Call of Duty: Black Ops will have Dedicated Servers

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
It looks like all of the complaining over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’s lack of dedicated servers actually did pay off. I figured it wasn’t going to make a difference since people still bought Modern Warfare 2 regardless.

"We do work very hard to reconcile the desire to manipulate and modify those dedicated servers with offering them the persistent experience and benefits that the console system provides."

It didn't pay off because MW2 never got dedicated server support. You'd expect all multiplayer games on the PC to have dedicated servers, so they're not off the hook for having them in Black Ops.

10:1 says it will be like BC2.

Dedicated servers but you have to lease them. Which in my opinion is no fucking better than not having them at all.

who cares.. I don't understand all the whining about dedicated servers... I have the game and love it.. Why are you all so clammoring for dedicated server? so you canmake your own maps and cheat on them?

They also mentioned supporting the modding and competative communities. I guess this means old school dedis. I know. I'm a dork for being really fuckin happy about this.

Thank you Treyarch.

Suck a fat one IW/Respawn. I guess IWnet was your fucked up idea and not Bobby's.

who cares.. I don't understand all the whining about dedicated servers... I have the game and love it.. Why are you all so clammoring for dedicated server? so you canmake your own maps and cheat on them?

Amateur Hour.

10:1 says it will be like BC2.

Dedicated servers but you have to lease them. Which in my opinion is no fucking better than not having them at all.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's a hell of a lot better then P2P. I've played BC2 and the only times I've been dropped out of the games is because my internet connection went down. While playing MW2 I've been dropped out of the game for any number of reasons being given only a cryptic message on why. Dedicated is dedicated. P2P is nothing like dedicated.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's a hell of a lot better then P2P. I've played BC2 and the only times I've been dropped out of the games is because my internet connection went down. While playing MW2 I've been dropped out of the game for any number of reasons being given only a cryptic message on why. Dedicated is dedicated. P2P is nothing like dedicated.

my reason is just due to shot lag, the amount of times i been killed when i have got the other one on point with the gun and all the shots to show it, then looking at the replay to make it look i never shot any thing at all, lag of host, never happens on cod4 or Bf BC2 (you can kill each other on bc2) unless your on an crappy server (not in the EU)

Dedicated servers offer great control over the style of gameplay, promote mods in the community and overall can improve the lifespan and quality of the game.

All in all, it should help the game. I mean, look how long hlds has been around, and what, there's always options for gameplay, non mod, mod, crazy stupid off the wall mod, asshole admin on powertrip mod, all the things that keep the game fun ;)

I never cheated when I admin'd or hosted servers, I was abusive for the fun of the server, but never to be a jerk :)

For me there aren't enough people on the map. Action is way too slow.

I like having more people on the ded. server setup, but I hate all the admins telling me how I have to play the game I bought. No tubes, shooting thru smoke, bunny hopping, camping, sniper riffles, etc, etc. Why dont I just stand in the street with my pants down, and you shoot me in the arse, so you can win.

Thats why World at War is the shit and why i STILL play it. Custom maps and dedicated servers...the vietnam maps are sick.

I like having more people on the ded. server setup, but I hate all the admins telling me how I have to play the game I bought. No tubes, shooting thru smoke, bunny hopping, camping, sniper riffles, etc, etc. Why dont I just stand in the middle of the street with my pants down, holding my knife, and you shoot me in the arse, so you have a better chance of winning. If I still win, you will change the rules again.

I like having more people on the ded. server setup, but I hate all the admins telling me how I have to play the game I bought. No tubes, shooting thru smoke, bunny hopping, camping, sniper riffles, etc, etc. Why dont I just stand in the street with my pants down, and you shoot me in the arse, so you can win.

Just avoid the servers run by baddy admins who just want a playing field tilted in their favor.

news just in : $15 map packs will continue

Eh, it's not like these maps are being made by kids sitting around in their underwear. I guess it's fair to pay a little for a good set of expansion levels.

I think people see games as costing too much for no reason. $60 looks like a big price tag for a game, but for someone like me who is going to play the multiplayer day in and day out (still playing COD4 quite a bit, with a few breaks here and there, but I've played literally thousands of matches) $50 or more is more than worth it. $60 is peanuts for countless hours of entertainment.

Of course it will have dedicated servers there is no reason for this game to exist they have to get sales somehow.

Eh, it's not like these maps are being made by kids sitting around in their underwear. I guess it's fair to pay a little for a good set of expansion levels.

I think people see games as costing too much for no reason. $60 looks like a big price tag for a game, but for someone like me who is going to play the multiplayer day in and day out (still playing COD4 quite a bit, with a few breaks here and there, but I've played literally thousands of matches) $50 or more is more than worth it. $60 is peanuts for countless hours of entertainment.

