week and buy it again and wont go bitching to the chef "holy shit this is the exact same thing as last week! What terrible value!". If you wanted something different you should have gone to a different bloody restaurant.

People keep buying COD because they want more of the same, not because they want innovation and you can't fault them for that really, otherwise you're just some douche saying "You are all stupid for liking something I dont like!".

Your analogy indicates why you think the way you think. The people who bought the previous COD games didn't consume them like a one-time asset (your burger analogy), those games are still there and available to use. Those games are so damn similar to what is being released now that $60 is not a reasonable price to ask. I've bought expansion packs for games at release time that offered completely different gameplay, but were only $15.

To correct your analogy, its like buying a burger, eating a bite, then going to buy the same damn thing again because its 5 minutes newer, and they put an extra slice of pickle on it. Oh wait, I've had my bite of this burger, time to go buy another burger because the one I originally bought has been sitting out for 10 minutes, and I already ate the extra pickle on the last burger. Sounds about as fucking retarded as buying COD every year doesn't it?

The problem here is that people who eat this shit up every year are encouraging developers to behave this way. Instead of saying, "Fuck you I have an ounce of dignity and would not like to get ripped off", they're saying the opposite: "I will buy whatever you release, regardless of how much of a rehash it is." Shit, people have been saying, "Its not what I hoped for, I'm kind of disappointed, but fuck it I'll reinforce this bullshit by using my money to keep the trend going."

You dont think BF3 will have DLC? ;)

Yup, Dice has stated 3x the amount of dlc as BC2. With Karkand being the first one(free with LE) that leaves 2 to buy. Now if the other 2 dlc give the core game as much re-playability as Vietnam gave BC2 for me then I will happily buy them both. With Battlefield we are buying total conversions, not recycled maps...cough Crash, cough

It is a decent deal if I enjoy the game enough that I plan on buying all the DLC. If so, it's a decent deal because it saves me $10. If you don't see any value in the DLC, that's fine. I do (or may, rather), so to me it's a decent deal.

This isn't subjective. Things you're going to be wasting your money on were once free. You're getting significantly less for your money, and its simply unarguable.

Graphics really aren't everything. For example, Deus Ex: HR is all the rage here right now, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Yet some of the faces look like they're from the original game. From 2000. If I wanted graphics, I'd go play Crysis Wars. Oh wait - nobody plays it. I wonder why that is?

I bet you'd complain if BF3 was running off the same graphics engine as BF2. This is a valid comparison simply based on the similar amount of time which has passed between BF2 and BF3 compared to MW1 and MW3. Graphics aren't everything, but if they don't advance over half a decade... then its just showing laziness.

Depends on what you mean here. I could make the argument that this game has the same gameplay as Counter-Strike because you run around corridors shooting people with modern weapons and players have relatively low amounts of health. I could also make the argument that the gameplay of MW2 was vastly different from COD4 because the changes allowed for tactics like kniferunning.

But Counter Strike was free (in a way), it didn't come out with a $60 rehash of the same game every year with a few little trinkets added in to create the slightest differentiation of features. Counter Strike has mods and new maps for FREE. And yes, the base gameplay is very similar to COD. A small arena setting can only have so much ingenuity.

I think what it comes down to is that the basic formula of COD is fun, and people buy it. So no, the gameplay is never going to be so different that you won't recognize it as COD at its core.

How about improvements though? You don't think people would love to hear that they're making the maps larger and adding in twice the player capacity??? You don't think people would like to control the shitty little dog from a killstreak, instead of pressing a single button? Some sort of ingenuity would justify the money.

All video game gun sounds are shitty unless you need to wear ear protection while playing. Given that guns that sound realistic are not a realistic goal, I will settle for guns that sound cool. It's a game.

There's shitty and there's the sound of paper tearing. COD sound effects don't even remotely resemble a gunshot, they sound like someone sampled a piece of notebook paper being torn and developed it into the gunfire SFX. If you play the gunfire SFX from COD to a random non-gamer and ask them what it is, they would probably have to really try hard to imaging that its from a firearm. BF games (of late) have sounds that actually resemble the actions for which they are being played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCJUHz-8pDk

I'm guessing the maps will be a bit larger, as the player count is being increased to 32 again. So I'd imagine they'll be more COD4-sized. If you want something much bigger, then you're probably looking to play something like Battlefield or ArmA. They're different games for a reason.

