call of duty 4 beta?

jester1176

[H]ard|Gawd
anyone else get into this?

downloaded it last night, but hope to play it this weekend.

I just got my email this morning and will download it tonight. Supposedly everyone who registered during that "24 hour" period will receive a token eventually.

Been playing it for the last 7-8 days... it rocks and I will promptly uninstall BF2 once it's out for PC, as well as buy it for the 360.

Roommate and I have had it since the email lottery they did, very good game so far, though hoping they up the level cap so we can play with a few of the other weapons/perks. For our xbox live group though, this will definitely replace our vegas sessions

I applied but still havent got my email. Im hopping I get it soon. I have a friend who got in and from what he has been teling me it is very good.

I just got in last night and downloaded/played it for an hour or two.

Granted its a fun game, but it's COD3 with a skin pack and slightly worse visuals.

The lighting feels like a game from a few years ago (no real change in lighting from map to map or places in the map, looks like it has a "world light" and the shadows are just tacked on), the grenade sounds and the indicator are the exact same as previous COD's. I'm not saying its a terrible game, but its definitely not a "halo 3 killer" as some places have said it would be.

I just got in last night and downloaded/played it for an hour or two.

Granted its a fun game, but it's COD3 with a skin pack and slightly worse visuals.

The lighting feels like a game from a few years ago (no real change in lighting from map to map or places in the map, looks like it has a "world light" and the shadows are just tacked on), the grenade sounds and the indicator are the exact same as previous COD's. I'm not saying its a terrible game, but its definitely not a "halo 3 killer" as some places have said it would be.

It's a beta right? A multiplayer beta?

Don't most games have some reduced detail in MP mode?

I'm more interested in how the gameplay stacks up, more than I am the shadowing. I see people playing it on my friends list for hours on end. I've heard from others here and around that it's a ton of fun, and that the weapons upgrades and different powers/skills/abilities you gain as you rank up are a blast.

So, the graphics aren't your fancy? Hows the gameplay?

And I agree with the poster above. COD3 was shit. I played it, but it was definitely not the same caliber as COD/COD2. I'm hoping this one brings it back

call of duty 3 wasn't even made by the same people who are made/making call of duty 1 2 and 4 so yeah you are dead wrong that it is just a skin.

call of duty 3 wasn't even made by the same people who are made/making call of duty 1 2 and 4 so yeah you are dead wrong that it is just a skin.

I was being sarcastic, lighten the hell up...I know its made by a different developer :rolleyes:

The gameplay is great.

I was just commenting on the visuals because of the *multiple* online review sites are praising the graphics which are nothing to brag about IMHO

I got my token yesterday and have played it a little bit yesterday and today. Its fun but nothing incredible. It looks alright (just like most other betas) and the gameplay is enjoyable. It didn't grab me in as much as the Halo 3 Beta did, but I am still going to buy COD4, just not on the first day.

I've been playing it for about 4 hours. I personally find it addictive as all get out.

I really like the Ranking system, and the way they dole out upgrades and skills. The gameplay feels like Halo 2 meets Counterstrike. It's very fast paced, and the rounds slide by very fast. Team Deathmatch is a blast. Domination is a capture the control points gametype, and OpFor is where you go and plant a bomb, or defend a target.

I like the rewards you get for killing sprees; calling in airstrikes, UAV's and Helicopters are some rewards.

I hope that the sound effects are only placeholders for some of the weapons. The grenade sound is the same ol' tink-tink from as far back as I can remember. That really has to be my main complaint, and not a big one at that.

I think the graphics are great, the beta definitely isn't showcasing anything wonderous at this point, but there are no disappointments. Textures are crisp, architecture is varied and complex, and light sourcing is much improved. You can now see people coming around corners and into doorways if there is a light source behind them. They've also improved foliage and your ability to blend into it nicely. The smoke effects are much improved.

Most importantly it is a blast to play, and the lobby system works great. We had a group of very fun people playing, no shit talking, and lots of laughter.

'Last Stand' is a great and often times hilarious addition to the game play, and my favorite, since I die... A lot.

i signed up with my accual live email but the account got messed up someone in their database when their server crashed. I got signed up again with my GT but not the email i use for it now. I have the green star though on their site but no token. My friend got in at work who signed up after me and has been playing it.

