Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War 2020

They lost a year of Dev time bc activision had to shuffle studio release cycle.
I guess Sledgehammers build was that bad.
I’m thinking I should ignore CoD until they can get builds to a better state.

I’m still getting hard crashes today after cleaning out game files and rolling driver back.

I can't play at all.
Tried all the fixes, guess I'll wait.
Nothing like a constant hard crash power cycle wash rinse repeat.

View attachment 289824

Get something similar.

Loosing a year of dev times makes sense. BO4 came out prior to MW 2019. Consider BO is a Treyarch series it should have come out 2021. Sounds like they rushed it and swapped main studios. Clearly, they need 3 years of development time. Might explain some of the animations.

Edit: Got in and tried it. Sounds and animations are a good bit worse. At the end of the game when it goes into slow motion shoot your gun. Even the movement under recoil just looks old. Doesn't seem like you can select your fire mode either, so the M16 is stuck on burst. And it has a 20 round mag that holds 30 rounds (lol?). Throwing grenades just looks and feels odd. MW grenades are stupidly bouncy but this is even worse. Looks like 3D / picture in picture scopes was dropped to. Was impressive to finally see a mainstream game adopt it, but now this game no longer has it? Another step back feature wise.

I'll try it some more, but it just seems like too much of a downgrade.

Last edited:
Maybe my standards have lowered over the years. Game looks good and is fun. I love the 80’s setting. It’s standard COD fare though so if you don’t like the typical formula you probably won’t like this. I might get it, the only reason I’m hesitating is November is packed with game releases and I have limited time to play.

Get something similar.

Loosing a year of dev times makes sense. BO4 came out prior to MW 2019. Consider BO is a Treyarch series it should have come out 2021. Sounds like they rushed it and swapped main studios. Clearly, they need 3 years of development time. Might explain some of the animations.

Edit: Got in and tried it. Sounds and animations are a good bit worse. At the end of the game when it goes into slow motion shoot your gun. Even the movement under recoil just looks old. Doesn't seem like you can select your fire mode either, so the M16 is stuck on burst. And it has a 20 round mag that holds 30 rounds (lol?). Throwing grenades just looks and feels odd. MW grenades are stupidly bouncy but this is even worse. Looks like 3D / picture in picture scopes was dropped to. Was impressive to finally see a mainstream game adopt it, but now this game no longer has it? Another step back feature wise.

I'll try it some more, but it just seems like too much of a downgrade.

I worked on game POCs where we reskinned a previous build just to show to product directors.

Kinda like shooting 12 diff scenes for an ad, TV show, or movie just to get options they want to discuss.

What I've watched of this beta so far seems a lot like "watch/play this, you get the drift, if we want to fill these soft phases with a specific hard direction let's revisit the cuts you like with your changes at *** date."

Game Needs a bit of tweaking and it'll be good to go. graphics look and run fine. as some mentioned earlier they need to tweak the movement and feel. MW has set the standard and Treyarch needs to meet it in their own way. but it's not there yet. It did crash to menu out of a match last night. But it's early we'll see how this handles and feels on the 13th.

I went ahead and picked this up since Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed. This and Assassins Creed Valhalla will keep me occupied until Cyberpunk releases.

Not surprisingly, the severs are not equipped to handle the launch day load. Same thing happened last year with Modern Warfare.

Not surprisingly, the severs are not equipped to handle the launch day load. Same thing happened last year with Modern Warfare.

Yup! I was trippin balls lol. They cant ever figure this shit out.

fucking billion dollar company, can’t figure this out

Multiplayer is always a complete shit show for up to a week for new COD releases for as long as I can remember...

I picked this game up specifically for the single player. Hopefully I can enjoy that...

Campaign runs like dog shit for me on ultrawide 1440p with a 3080, 457.30 drivers. Turning off ray tracing helped, but I'm seeing others with good performance results, so that's annoying.

Got the game for free w/my 3080 Strix and I don't get all the praise for it? MP feels like a step back from MW and I felt like I was playing a game from 2014-2015. Yep, after I get my fill of the SP + Zombies, this game will collect dust and only be used to level guns for Warzone (too bad they integrated this garbage into Warzone).

Campaign runs like dog shit for me on ultrawide 1440p with a 3080, 457.30 drivers. Turning off ray tracing helped, but I'm seeing others with good performance results, so that's annoying.
Using DLSS? I’m running everything max, except SSR Low and Shadows High with Quality DLSS at 4K and no problem holding 60. With Ray Tracing it’s a bit tougher and even with Performance DLSS it can drop a bit lower at times.

Looked into changing the video memory target setting via config.ini, that seemed to help a bit. Bounces between decently smooth and slowdowns a bit. DLSS either balanaced or performance.

Got the game for free w/my 3080 Strix and I don't get all the praise for it? MP feels like a step back from MW and I felt like I was playing a game from 2014-2015. Yep, after I get my fill of the SP + Zombies, this game will collect dust and only be used to level guns for Warzone (too bad they integrated this garbage into Warzone).
I'm there with you on this.

However, I will say, I'm digging the larger playlist modes - basically a rush mode from Battlefield.

I knew the game was trash during beta testing and the final release stayed that way. Treyarch should be removed as a lead studio and IW be given back the entire Call of Duty series as they started it and obviously do a much better job.

I knew the game was trash during beta testing and the final release stayed that way. Treyarch should be removed as a lead studio and IW be given back the entire Call of Duty series as they started it and obviously do a much better job.

Treyarch didn't get the full time to develop this, Sledgehammer shit the bed and they brought Treyarch in to try and clean up the mess.

There’s something wrong with both IW and 3arc if I have to ddu files to play Warzone.
I couldn’t even get the Cold War beta to run.
Simple cleanliness of build dependencies seems to be slipping.

Treyarch didn't get the full time to develop this, Sledgehammer shit the bed and they brought Treyarch in to try and clean up the mess.

This is and was Treyarchs project and specifically Vonderhaars baby. The failure is all theirs, not a sub studio.

This is and was Treyarchs project and specifically Vonderhaars baby. The failure is all theirs, not a sub studio.
I don’t know what to tell you, Black Ops 2 was the last good CoD. Everything since has had shit map design and shit gameplay.

I don’t know what to tell you, Black Ops 2 was the last good CoD. Everything since has had shit map design and shit gameplay.
Hm, I thought the original cod modern warfare was. I tried black Ops 1 and hated it... Got steam to refund it back then it was so bad.

Hm, I thought the original cod modern warfare was. I tried black Ops 1 and hated it... Got steam to refund it back then it was so bad.
Black ops 1 had a good single player, the multiplayer was pretty meh. Black ops 2 had a great multiplayer. Good maps, good guns and good perks. It’s the last one that I really enjoyed and played a ton of, I think I have 400 or 500 hours on that one.

Just bought this last night on my Xbox series X, was very happy to see I could pick and choose portions of the game to keep. Install is now only 50ish GB with the HD textures and ray tracing thanks to not being forced to download the campaign and junk.

Also got the game for 30% off thanks to built up credit from a store lol

Back