Call of Duty: Black Ops III Has $550M Opening Weekend

HardOCP News

[H] News
Say what you want about the Call of Duty franchise but those games rake in the cash hand over fist. :eek:

Activision Publishing, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI), today confirmed that Call of Duty®: Black Ops III is the biggest entertainment launch of the year. In its first three days, the blockbuster title exceeded $550 million in sell-through worldwide, according to Activision estimates. The opening weekend haul is the biggest entertainment launch of 2015, including theatrical box office, music and book launches. Engagement per player also set a new record for the Call of Duty® franchise. Additionally, fans played more than 75 million hours online in its opening three days.

Well deserved, I think the latest iteration is really good. It adds enough to the experience while maintaining the feel of the previous ones.

Funny how everyone rips this series...but people just keep on buying it.

A lot of people rip on it. Those that do obviously aren't in the majority of game buyers. We also rip Kardashians, yet they are selling like hot cakes. Apple products, similar.

I want to pick this one up. Looks like it's enough of a change from previous ones to warrant a purchase. I may like it. I didn't care for the others very much (same ol', same ol'), but the kids liked them. So, I really haven't played one for more than an hour since CoD 2.

I think that has to do with how they review games. They review 95% based on the single player experience which has been a bore-fest since COD4-MW. However, that isn't what people play. They play multiplayer which is fun as bloody hell and something that all COD games have mastered. Its not as "realistic" as some other franchises, but its alot funner than any IMO.

it is fun. Similar to AW but has a more fun feel to it, hard to describe. I love wall running and shooting, and they are much better at the zombie levels.

Well, most of them. Ghosts and Advanced Warfare didn't do so well. I bought this one for all the coop gameplay it offers. I haven't actually paid for a CoD game since CoD 4 (the first Modern Warfare). The 46 gig download was a little insane and I think the $50 "season pass" is a money grab to milk it for all it's worth, but I should get my money's worth out of the base game.

I think it's just an indication of how bored people are with PC gaming. There isn't much worth playing and PC releases are few and far between, so people just look at any military shooter that comes along as a snack to hold them over until something captivating arrives. I'm pretty much sick of it, so I'll sit this one out.

Most people are bored and stupefied. Hence the strong sales.

BF4 60hz 48 man servers like section 8 are the best online fps experience I have had in a loong time. cod feels like a fight in a closet with airsoft guns in comparison.

I think it's just an indication of how bored people are with PC gaming. There isn't much worth playing and PC releases are few and far between, so people just look at any military shooter that comes along as a snack to hold them over until something captivating arrives. I'm pretty much sick of it, so I'll sit this one out.

Bring out a great WW2 style CoD again. Bring out a mix of Medal of Honor, CoD 1. Make it the best damn campaign you can. Then, create a good multiplayer in that environment.

Omaha beach with co-op? That'd be wicked. Tip toeing around France with Nazi's abound? Fuck yea.

CoD has a ton of potential. WW2 games were done to death several years ago. Now? With the new technology, new systems, much better graphics and audio fidelity? Do one. But, do it great. No compromises.

Other than that, it's just a stagnant PC market.

If I wasn't so cash strapped I'd buy it, played the free beta and loved it. Game was a perfect blend of titan fall and cod. Game played very well, smooth fun and no issues, no reason why it shouldnt sell well.

I think it's a little different than that. In my opinion, popular games are like political parties. We all like certain mainstream games, and look down upon gamers who like mainstream games that are not the ones we ourselves like. It's like thinking the other political party is stupid and full of idiotic followers. Mainstream games are cliques. There's more than just one.

I think that has to do with how they review games. They review 95% based on the single player experience which has been a bore-fest since COD4-MW. However, that isn't what people play. They play multiplayer which is fun as bloody hell and something that all COD games have mastered. Its not as "realistic" as some other franchises, but its alot funner than any IMO.

Battlefield 4 called he said levolution and suppression want to have a word with you.

People love the COD series because it has the core game play down-pat! It is super fun... The thing people hate is the bugs and the poor network code and general lack of quality after COD4:MW.

Just look up OvenBakedMuffin on the 'Tubes for some thorough testing and analysis of all the shit that COD dev's have put out since the COD4 blew everyone away. It was the one game that got me interested in playing FPS's since i stopped after the Quake 2/3A/BF2 days.

I'm still not super excited about the space-aged crap that BLOPS has and the last AW. To me... what would really smash it out of the park would be a massive through back that contains the best of the best... Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 5 None Fucked Code Edition. Bring a new SP that does away with ridiculous and cheap tatics that fake difficulty (like if you clear a room.. ppl respawn again). But make the MP massive... as in.. do it RIGHT! Old school PC style. All out of the gate.. mod support. User level creator support. Dedicated servers done right (not just words put in a marketing sheet). All DLC free or GTFO. Include all the levels from COD4/MW2/MW3. All the guns. All the good stuff. 25 prestige out of the gate, but also make prestigng actually worth it once you get to the end. Actually ban the cheaters and score padders. Make sure you can vote to kick retards. Bing back hardcore that is actually hardcore and you can kill your team mates. Proper functioning network code and lag compensation that isnt fucked (see you tube user listed above for MW3 network code fail). The list goes on so that is just to name a few things that'd make it a smash hit and it'd easily be a 3 or 4 year playable game i dont care if it cost 150$. One last thing also...

Take out last stand. FFS. (or in the very least.. the fraction of a second that the laststander has of invinciblity once they drop, and give the kill to the guy that dropped them into last stand while we're at it).

Thank You Come Again. :D

Its no different than battle field.

But yeah, I know a few people that have bought every Call of Duty game and complain about the direction of the series so have stuck with black ops 2.

Even looking at the number of people playing the game on the console side. Normally black ops 2 will have about 80K+, log into ghost on the 360 and might have about 11K, on xbox one about 7k. Don't own AW so can't comment on that. But it has been obvious that players haven't wanted to move away from black ops 2 or black ops 1 as I want to say I heard last week that game still has the highest number of players out of any of the cod games right now.

I've liked the few CoD games I've played. They've been easy in that I've never had to run to any walkthroughs or playthroughs to get unstuck. There's an element of hand-holding in CoD. Plus the games have looked decent. I would have played more games but they are overpriced for my interest level. The games also give me enough cornball "Go! Go! Go!" stuff that I can only play CoD every couple of years. The games remind me of "Game of Thrones". The series is Bob Guccione's "Caligula" with BBC accents and beautiful sets. Its all well made junk thats easy to consume and not without its merits.

This is one of the best COD games in a long time. As other's have said it adds enough new stuff for people to give it a try.

Every since the original first two Call of Duty games, I have been disappointing. The first one had an amazing single player campaign (one of the first games to use surround sound very well and actually added to the game play). Since then, I have only picked them up for multiplayer and I just do not sync well with them. They have all felt the same and there are games out there that I have much more fun playing. I purchased the last version of the game (I do not even try to remember the names anymore), gave it an honest try for about a month, finally went back to Battlefield because I felt it was crazy for me to make myself sit there and try to enjoy the game.

Back