California Passes Social Media Spying Bill

I have major issues with corporations making the farming community into their servants by using GMO's for leverage. It has corrupted more than a few farming practices.

I think we need to figure out a way to improve the science knowledge of people before we give them too much info ... Genetically Modified Organisms could do a lot of good (we have always done some of this in past through selective breeding of animals and creating plant bybrids) ... I think where we need to be careful and find better ways to study the impact are where we are creating hybrids that wouldn't normally be possible (combining plant and animal genes, gene splicing, etc) ... I think people have too many unfounded fears of science to just blindly give them information that they are not able to understand ... I think what we need are better rules on how to monitor the long term impact of the GMOs to insure that they don't have unforeseen side effects or difficulties

California is one of the only states that seems to be able to stem the tides of corporate and government invasions of privacy and other "profit before people" decisions. For instance, if you're a California voter, be SURE to vote YES on Prop 37 (GMO Labeling).

Well, it slices both ways. Pretty much everything is CA is labeled as cancer causing to the point of being totally pointless.

I've got a mug on my desk with a big scary sticker on the bottom. ZOMG, if I were to drink from this mug for a million years, or buy a thousand of them, grind them up and snort them like blow I MIGHT get the canzerorz. Or not.

I think we need to figure out a way to improve the science knowledge of people before we give them too much info ... Genetically Modified Organisms could do a lot of good (we have always done some of this in past through selective breeding of animals and creating plant bybrids) ... I think where we need to be careful and find better ways to study the impact are where we are creating hybrids that wouldn't normally be possible (combining plant and animal genes, gene splicing, etc) ... I think people have too many unfounded fears of science to just blindly give them information that they are not able to understand ... I think what we need are better rules on how to monitor the long term impact of the GMOs to insure that they don't have unforeseen side effects or difficulties

THIS. Use the Science Luke!

It doesn't help when you have bogus "studies" run by folks with an agenda scaring the fuck out of people. ZOMG we fed cancer prone lab rats a known carcinogen and GMO corn for their entire life and SHOCKER, some of them got the tumorz. Oh? Our control? A fraction of the sample size. What? Why are you laughing? We are SERIOUS PEOPLE.

Well, it slices both ways. Pretty much everything is CA is labeled as cancer causing to the point of being totally pointless.

I've got a mug on my desk with a big scary sticker on the bottom. ZOMG, if I were to drink from this mug for a million years, or buy a thousand of them, grind them up and snort them like blow I MIGHT get the canzerorz. Or not.

i think the state of CA causes cancer

Which is exactly why many people will vote for this bill. Because they want to have some idea of what is in the things they are eating.

Personally, I have no qualms about GMOs from a health standpoint (though I do have issues with growth hormones in meat and dairy but that's another topic). My problem is that we are tinkering with these plants without fully evaluating the environmental consequences, thinking that we can improve plants that have developed to coexist in a complex ecosystem over millions of years without any consequences for the health of that ecosystem. Maybe... but I have serious doubts.

bit late for that corn is totally dependent on us to reproduce and has been for at lest 2000 years
it may not have been in a lab but we have been messing with this stuff since the dawn of time

bit late for that corn is totally dependent on us to reproduce and has been for at lest 2000 years
it may not have been in a lab but we have been messing with this stuff since the dawn of time

Care to share the source of this propaganda?

Care to share the source of this propaganda?

not a study ... but this does explain the mechanism ... http://goodseedfarm.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=9813 ... looks like the hybrids that depend on humans for their pollination have only been used since the end of WWII

Humans have always engaged in creating hybrid animals since we first started animal husbandry ... we have bread turkeys that will drown in a rainstorm (but they are much fatter and juicier than their wild counterparts) ... we have bread dogs that have traits we find desirable but would die without us to feed and protect them

It is only more recently where we have recently begun creating new species of plants and animals through gene splicing that we are walking into dangerous territories ... I don't totally support the labeling because that can become a de facto ban ... at best it becomes like what we did for DDT (it was too dangerous for us to use but we could still manufacture it and sell it to other countries) ... at worst we kill off industries that might save millions of lives in the developing world or save billions of dollars in the developed world (with pest resistant and climate resistant crops) ... I think the GMO industry needs to be regulated and monitored but I am not convinced that labeling is the best or only way to do that ;)

even the open pollination types of corn need to be grown in close rows or pollination cant happen easily

California is one of the only states that seems to be able to stem the tides of corporate and government invasions of privacy and other "profit before people" decisions. For instance, if you're a California voter, be SURE to vote YES on Prop 37 (GMO Labeling).

I wish more states would make this mandatory, heck I hope it passes in CA

the way things are these days, I'm not sure some will see this is a too much regulation

California legalized medical Marijuana and they now have less crime and spend less related to it's legality issues, now they do this. Maybe I need to move back to California.

Back