California Lawmakers Pass Nation's Toughest Net Neutrality Law

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While its fate is still in the hands of Governor Jerry Brown, California’s Senate has voted on and approved a net neutrality bill that is being called the strongest in the nation. Not only doubling down but improving on previous measures, the legislation would protect consumers from being charged extra for access to websites and provide consistent speeds and quality for streaming services.

California’s laws have enormous influence across the country. Its higher standards for auto emissions, for example, have been followed by a dozen other states, giving California major sway over the auto industry. And the state’s online privacy law has prompted tech companies to promote a weaker federal law that would nullify any state laws. New York State is considering a net neutrality law that mirrors the California bill.

well done cali!
its still not going to keep me from moving out of state this year... but.... well done none the less!

This law is only happening because the rich assholes living in the hills surrounding the bay area are getting charged more for crappier internet service.

You want any law passed in Cali, you just get those rich old ladies' panties in a twist and they will rain holy hell from their hilltop.

Plastic bags have felt their wrath...

Plastic straws are next...

For the turtles!

For the turtles!

i-like-turtles.gif

A question for Network Neutrality supporters. Can you please provide a couple of examples of current ISP practices that would be stopped by implementing Network Neutrality. Maybe even just one? Hello?

Disclaimer: I didn't read on the matter nor do I live in US :)

Wouldn't it stop ISP to push to block state sponsored internet ? Or at least slow down monopoly ?

Yead, I should read on the matter but well... fyi I live in one of the biggest Canadian city and can't even get fiber while friends which are 100km from city can...

California is such a mess... Net neutrality isn't the fix!

Problem: Local and state governments created legislation that blocked the open competition of ISPs. In other works they fostered monopolies. Now, along comes net neutrality... A government fix to a problem created by government.

The correct fix to the problem of ISP monopolies is to fist pass a law that forbids the fostering of monopolies. Second, offer low cost loans to ISP startups.

Where I live, a new ISP has to get an issue on the ballot so the people can vote to allow them to compete in the market. (How stupid is that?) Could you imagine having to vote on grocery stores or gas stations... No... But with an ISP you have to.

The problem is ISP monopolies and until that is addressed things like net neutrality will not only not fix the problem. Also, the added regulation associated with net neutrality will likely make things worse.

A question for Network Neutrality supporters. Can you please provide a couple of examples of current ISP practices that would be stopped by implementing Network Neutrality. Maybe even just one? Hello?

its not about stopping what they ARE doing. its about preventing them from being able to do certain things to begin with.
i can just as easily start asking you if you are in favor of the absolute worst possible thing that could possibly happen without net neutrality rules. are they guaranteed to happen without such rules? no.... but lets not kid ourselves into pretending that given even the slightest chance, the largest ISPs would not screw their own grandmother over to make a couple extra bucks.

go look at GB and Europe.
its no in our currency but its $5 to get things like twitch streaming, $5 to get movie streams, $5 for about anything they can think of over your usual bill.
Its your right to be able to pay for what you pay for..you get internet sure, but it cost more to use it.
Remember the cancellation just happened...give them a while and you will pay to be able to connect.

go look at GB and Europe.
its no in our currency but its $5 to get things like twitch streaming, $5 to get movie streams, $5 for about anything they can think of over your usual bill.
Its your right to be able to pay for what you pay for..you get internet sure, but it cost more to use it.
Remember the cancellation just happened...give them a while and you will pay to be able to connect.

What nonsense are you talking about? It may be happening in GB, but that does not mean it is happening all across Europe. Don't generalize all of Europe because GB is going down the shitter. That's like saying California represents all of the US.

You do not get charged to access individual streams from your ISP. I use Telekom/T-mobile (TV, mobile, internet) in Germany and on mobile data they do not even count streaming (Netflix, Spotify etc) against your data usage.

The only thing idiotic here is getting charged for a couple of state owned radio/tv stations once or twice year (think forced donations to PBS).

The worse I have seen is some small "burner" type mobile companies will offer packages based on usage, like "social media" packages, but all of the ones I have seen offer a "full internet" type package.

One fact is that Europe in general has pretty consistently shitty mobile data coverage.

I live in the UK now. I just pay for broadband and mobile data.

No wierd stuff going on here. Yet.