Guess its time to beat overlord while im waiting.

I have it.

It's ok I guess, but every server has one or two campers that will camp from a distance without even a sniper and shoot you down when you pass hallways. It's very annoying, I can't stand it

I probably put about 12 hours into it this weekend, and I absolutely love it. I'm actually looking forward to it more than halo3. I think the graphics look great, I'd say at least 30% increase from cod2. Now I love COD2 and play it just about every weekend, and this "feels" almost exactly like cod2.. the graphics have improved, though and the addition of challenges, being able to pick your own class w/ what ever weapons you want, being able to sprint etc. really make this a must have title for me. That's my impression from only 3 maps and half the weapons being available. I can't wait to see what the single player campaign is like, too. If you were a fan of cod2 I think you will love this game.

I have it.

It's ok I guess, but every server has one or two campers that will camp from a distance without even a sniper and shoot you down when you pass hallways. It's very annoying, I can't stand it
You've never played Call of Duty before, have you.

A team would be stupid not to have defenders planted in low visibility spots.

This isn't Halo or Quake 3.

CoD 4 looks amazing. graphics are spot on, enviroment detail is fantastic.

the weapons feel *right." modifications actually make a difference that you can feel.

it's going to be one of the best games this season, hands down.

CoD 4 looks amazing. graphics are spot on, enviroment detail is fantastic.

the weapons feel *right." modifications actually make a difference that you can feel.

it's going to be one of the best games this season, hands down.

I could not agree more. This game is alot of fun to play. The graphics are especially awesome when a flashbang or grenade go off nearby you. The movement and vision react perfectly to the blast.

I can't wait for the retail version to come out. :D

You've never played Call of Duty before, have you.

A team would be stupid not to have defenders planted in low visibility spots.

This isn't Halo or Quake 3.

Not online, no..
While CoD2 may feel more "camping"
CoD4 feels more fast paced and a reflex type of game.. which is why those campers are annoying

I guess what I'm trying to say and the reason I'm with serious gripes with campers, is that I just want to do my objective, kill the other team. I run around, usually near team mates, trying to find other people. yet there are always those pricks that stand in a far away corner, zoomed into a doorway, behind a crapload of pillars, and just one shot pass-byers... it's stupid and it's not how it was meant to be played

I guess what I'm trying to say and the reason I'm with serious gripes with campers, is that I just want to do my objective, kill the other team. I run around, usually near team mates, trying to find other people. yet there are always those pricks that stand in a far away corner, zoomed into a doorway, behind a crapload of pillars, and just one shot pass-byers... it's stupid and it's not how it was meant to be played
Well, for one thing, more often than not the objective is not to kill other characters. It's to gain control of/hold a position, destroy an object, or defend an object for a certain amount of time.

As far as "camping" goes, Call of Duty is more of a military simulator than, say, Counterstrike or Halo. To that end, players generally encourage each other to adopt the most effective tactics. This includes "camping" a low visibility spot. To most COD players, "camping" is a term to laugh at.

It *is* how COD is meant to be IMO. If you go running around a map, don't be surprised when a hidden player kills you. You wouldn't go running around a live battlefield and get pissed off when a pair of guys hiding in a darkened building shoot you in the street.

COD is meant to be a game incorporating somewhat realistic tactics, not run and gun wild melee Halo-style action. Many COD and COD2 servers even go to great lengths to create and implement custom mods to further enhance the realism of the experience.

I think that COD may just not be the game for the way you want to play. COD has always encouraged "camping" as a valid tactic.

I believe the signups are closed. Anyone sign up and still not get their Token. I made it in around 7pm that night and still havent seen my download token.

Huh?
COD is like the ANTI-camper game. Simply because of the Kill Cam showing you exacly where the person shot you from.

if you camp in any game you're screwed...(maybe not counterstrike). i thought cod2 was pretty fast paced :confused: sometimes i fire up ut2004, quake 3, and cod2.

The kill cam doesn't make any difference in a lot of the game types. Good snipers know to relocate anyway.

The action on a lot of these gametypes is very fast and furious, more so than any of the other COD's I've played. The maps are very well designed so that on the search and destroy/domination maps, if you camp one objective the whole time your team is going to lose, because the other team will be all over the other objectives.