So they introduce a feature in one game, take it away, then reintroduce it as an improvement later? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

PC Gamers are the kind of people that beg to be ripped off. $400 for a video card alone? I can get two whole consoles for that kind of money! Someone needs to psychoanalyze PC Gamers to see if they have something similar to Stockholm Syndrome. What a ripoff.

Most games are playable with a 100-150 dollar video card with better visual fidelity than that of a console. People that pay 400+ dollars for a video card are doing it for extreme visual fidelity or multiple monitor support, and also use it for other tasks as well.

Oh, now expansion packs used to be free?

All major BF games have had free maps and content. Some you have to pay for, but most of them were in the $15 dollar range and were full expansions (for instance, 5-6 maps, new weapons, factions, features, etc).

Oh look, here is a PC multiplayer-only expansion pack released in 2000. It may be a bit late, but we all need to start boycotting ID Software right now. We can't sit still for this!

Hey look what happened to Quake, its still around and kicking... no that's not right. Quake was an overdrawn shitty franchise too. Some of the original iterations were fun, but after that... not so much.

You must be new here. People can and do act like that all the time.

I usually respond by saying something along the lines of "That band you like sucks!"

My intention isn't to say that the style of game you like is bad, because that's your opinion. Facts can be drawn from what someone pays and gets in return. In this case, COD MW3 is a ripoff.

Last edited:
Your analogy indicates why you think the way you think. The people who bought the previous COD games didn't consume them like a one-time asset (your burger analogy), those games are still there and available to use. Those games are so damn similar to what is being released now that $60 is not a reasonable price to ask. I've bought expansion packs for games at release time that offered completely different gameplay, but were only $15.

To correct your analogy, its like buying a burger, eating a bite, then going to buy the same damn thing again because its 5 minutes newer, and they put an extra slice of pickle on it. Oh wait, I've had my bite of this burger, time to go buy another burger because the one I originally bought has been sitting out for 10 minutes, and I already ate the extra pickle on the last burger. Sounds about as fucking retarded as buying COD every year doesn't it?

The problem here is that people who eat this shit up every year are encouraging developers to behave this way. Instead of saying, "Fuck you I have an ounce of dignity and would not like to get ripped off", they're saying the opposite: "I will buy whatever you release, regardless of how much of a rehash it is." Shit, people have been saying, "Its not what I hoped for, I'm kind of disappointed, but fuck it I'll reinforce this bullshit by using my money to keep the trend going."

Obviously my analogy is an extreme ;) But I still think its reasonable. The multiplayer experience degrades over time and people want to refresh it. Who are you to say its not worth $60? Its not worth $60 to YOU, that's all you can say. Some people will go out to dinner and spend $100 a head... I sure as fuck dont think its worth it, I sure as fuck wouldn't do it, but its not for me to judge the value to someone else.

I just find it hugely arrogant and a show of utter douchebaggery to act superior and insult the intelligence of others because they find something worth while when you dont. Its a form of entertainment for fuck sake, who the hell is anyone to go around saying other people are stupid just because they want to spend their money differently to other people. It boggles my mind that on a hardware enthusiast forum where we have people spending anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to tens of thousands of dollars on computer hardware you'd find people calling other people stupid for spending money how they want. If you ask a person on these forums why they spent $5000 on a PC when a $1500 computer would be sufficient, you'd often get the response "its a hobby". Well so are games. Just because a game isn't worth $60 to YOU and YOU feel like its a rip off doesn't make everyone ELSE mentally retarded.

The way I look at it, COD will stop selling when people stop enjoying it and not sooner and not later (they might keep making it "later", but the sales wont be there). I honestly dont understand how people could be such arses to accuse others of some sort of mental retardation simply because they enjoy something different and place a different monetary value on things.

Fact is, COD is a fun game, COD is well marketed, therefore COD sells. If COD weren't fun, it wouldn't sell. When they've beaten the series to the point that its no longer fun enough to warrant the price, people will stop buying it. History has shown games dont sell based on what the community here at [H] agrees with. MW2 boycott group is proof enough of that. All you can do is not buy the game, bitch about it on forums if you want, but for goodness sake stop with the constant insults. "waaah, the majority of gamers dont agree with me, waaah, I'm gonna go insult them on internet forums, waaah" Get over it :p

Last edited:
I actually think it's become a balancing act in between consumers that think they can take as they wish concerning digital media and businesses that are trying to make sure that they are compensated for their hard work.

The businesses and the people that are a part of the businesses that create these games aren't doing it "just for fun"...yet all people do is bitch, moan, and complain about how things could be better...

