Calibrating Monitor Green/Yellows

mda

2[H]4U
Hi all, I have a new monitor.. an ASUS VG259Q - 1080p 144hz IPS

Im actually very happy with this monitor except for the fact that the greens and yellows appear too bright.

Not sure how to describe this, but its like greens on every other monitor look like light green on this monitor, and yellows appear pale yellow.

This wasnt apparent when testing individual colors on the dead pixel checker.

I tried adjusting saturation and the green on the monitor OSD but it only makes the screen get an either red or blue hue.

Is there any way other way to adjust this? Returning the monitor isnt an option at this point.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most likely your monitor has (bad) wide gamut. You can correct that if the monitor has CMYK colors controls. And by adjusting saturation. Those work in tandem, so saturation only is not enough, since it tones down or up all the colors at once, and by fixing yellow, it breaks other colors.

Unfortunately, monitor does not have CMYK. Only RGB settings. It does have saturation though. Anything I can do at this point? I'm fine using drivers to adjust this as well.

Will paying someone to calibrate the monitor work? Although I've heard some apps/games don't really use the monitor icc profile.

Thanks. I'd do that as a last resort because it's difficult looking for someone with a calibrating tool here (not USA based).

If that doesn't work out, then I guess it's not really a big problem

Attaching a pic of how the screen looks like on the Asus and all the other monitors I've tried (VA, IPS, no TN for me!)

Is this a manufacturing defect or something I could go to warranty with, just in case it pisses me off? :D

Or could I use something in the nvidia driver tools to artificially dull the greens and yellows, I'd have no problem with this, either!

Attachments

• AllOtherMonitors.JPG
    AllOtherMonitors.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • VG259Q.JPG
    VG259Q.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think it's just the way it displays those colors due to the wide color gamut. Can't really correct that if there are no CMYK controls or support for hardware calibration.

Technically, it's just a 72% NTSC monitor. Do you think this is a panel-specific issue or is can something this far off be a one off error?

Although at the store, the greens between the 3 monitors I viewed (1 had a stuck pixel, the other had a visible backlight from the edge of the display) looked pretty similar. Panel-specific I guess?

Yeah it might state 72% NTSC, but in reality the gamut may be all over the place. In this case it sticks out in greens and yellows. Or just yellow that drags other colors along outside the sRGB range. So much that it becomes that visible.
Most likely panel-specific, but who knows - maybe this particular model is broken.

Thanks for the info.

I'm inclined to keep the monitor anyway. Green icon apps and some webpages aside, I'm pretty happy with it.

Just use HDMI connection instead of DisplayPort and Green/Yellow saturation will be perfect 👍

Just use HDMI connection instead of DisplayPort and Green/Yellow saturation will be perfect 👍

Also make sure to place magnets at both ends of the HDMI cable so the 1s and 0s stay aligned. Binary data loss is the most common cause of duhsplay color not look gud.

Also, if you still want to use DisplayPort, just select YCbCr as pixel format instead of RGB and green saturation will be corrected

Back