It is ridiculously hard to get a beta token, and everywhere I look are people begging for them. I really wish they'd open this beta up to more people! If anyone runs across an unused code, I would be eternally grateful, and could probably give you something back in return.

I am dying to play this game!

I don't know why most posters on this thread are talking about how amazing the graphics are. The game does run very smoothly. I mean it looks like it might actually be 60fps which is great for any console game. COD 3 had several hicups on different maps where the fps would drop quite a bit. COD 2 also ran very smoothly so I'm not suprised that the same developers have taken that much time to tweak the code to make this COD 4 run as good as COD 2 does. The graphics in COD 4, while not terrible, are nothing compared to say, Gears of War or Bioshock. The graphics in COD 4 are a bit grainy and look to be lacking in any type of AA or AF. Really sharp edges. Kinda reminds me of how poor the graphics of RB6 are on the 360 version. The graphics on the PC version, while requiring a beast of a system to max out completely, look tons better with the fog effects and other things that make it look nice. COD 4 just looks like it's not done yet. Which is how it SHOULD look since it's a beta. If they bump up the graphics quality in the full version and are still able to have this game run at the steady fps that I enjoy in the beta, it will look amazing at that point. But the beta does not. If you think these graphics in the beta look amazing, you are not a PC gamer or the last console you played was Sega Genesis.
That having been said, I really enjoy the gameplay in COD 4 alot more than COD 3. I actually found COD 3 to be alot of fun especially in team games where you have the tanks and whatnot. I also enjoyed sniping people off of jeeps and motorcycles. CTF is always a ton of fun. Don't get me wrong. I'm a long time devoted COD 2 player on the PC. COD 3 had different gameplay and that was fun/different to me and I enjoy it. I also enjoy most of the maps in COD 3. I enjoy the maps in COD 4 beta as well.
I enjoy the hell out of calling in air strikes and friendly helicopters and shooting down enemy helicopters wth my RPG. I got to the max level 16 in the beta the first day I played it. Downloaded it in the morning, played until early evening. Took some video as well. I have one posted on http://www.youtube.com/ub3rn00berer
I had another video where the map started (on Crash) and I was 15-0 before finally being killed by an enemy chopper. You don't see that in the video though cuz I edited it out..hehe. However, I was unable to upload it to youtube for some reason. I'll try again tonight.
I enjoy using the modern weapons in COD 4 and I enjoy being able unlock the upgrades and whatnot. I look forward to a complete weapons list for COD 4 in the full version. I can hardly wait. I'll most likely play COD 4 more than I play Halo 3 though I will buy both. i was never a huge Halo 2 player to begin with. I doubt I'll be a huge Halo 3 player either. I could be wrong...

Careful putting videos of it up. Some people got banned for youtubing videos on the beta.

I like the beta. I dont think the graphics are bad, it looks really good. Its fast paced action. I call out team info a lot so most probably think i talk too much.

I will be buying this game.

How do you guys like it?

Its really good. My only complaint so far is that ive been accendentally killed twice. I watched the kill cam and somone was shoting at someone else and I happened to be behind a wall and got hit.

Other than that its really fast and really fun.

Huh?
COD is like the ANTI-camper game. Simply because of the Kill Cam showing you exacly where the person shot you from.

There are some excellent mods, such as WRM, that greatly enhance the realism of the game. Some mods included in WRM include greater weapon lethality, a dramatic slowdown of running speed, limited running ability, removal of the "zoom" effect when sighting down the barrel of your weapon, removal of crosshairs, teamkilling turned on, no death notifications, no ability to look at the score and determine who has been killed, inability to hop repeatedly, and the removal of the "kill cam."

Makes the game much more enjoyable IMO.

Careful putting videos of it up. Some people got banned for youtubing videos on the beta.

I like the beta. I dont think the graphics are bad, it looks really good. Its fast paced action. I call out team info a lot so most probably think i talk too much.

I will be buying this game.

you should be fine putting videos up now. Those of us that were in the friends and family portion of the Beta before the general public were bound by an NDA until it went public. None of the official emails from GameSpot or Infinity Ward have this NDA attached to them anymore.

Back