Call me crazy... But I need some help.

Muir

Limp Gawd
I have recently installled Gentoo Linux and have been trying to move away from winXP. So far soo good. Gentoo is installed. Runnin Gaim, Open Office, kbear ftp... etc...

The only problem I have ran into deals with my KVM switch which is USB. Everything is working fine until I do a lot of switching back and forth between my winxp boxes and my linux box. After an unspecified # of switching back and forth my USB mouse and keyboard stop responding on Linux. They werk just fine on my XP machines. It is as if the Linux box is holding onto the old USB addresses and not releasing them. I am at a loss what to do. The workaround is relatively easy as all I have to do is reboot. But that is a pain in the arse when you are in the middle of something.

Any help is welcome. And thanks in advance!

well, the only suggestion i found on the gentoo forums was to use Ctrl+Alt+F(n) where n is any number other than 7. then just switch back into X by pressing Alt+F7.
btw that only works on the 2.4 kernel, for some reason 2.6 still fails. i'm gonna go out on a limb as say you have a belkin? almost all the problems reported on gentoo forums were with belkin hardware.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately Both my keyboard and mouse are via the USB plug supplied by the KVM switch.

i'm gonna go out on a limb as say you have a belkin?
Actually, it is an IOGear MiniView 4 port USB-KVM switch. I have some Belkin stuff here at work and I think their products are just garbage. :D

I guess the only real workaround is to leave the PS/2 Keyboard hooked up for emergencies. I will just have to suck it up. :)

Back