Of course these games are not free, but where do you draw the line between that and ridiculous pricing that rip off the customers?

There are many games out there that cost less than 60 bucks. For 60 bucks, you are already paying a premium price for a popular franchise, so I think its safe to say they are all compensated nicely. Yet here, on top of paying the premium price for a AAA title, you have to pay another premium subscription price as if the $60 game itself is just basic.

Its like the popcorn's price at the theater. You don't have to run a popcorn business to tell those price they are charging are ridiculous.

This is what we get for continuing to shell out $50+ for half games.
This is what we get for continuing to shell out cash for the rest of the game. (many DLC packs)
This is what we get for accepting no mod/map tools.
This is what we get for accepting no true dedicated servers (the BS publisher controlled private servers count for shit)
This is what we get for accepting loss of lan.
This is what we get for accepting the absence of demos.
This is what we get for accepting the loss, little by little, of what were once standard features.

Over the course of two years, you get to pay $160 or more, for a, when taken as a whole DLC included, is maybe a $40 game.

Try to compare COD MW2 and it's DLC to the UT series, or Quake series, or TF2, or other games that had all these features. Which represented the better deal for the money?

The devs and pubs of this world are not wrecking PC gaming, the huge group of moron gamers paying them to do it are. They have perfected the ability to smile while being ass raped while simultaneously defending the actions of their rapist.
Does battered gamer syndrome count as a mental illness?

I LOVE YOU!!!

Yup, Dice has stated 3x the amount of dlc as BC2. With Karkand being the first one(free with LE) that leaves 2 to buy. Now if the other 2 dlc give the core game as much re-playability as Vietnam gave BC2 for me then I will happily buy them both. With Battlefield we are buying total conversions, not recycled maps...cough Crash, cough

This is a great post. You don't actually have a problem with paying for maps. Paid DLC map packs for one game are absolutely fine for you because you'll get a lot of play time out of them, but fuck anyone who gets the same amount of playtime from paid DLC maps for another game just because you don't like that game. Is that about right?

As for no recycled maps, what do you think the Karkand map pack is exactly? Or does that not count because they are forcing you to buy the game before it even releases so that you can get it for 'free'? ;)

To the people who say that voting with your wallet doesn't work, you are wrong.

There's proof that it works, and it's in every sales chart that shows the best selling games as being games that wouldn't have been bought at all during the golden age of gaming when gamers actually had standards.

it's not like that anymore, but the parade of kiddies buying up these games ensures that they will get their annual release and people will line up around the block to buy it.

This is a great post. You don't actually have a problem with paying for maps. Paid DLC map packs for one game are absolutely fine for you because you'll get a lot of play time out of them, but fuck anyone who gets the same amount of playtime from paid DLC maps for another game just because you don't like that game. Is that about right?

As for no recycled maps, what do you think the Karkand map pack is exactly? Or does that not count because they are forcing you to buy the game before it even releases so that you can get it for 'free'? ;)

I think the point he was making was that dlc in other games have been much more than recycled mappacks. Consider the dlc for fallout 3. Same price but it added hours worth of quests, new weapons, new abilities, new enemies, and new lands alto explore. As far as bc2 goes, the Vietnam dlc offered a total conversion for them name. New maps, sure, but they were original maps. Not to mention all new weapons. It felt almost like a completely different game. What do you get with a cod mappack? New weapons? No. New perks? No. New killstreaks? No. For your 15l bucks you get a handful of maps, and sometimes they're the same damn maps as the previous games only now ported to the latest iteration of the series.

LOL @ all the people in here who get pissed because a developer has decided to charge more for their product. I remember back in the day I refused to play world of warcraft because they charged a monthly fee. But I never got pissed. I simply didn't buy or play the game. People get all riled up over companies trying to make more money on their products. I bet these people had an aneurism back when video games went up to 50 cents over the 25 cents they used to cost. OOOh what about the damn candy bar bastards who increased a candy bar from 25 cents to 50 cents???!!??

People will pay for what they like. It is that simple. They aren't sheep for paying for what they want.

Oh and why are people who buy the DLC and new games called "kiddies"?? My wife and I are in our 40's and we buy all kinds of games on the PC, 360, and PS3. We just buy the games we like or are interested in.

sorry to go slightly off topic, but does anyone know roughly what the player numbers are for cod4?

I don't see how this is a bad deal, since for 50 dollars you get all the map packs and whatever future DLC they may put out for the year you pay for.

I'd rather pay this, than pay 50 dollars to go online for a year on say an xbox.