Anything Jerry MoonBeam signs should be avoided like it was HIV.

sooooooooo.... your brand of politics is that it doesnt matter how good the legislation itself is..... you dont agree with the person that ultimately has to sign it in and that would, in and of itself, make it bad.

From my perspective, the issue isn't so much getting nickeled and dimed by ISPs, it's that a lack of net neutrality will allow ISPs to exclude certain services from bandwidth caps.

For instance, let's say that AT&T launches their own streaming service to compete against Netflix and that, unlike Netlix, this new streaming service doesn't count towards your bandwidth cap. People will naturally flock towards this new service provided it's comparable in terms of quality.

Basically, a lack of net neutrality creates an environment that could make it very difficult for content distributors, who don't also control the distribution network, to compete.

And before you say this won't happen, it's already being done: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/binge-on-streaming-video

Short term, this might seem great for consumers because you are technically GAINING something, but in the long run it will likely lead to more consolidation in an industry that is already severely lacking in diversity.

How's about this:

WHen I turn off VPN on my router, Youtube TV stutters on a regular basis. My internet is...Comcast. Could be modem or router, right? Nah. Turn on VPN, and suddenly Youtube TV is smooth (from California, because my end-point is a non-shared IP in Cali, which makes me wonder if that ISP that my VPN is getting its IP from might be treading lightly on the traffic shaping).

That's one example. I'm sure you're going to dismiss it, but I've spent enough time feeding the shills today. :)

sooooooooo.... your brand of politics is that it doesnt matter how good the legislation itself is..... you dont agree with the person that ultimately has to sign it in and that would, in and of itself, make it bad.

Ever heard of the boy that cried wolf?

Moonbeam is sinister to his core. If it appears good, sounds good, feels good, smells good, or taste good is toxic poisonous death when it comes to people like moonbeam. Eat your words when we see how hugely this is going to cost the people of Crapifornia. I wont Be eating my words.

Problem: Local and state governments created legislation that blocked the open competition of ISPs. In other works they fostered monopolies. Now, along comes net neutrality... A government fix to a problem created by government.
DING DING DING!

This is exactly how my part of town is solely owned by Xfinity/Comcast, while on the other side of the overpass they can get AT&T. Message from Verizon, "These services are not available in your area". No different than that bullet train we're still waiting on.

DING DING DING!

This is exactly how my part of town is solely owned by Xfinity/Comcast, while on the other side of the overpass they can get AT&T. Message from Verizon, "These services are not available in your area". No different than that bullet train we're still waiting on.
That is nothing new and it is so in many states.. so at least now they have minus one problem.

How's about this:

WHen I turn off VPN on my router, Youtube TV stutters on a regular basis. My internet is...Comcast. Could be modem or router, right? Nah. Turn on VPN, and suddenly Youtube TV is smooth (from California, because my end-point is a non-shared IP in Cali, which makes me wonder if that ISP that my VPN is getting its IP from might be treading lightly on the traffic shaping).

That's one example. I'm sure you're going to dismiss it, but I've spent enough time feeding the shills today. :)

I'm pretty sure ISP competition would be a better answer than more of California's craptastic regulation.

Ever heard of the boy that cried wolf?

Moonbeam is sinister to his core. If it appears good, sounds good, feels good, smells good, or taste good is toxic poisonous death when it comes to people like moonbeam. Eat your words when we see how hugely this is going to cost the people of Crapifornia. I wont Be eating my words.

you can try to spin it and justify it all you want. you're all about the person that is making the comments, not the comment itself.... its all good... tons of those kinds of people around these days... youre not alone there friend.

DING DING DING!

the regulatory capture we have now was because of the rules that were put in place to force ISPs to roll to areas that they did NOT want to service in the first place. Yes the ISPs took advantage of that, but no... its not their fault the rules are there and in fact they fought against those rules a lot.

I'm pretty sure ISP competition would be a better answer than more of California's craptastic regulation.
you are 100% correct but im pretty sure that goes for anywhere not just cali alone.

you can try to spin it and justify it all you want. you're all about the person that is making the comments, not the comment itself.... its all good... tons of those kinds of people around these days... youre not alone there friend.

Haha

You haven't any idea what he has done to Caliburnia have you?