$60 to buy the game is bad enough another $15 to play on the maps everyone else is on makes it a $75 game.

$60 is not peanuts when there is enough entertainment to be had in $50 games that happen to be better. Especially when you take into consideration that the $60 game lacks features that are common in the cheaper games its juts a poor value.

They already make money hand over fist at $50 hiking the price up to $60 is pure filthy greed.

Well I have gotten more than my fair share's worth of the $50 I paid for COD4. It has cost me literally fractions of pennies per hour of gameplay. That's really, really good.

Your statement that there are 'better games' is entirely subjective. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. As I've decided to skip on MW2 and COD has become my favorite game series, I'm sure Spec Ops will fill the gap for and provide more than it's fair share of what it's worth, once again though, that's just me.

Im actually intrigued by Blackops. I doubt Ill be running out the door to buy it like MW2 kiddies.

I really find it quite amusing that roughly 50%+ of the names on the "Boycott MW2" list screencap were playing MW2 at the time the screencap was taken. Solidarity in action, or is it inaction?

I hate the fact that there aren't dedicated servers, it'd be nice to have the option to run mods in the server and have a place to easily hook up with the same people at the same time without being forced to "befriend" them.

I really find it quite amusing that roughly 50%+ of the names on the "Boycott MW2" list screencap were playing MW2 at the time the screencap was taken. Solidarity in action, or is it inaction?

I hate the fact that there aren't dedicated servers, it'd be nice to have the option to run mods in the server and have a place to easily hook up with the same people at the same time without being forced to "befriend" them.

Not to mention that you can't call votes or make any of a wide variety of server-based decisions like what maps are played, who gets kicked or banned and why, etc. No admins, no real control... this no dedi/IWNet situation on MW2 really was the deciding factor in my saying 'no' to buying it even though the free weekends proved to be fun as hell. COD4 will get me through til Spec Ops.

Ranked servers in BF2 had to be leased or follow some sort official process as well. There is nothing new here... I'm glad that they listened and are going to have dedicated servers. I still haven't bought MW2, but I may consider Black Ops.

There's basically no way to have competitive play without dedicated servers, and competitive play is probably the best way to extend the life of a game.

You are clueless aren't you, are you 12?

Can you play on 30 person MW2 server? No, because some cuss has to host all the users, both directions the traffic required goes up significantly. On a Dedicated Server with a big pipe, only updates need to be sent to client, so if someone is slow, it it only them, not everyone.

Didn't you ever play COD4 or cod5 on dedicated servers, custom maps, and no cheaters?

If not, fire up your old COD4 and coma play on a OFAW server running the Open Warefare mod. Makes it 100 times more realistic. Also, their servers are on PBHUB, so if you get caught hacking on any PBHUB server, you are banned from all PBUHB servers.

Not only that, I heard there are all kinds of hacks in MW2.

Me, I never bought the MW2 POS.

I think they decided to allow dedicated serves because of all the servers problems they had, being DDoS'd and so on.

dedicated servers = far less cost and overhead for them.

Also since it was shown their system was easily hacked and by-passed, they have no leg to stand on to not support dedicated servers.

I love how the majority of the players on the "BOYCOTT MW2" steam group are currently playing MW2.

That was hilarious the day they took that screen shot, most people said they would, but did, i myself though have yet to play the game and refuse to even at friends places.

At least my own personal boycott of MW2 is still going strong! This is good news at least. I don't care if it'll be like BF:BC2's leased servers or "proper" dedicated servers. Just give me stable servers!

Its good to see they are responding to the community reaction about MW2.

I'm not one of them who boycott MW2, but I just don't see any reason to get it either. The short SP campaign was probably the only thing that's worth playing for me.

I think they decided to allow dedicated serves because of all the servers problems they had, being DDoS'd and so on.

dedicated servers = far less cost and overhead for them.

Also since it was shown their system was easily hacked and by-passed, they have no leg to stand on to not support dedicated servers.

How would dedicated servers cost less? The current setup is p2p so they are not paying anything for it as it is.

Im all for dedicated servers and boycott MW2 myself because of it but it would likely cost them more to develop dedicated servers and keep up on them then just leaving it p2p.

Thats my biggest beef, charging $10 more and skimping on features makes no sense.

But is it going to be $60?

The only way I got MW2 was because it came FREE with my 5850...

$60 a game is way too much, seriously.I definitely did not get $60 worth of enjoyment out of it.\

What I remember from taking a closer look at that group at that time was a lot of single player that (back then) was crackable.

Seriously, $60 is way too much. Even for MW2 and BC2, I wanted for ad typos/sales and eventually, I spent no more than $30 for each copy.

Unless it'll wow me to the point of ejaculation, it is definitely not worth the 3 Jacksons.

Back