LOL @ all the people in here who get pissed because a developer has decided to charge more for their product. I remember back in the day I refused to play world of warcraft because they charged a monthly fee. But I never got pissed. I simply didn't buy or play the game. People get all riled up over companies trying to make more money on their products. I bet these people had an aneurism back when video games went up to 50 cents over the 25 cents they used to cost. OOOh what about the damn candy bar bastards who increased a candy bar from 25 cents to 50 cents???!!??

People will pay for what they like. It is that simple. They aren't sheep for paying for what they want.

Oh and why are people who buy the DLC and new games called "kiddies"?? My wife and I are in our 40's and we buy all kinds of games on the PC, 360, and PS3. We just buy the games we like or are interested in.

You're right, because 40 year olds make up a majority of the gaming population, so you're right, you're not a kiddie by any means, clearly I was wrong.

People don't realize how bad we really have it today. 10-12 years ago, people would have gone "WTF?! Paying for maps?"

When I was playing HL1, I got ~300 maps and skins for free, not to mention cool mods like They Hunger, Cold Ice, Sven Co-Op, Action Half Life, and Counterstrike. Same with Unreal, Quake, and Unreal 2004. With Battlefield 1942, I got an entire game (Desert Combat) for free.

What cool mods and maps are there for BC2? Modern Warfare? Anything of the caliber of "They Hunger"? Mainstream gaming is getting narrower and narrower. If anyone asked us in 1999 what we thought modding would be like in 2011, none of us would have imagined the horrific state its in today.

biln8.jpg

9k=

9k=

This post alone should have it's own stickied thread and be required to be read by every forum member who enters the gaming section at least once.

I'd rather pay this, than pay 50 dollars to go online for a year on say an xbox.

P2P multiplayer should always be free (and is on PC/PS3/Wii just not xbox...which is the reason I woldn't own either version) :p Free like map packs and supporting your own game should be...

But live is a good example of something that was free that someone then charged people for and they willingly ate it up...:confused:

You are short sighted then. The future landscape of gaming will be affected. Or do you not plan to play much longer?

I don't see how this is a bad deal, since for 50 dollars you get all the map packs and whatever future DLC they may put out for the year you pay for.

I am going to try not to be rude, but that is fucking stupid as shit. The developer releases a game without content which is withheld at release, and then charges you a fee to access it at a later date. This time they bundle it with a service that keeps track of your character (BF2 did it for free and still does 6 years later), and you think its a good deal? You are really are willing to pay $110 for what is already considered by most people to be a mediocre expansion pack to COD4? They haven't even announced what DLC they will release, but you are going to take it on faith that it will be 4-5 packs?

Jesus H Christ, you must send Nigerian Princes so much money. Speaking of which, King Muffassa has recently passed away and you're apparently listed on his Will. Send me your bank account information and access password and I'll transfer your portion of the inheritance.

Hey its worth a try.

Last edited:
I am going to try not to be rude, but that is fucking stupid as shit. The developer releases a game without content which is withheld at release, and then charges you a fee to access it at a later date. This time they bundle it with a service that keeps track of your character (BF2 did it for free and still does 6 years later), and you think its a good deal? You are really are willing to pay $110 for what is already considered by most people to be a mediocre expansion pack to COD4? They haven't even announced what DLC they will release, but you are going to take it on faith that it will be 4-5 packs?

Jesus H Christ, you must send Nigerian Princes so much money. Speaking of which, King Muffassa has recently passed away and you're apparently listed on his Will. Send me your bank account information and access password and I'll transfer your portion of the inheritance.

Hey its worth a try.
Sorry I can afford to game, and you can't. Is that what you want me to say? I don't like it either, but I am not blind when it comes to things like this. It's a good deal compared to spending 15 dollars per map pack, and nothing more. So please, control your anger.

Actually, people are sheep who will buy whatever is placed in front of them, regardless of the cost for such a similar item to the previous 3-4 items they purchased. The only explanation for people actually buying MW3 is that they are just that empty that they need another COD game, regardless of how similar it is to the previous 4-5 games. These are the same people that find it worthwhile to buy Madden Football every year just because a few players are transferred and there are new menus.

I think people that play video games day and night have relatively empty lives, and I KNOW people that buy the same shit year after year just because they've been programmed to do so have completely empty lives.

Sorry I can afford to game, and you can't. Is that what you want me to say? I don't like it either, but I am not blind when it comes to things like this. It's a good deal compared to spending 15 dollars per map pack, and nothing more. So please, control your anger.

