California Tightens Background Checks On Uber, Lyft Drivers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, I didn't know background checks for Uber and Lyft drivers in California didn't go back more than seven years. Well, thanks to the recent rash of assaults on passengers by drivers, the law has been changed to allow background checks that go all the way back to the day you were born. :eek:

Uber, Lyft and other ride-hailing companies will now be required to give their drivers stricter background checks in California. Governor Jerry Brown signed legislation Wednesday forbidding ride-hailing companies from hiring drivers with any violent felony convictions; previously background checks went back just seven years.

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Good. Uber will spend 10s of millions to lobby against it.

This is why these guys are not profitable.

The California Democrats consider someone with a violent felony in his distant past ineligible to drive for taxi-like companies, but perfectly eligible to vote for Democrats, multiple times per candidate each election, even if the felon's dead.

D

Deleted member 88301

Any time you have humans interacting with humans you're going to have crime.

cptnjarhead

Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup
Thats awesome! Now i know how to solve the issue of all these unvetted Syrian refugees being let in this country. Have them sign up to be an Uber driver, at least Uber cares about background checks.

Cyraxx

Supreme [H]ardness
The California Democrats consider someone with a violent felony in his distant past ineligible to drive for taxi-like companies, but perfectly eligible to vote for Democrats, multiple times per candidate each election, even if the felon's dead.

My thoughts as well. Liberals like to tout giving people a second chance, not putting them in prison for life because maybe they will learn their lesson, get a job, and be successful afterwards.... In yet, they enact stuff like this? The hypocrisy is quite hilarious.

Best to grab some popcorn and laugh at them for contradicting themselves

My thoughts as well. Liberals like to tout giving people a second chance, not putting them in prison for life because maybe they will learn their lesson, get a job, and be successful afterwards.... In yet, they enact stuff like this? The hypocrisy is quite hilarious.

Best to grab some popcorn and laugh at them for contradicting themselves

I never understood that, either. If someone's paid his debt to society and completed his sentence, then he shouldn't face any societal restrictions apart from those made by people exercising their freedom of association. If an ex-convict is too dangerous to own a gun, drink a beer (or smoke cannabis in certain states), drive a taxi, or associate with other ex-convicts, then he's too dangerous to be released from prison in the first place.

pxc

Extremely [H]
The California Democrats consider someone with a violent felony in his distant past ineligible to drive for taxi-like companies
1) The bill passed the state legislature unanimously in the state senate, and 70-4 in the state assembly, both far above a veto-proof majority. Democrats and Republicans almost universally supported the bill.
2) Yes, a violent felony conviction disqualifies someone from many jobs that interact with the public, including drivers. In fact, in most states someone with a felony conviction can't even get a CDL.
4) Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services are exempt from normal rules and regulations*. They agree to special rules in lieu of those exemptions and failed to properly screen drivers.
3) Geezus Cheetos Christ, just because a bill passed in CA doesn't make it bad. Good luck getting a taxi driver job with a violent felony conviction. I'll wait for that... forever.

* that's the main reason those company don't operate nationwide: most states explicitly forbid those kinds of services unless they comply with laws governing drivers or taxis, or have laws granting them exemptions.

1) The bill passed the state legislature unanimously in the state senate, and 70-4 in the state assembly, both far above a veto-proof majority. Democrats and Republicans almost universally supported the bill.
2) Yes, a violent felony conviction disqualifies someone from many jobs that interact with the public, including drivers. In fact, in most states someone with a felony conviction can't even get a CDL.
4) Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services are exempt from normal rules and regulations*. They agree to special rules in lieu of those exemptions and failed to properly screen drivers.
3) Geezus Cheetos Christ, just because a bill passed in CA doesn't make it bad. Good luck getting a taxi driver job with a violent felony conviction. I'll wait for that... forever.

* that's the main reason those company don't operate nationwide: most states explicitly forbid those kinds of services unless they comply with laws governing drivers or taxis, or have laws granting them exemptions.

California's state senate has 40 seats, 26 of which belong to Democrats, and its 80 seat assembly has 52 Democrats, meaning that Democrats control 65% of each chamber of the state's legislature. They don't need a whole lot of Republicans (very few of which are conservative; Orange County as a conservative bastion is a distant memory) to sign on in order to have a veto-proof majority, and Jerry Brown is already on their side and thus much less likely to veto any bills issued by his fellow liberal California Democrats.

It is inconsistent for certain politicians to restore voting rights to violent felons but not other rights of citizenship. As I said, if someone's too dangerous to own a gun or drive a taxi, then he's too dangerous to be released from imprisonment.

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
Really, just let me see the credit score of the driver that is picking me up, and I can make my own decision.

Even police departments, at least in Texas, now require credit scores on applications because they have found a very direct link between someone's credit score and how trustworthy they are, and likewise there is a direct link between tendency towards criminal behavior and bad credit.

It may sound silly, but it works, and its easy and non-invasive to do.

pxc

Extremely [H]
California's state senate has 40 seats, 26 of which belong to Democrats, and its 80 seat assembly has 52 Democrats, meaning that Democrats control 65% of each chamber of the state's legislature.
I responded to your claim that it was "California democrats" supporting a bill blocking violent felons from Uber and similar driver jobs (which is a good idea), when in fact it had near unanimous support by both democrats and republicans passing it in the legislature. Can I assume you're conceding that point since you're going off on a pointless tangent?

potency

Gawd
I responded to your claim that it was "California democrats" supporting a bill blocking violent felons from Uber and similar driver jobs (which is a good idea), when in fact it had near unanimous support by both democrats and republicans passing it in the legislature. Can I assume you're conceding that point since you're going off on a pointless tangent?

Your facts don't matter because leftist conspiracy bias media mind control.

Really, just let me see the credit score of the driver that is picking me up, and I can make my own decision.

Even police departments, at least in Texas, now require credit scores on applications because they have found a very direct link between someone's credit score and how trustworthy they are, and likewise there is a direct link between tendency towards criminal behavior and bad credit.

It may sound silly, but it works, and its easy and non-invasive to do.

My personal credit score is shit, but professionally, I'm pretty darn trustworthy.