Call of Duty 2 Crashes/Freezes During Loading

tok3n

n00b
I'm not sure where this post should go so I hope I posted it in the right area. If not, please move it.

I've recently installed Call of Duty 2 on my new pc and have got nothing but problems. My system is:
AMD 4800+ Dual Core
Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe mobo
2024 mb pc3200 ram
wd raptor 74 gig hd
2x nvidia geforce 7800 gtx cards in sli (81.95 version drivers)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
pc power and cooling 1kw psu

so my system should be up to the task to run the game but I still have crashes all the time.

I installed the game from the 6 cds, not dvd edition, and started playing with the game version at 1.0 - I first changed my video settings to in game 1024 x 768 with 4x AA, 85 hz refresh rate, optimized for sli mode option on - can't remember the rest - I changed the sound settings to 44hz high quality, it was defaulted to this, and sound blaster 3aex or whatever the option is called.

I proceeded to start a new game with 2nd to hardest difficulty setting and it started loading - first the in game cinematics worked fine - showing old footage of ww2 video - when it tried to load the actual game map, the first training mission, it would get about halfway on the loading bar and crash/freeze - after about 5 mins of no activity I got a blue screen error - something about being stuck in an infinite loop and I had to manually reset my pc using the front button.

After rebooting and shutting down again just in case, I turned on my pc, started cod2 and was told the game had not been shutdown properly and recommended I choose safe mode which would lower my video settings - I did that, turned off the game again just in case, started cod2 again, and choose optimize graphic settings - then I manually changed the only option that differed from my original settings back on, the optimize for sli settings - the I redid my sound settings which I think were already set and started a new game - again the cinematics loaded but this time the first training mission loaded also - I was able to play it just fine until the very end when it finished and a new mission was loading which crashed halfway through the loading bar like last time.

This time I did not get a blue screen but after about 5 mins of no activity, the loading screen whent black, I could see soem white lines and I got some random errors - something like video drivers or directx error - my screensize was put into a tiny resolution cuz the messages were huge. I restarted my pc, turned it off again in case, and turned it back on - I started cod2 again, going into the safe mode, closed cod2, started cod2 and changing my video settings to optimal graphic settings again but this time did not turn on the option of optimized for sli. I choose resume mission and it loaded where my last mission was saved, which was right at the end of the first mission, it loaded and automatically went into the loading screen of the next mission after being on the game map for 1 second - but I crashed again, half way through the loading screen like last time - this time after 5 mins of inactivity, I was bumped to the desktop with some window display driver errors stopped responding or something and was told I needed to restart my pc - I also got what looked like the cod2 game console, looked like hold q3 thing, with an error in the console text - I just x'd out of that. I could do that normally this time and shutdown and restarted - this time running cod2, I did not have to go into safe mode.

Next day I called tech support who wasn't a lot of help - he said I was running my windows desktop size too high - I normally run it at 1600x1200 with 85hz and he made me bring it down to 1024x768 at 60hz - he also had me hide all microsoft services and disable all that was left which was only some nvidia thing - we then tried to run the game but it crashed like the last time but after 5min of no activity, I didn't get an error, it just crashed into a black screen with soem white lines- finally he asked what cpu I had, I told him and he said ahh - I should get the 1.01 dual core patch which he emailed me the link to - After restarting, I reset my display resolution back to 1600x1200 at 85 hz and re checked the nvidia program service that the tech guy wanted me to disable, and then I set my cod 2 game graphics to optimize graphics, I checked out the link he had but to double check, I visited the activision support page and found the direct link and read it - I installed the patch but even with the patch, I crashed like before, this time after 5 mins of inactivity the screen went black with some white lines then into a small resolution and gave me this error: Windows Display Driver Stopped Responding - The NV4_disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft. with an ok button that I pressed and did nothing but crash - I had to manually restart my pc with the front restart button and never got that dialog to upload the failure to ms after rebooting.

Just to make sure, I installed the dvd edition of Quake 4 on my system and it worked flawlessly from what I can tell - I didn't check frames per second but it ran smoothly, both single and multiplayer.

Can anyone tell me what is going on - this is really frustrating.

is there a patch for it or did you install it already, i dont know how to fix your problem it was quirky for me playing the demo on a system a fraction of the power yours has.

I had the same problem, could not even get the first training map to load, but I used the cheat codes and just loaded the maps. so far all the maps play except demolition and another russian one.
ps. I did install the patch also

The patch wouldn't make a difference, as it is optimized for Intel chips.

It sounds like a driver issue. Did you try (re)installing the lasted nVidia drivers? Is SLI turned on and working correctly?

The drivers seem to be working fine as I have no problems with games like quake 4. This is really frustrating - hey modsquad - what kind of errors did you get? What system specs do you have?

Can you get to the options screen?

I just went through some freezing/rebooting problems with COD2 and I think I have them sorted out. I have played for about an hour today and got no freezes or reboots.

I changed my audio setting to the Miles 2D blah blah blah setting, and it seemed to have made all the difference in the world.

I tried updating my video drivers, dropping back my overclock on my processor, changing my RAM timings, watching my 12V rail with a digital multimeter, you name it. Change the audio settings, and boom, everything seems to be running fine since.

There is a pretty big thread at Infinity Ward's forums about COD2 locking, freezing, rebooting, etc. I am convinced that a lot of bugs are software related with this game.

Back