It isn't a good deal because there is no commitment by the developer to release a certain amount of content. What if they only release 3 map packs before the same game is released with a new title next year? Paying for something that has been withheld from you is never a good deal, even if it would have been more expensive under other circumstances.

But you're right, I can't afford it. I spent all my money buying my wife an Acura. You never PM'ed me your bank account login&password so I can transfer the King's money to you.

Actually, people are sheep who will buy whatever is placed in front of them, regardless of the cost for such a similar item to the previous 3-4 items they purchased. The only explanation for people actually buying MW3 is that they are just that empty that they need another COD game, regardless of how similar it is to the previous 4-5 games. These are the same people that find it worthwhile to buy Madden Football every year just because a few players are transferred and there are new menus.

I think people that play video games day and night have relatively empty lives, and I KNOW people that buy the same shit year after year just because they've been programmed to do so have completely empty lives.

6JaYI.png

Honestly, I don't see why you feel the need to tell people they're wrong for enjoying these games.

You don't, they do. What's the problem? Are you this insufferable in real life when someone mentions they enjoy Call of Duty?

You're right, because 40 year olds make up a majority of the gaming population, so you're right, you're not a kiddie by any means, clearly I was wrong.

Nah man, you're totally right. Your random assumption that the majority of people who are buying this stuff are kids is totally and 100% correct. How could it be wrong with all the compelling evidence you've provided, you're clearly just a higher form of intelligence.

6JaYI.png

Honestly, I don't see why you feel the need to tell people they're wrong for enjoying these games.

You don't, they do. What's the problem? Are you this insufferable in real life when someone mentions they enjoy Call of Duty?

Haha, this is basically how I see it.

How could it be wrong with all the compelling evidence you've provided, you're clearly just a higher form of intelligence.

That's pretty much the universal opinion of me. :D

At least you got something right.

That's pretty much the universal opinion of me. :D

At least you got something right.

It's actually almost funny how many over 30, and over 40, and even over 50, gamers there are here on [H].

Or., just maybe, $50 isn't much money to most. Especially considering the small amount of quality games today as compared to 5-10 years ago. You chose to buy a dressed up Honda, good for you. The one year depreciation on that Acura is enough to buy 100 copies. Feeling silly?

Last edited:
The amount is only part of the point. The offering us less for more $$$ pisses off people regardless of the amount. Less game, fewer features, long standing standard features for this type of game removed, and then they want us to pay more for it. Not just a little more, but nearly twice as much for the full game for the first year. Nearly three times as much if you go two years.

I understand that some people just don't care about it due to one reason or another.. I would think it would not be all that difficult for others to understand that some people do care, and find it unacceptable.
Of course those of us that do care, are attempting to force our will on the universe. We prolly will not succeed, but I'll be damned if I don't at least try.

Seeing you all debate about this is just funny. You don't like it? Fine don't subscribe. You enjoy COD and see it as a good deal? Go for it subscribe and have fun.

Some of you I know based on your previous post history hate COD with a passion yet you come in to debate and *inform* others that this service is a bad idea lol.

I'm no huge fan of COD and I don't personally think this service is worth it but I'm a firm believer that you should feel free to make whichever choice you want. Why do any of you even care what someone else does with there money? I sure as shit don't.

People don't realize how bad we really have it today. 10-12 years ago, people would have gone "WTF?! Paying for maps?"

When I was playing HL1, I got ~300 maps and skins for free, not to mention cool mods like They Hunger, Cold Ice, Sven Co-Op, Action Half Life, and Counterstrike. Same with Unreal, Quake, and Unreal 2004. With Battlefield 1942, I got an entire game (Desert Combat) for free.

What cool mods and maps are there for BC2? Modern Warfare? Anything of the caliber of "They Hunger"? Mainstream gaming is getting narrower and narrower. If anyone asked us in 1999 what we thought modding would be like in 2011, none of us would have imagined the horrific state its in today.

biln8.jpg

9k=

9k=

TRUTH!

This is just stupid with BF3 competing at the same time. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Sadly I can only see idiots that play console games purchasing something like this - I really can't see many PC gamers willing to pay $50 yearly for DLC. Most DLC I've bought for MP is a bust since many people don't buy DLC on the PC.

I hope the people that usually buy this stuff (gamers on the PS3 and XBOX 360) boycott this and don't pay for elite. If no one buys it they will see this is not something people are willing to deal with and maybe the time of DLC will come to an end.

Absolutely stupid idea and I hope this fails miserably.

Last edited:
Back