I can't speak for him, but my brand of politics is that I don't trust consistently duplicitous assholes who have let their state become a haven for drug users to the point that they leave their drug needles stuck in trees at the local park, and actively tell their police to not serve the law when an illegal immigrant is the perpetrator of a crime, as well as turn their cities into third world countries.

I trust even less the people who defend such people.

Every sane person knows the guy who will tell you how wonderful everything is even as everything is going to hell in a handbasket around them. Where else would one think the "this is fine" meme came from? For me, an example would be like someone whose Apple computer was crashing right before my eyes all while they were in total denial of it crashing and telling me how much better than Windows it is, because it is stable. Yeah, that's happened before.

Sane people have a lot of problems with the way California is run right now.

when ass wipes who are scared that something might make their political side look bad leap to the defense of the indefensible, I tune out.

The correct fix to the problem of ISP monopolies is to fist pass a law that forbids the fostering of monopolies. Second, offer low cost loans to ISP startups.

Where I live, a new ISP has to get an issue on the ballot so the people can vote to allow them to compete in the market. (How stupid is that?) Could you imagine having to vote on grocery stores or gas stations... No... But with an ISP you have to.

The problem is ISP monopolies and until that is addressed things like net neutrality will not only not fix the problem. Also, the added regulation associated with net neutrality will likely make things worse.

Isn't that the problem all around America? I doubt that is california only problem. Competition in internet is a problem all over the U.S not just california. I would rather have this than nothing. Sorry just because ISP competition is lacking all over the country doesn't mean we should sit on our hands in net neutrality. In my town there is comcast and AT&T. I get 1000 down from both. But AT&T is just better and cheaper. I don't expect a local company to come up and get me a gig speed, when google had one hell of a time getting their build out done.

the regulatory capture we have now was because of the rules that were put in place to force ISPs to roll to areas that they did NOT want to service in the first place. Yes the ISPs took advantage of that, but no... its not their fault the rules are there and in fact they fought against those rules a lot.

you are 100% correct but im pretty sure that goes for anywhere not just cali alone.

When the law starts doing more harm than good, it's time to start repealing them or altering them to fit the new reality.

When the law starts doing more harm than good, it's time to start repealing them or altering them to fit the new reality.
Aaaannd a democracy should represent the interests of its people, and not only the interests of a moneyed few ( people and corporations). .. i think we are on to something! ... We are fixing everything right now! ... Suuure...
To quote Donald Rumsfeld: You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.

The text of this bill looks good to me. It looks like it would actually enact net neutrality as defined, unlike the FCC rules that were eliminated. What I don't like is how the term "nonharmful device" is constantly used and it's never defined. Now Californians just have to eliminate the regs that enable broadband monopolies.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB822
Thanks for posting that. It is surprisingly short, so discussions can be more easily had on the merits of the law, with less knee-jerk reactions than the FCC regulations.

I can't speak for him, but my brand of politics is that I don't trust consistently duplicitous assholes who have let their state become a haven for drug users to the point that they leave their drug needles stuck in trees at the local park, and actively tell their police to not serve the law when an illegal immigrant is the perpetrator of a crime, as well as turn their cities into third world countries.

I trust even less the people who defend such people.

Every sane person knows the guy who will tell you how wonderful everything is even as everything is going to hell in a handbasket around them. Where else would one think the "this is fine" meme came from? For me, an example would be like someone whose Apple computer was crashing right before my eyes all while they were in total denial of it crashing and telling me how much better than Windows it is, because it is stable. Yeah, that's happened before.

Sane people have a lot of problems with the way California is run right now.

when ass wipes who are scared that something might make their political side look bad leap to the defense of the indefensible, I tune out.

no one said to trust anyone here. the idea of trusting any politician is crazy on the face of it.
and yes, sane people have tons of problems with how things are in cali.... this is why i am leaving.
this is an understandable position.... the inability to separate the legislation from the person required to sign it into existence however, is not.

ive lived here for 40+ years.
I know exactly what he has done. did you want to add any facts or anything or just continue with the ad homenem?

then i invite you to avail yourself to the political process required to start the removal/repeal/alteration of them.
me? im just gonna leave and go elsewhere. (not because of this issue mind you, thats entirely because im tired of having a decent job but barely being able to scrape out a living).

Back