Calibrated profile for NEC 2490 Wuxi

sonicboom

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I just received this monitor earlier this evening , and I was wondering if anyone else has a calibrated color profile for it. I didn't want to spend the extra $200 or so for the sv model, not sure if that was a mistake on my part or not., but I am curious to see if a correctly calibrated model would make much of a difference vs. the standard srgb factory setting.

I have the 2490 with the SV and there is a good difference from the standard factory calibration vs the SpectraView calibraton. If you doing photos work, it is a must, I got really nice print (wysiwyg) with my Epson R2400. For video color correction, I still have to see with a Matrox MXO what difference I will get.

Hey guys,

I just received this monitor earlier this evening , and I was wondering if anyone else has a calibrated color profile for it. I didn't want to spend the extra $200 or so for the sv model, not sure if that was a mistake on my part or not., but I am curious to see if a correctly calibrated model would make much of a difference vs. the standard srgb factory setting.

you cant use the color profile because if you use spectraview it calibrates the hardware LUT inside the monitor. spend the $$ on a colormeter and spectraview, it is made for the monitor to bring out its true potential.

One of the main features of this monitor is the ability to calibrate the internal LUT, if I buy one and spend that much on it, I will spend the extra to get SV package to make use of it, then the calibration will not depend on color aware applications, it will work for everything, even if you boot into Linux, it will still be calibrated.

Thank you for the timely replies everyone. The primary use for this monitor is dcc/cg, mostly 3d and some 2d work. I will be ordering the Spectraview bundle once I get home later on tonight.

I have the 2490 with the SV and there is a good difference from the standard factory calibration vs the SpectraView calibraton. If you doing photos work, it is a must, I got really nice print (wysiwyg) with my Epson R2400. For video color correction, I still have to see with a Matrox MXO what difference I will get.

Shadow669,
Could you profile your monitor using both of the two settings in spectraview II under icc profile primary color measurement "use colorimeter" and "use factory calibration". and save them under different names.

Could you then view a picture with a deep blue in a color managed app and switch between the two profiles to see if they remain identical? I notice when I use the colorimeter as the color source for the profile, some blues get a more purple tint. A full blue 0,0,255 rgb color swatch has slight purple tint when using the profile. If I go unprofiled it is a nice bright blue, if I use the "factory calibration" setting profile, there is a shift but it isn't so much into purple.

I have a feeling my colorimeter may be off. I wonder if there is a way to verify the colorimeter is working within spec. If you have no difference between the two settings at all, then definitely my colorimeter is off.

One of the main features of this monitor is the ability to calibrate the internal LUT, if I buy one and spend that much on it, I will spend the extra to get SV package to make use of it, then the calibration will not depend on color aware applications, it will work for everything, even if you boot into Linux, it will still be calibrated.

This is not completely true. You still need to use the generated profile and use color aware applications to get truly accurate colors. Color management is in two steps, calibration (which is what the LUT table modifications are) and profiling (which is using the generated ICC profile so color aware applications can map between the monitor and working color space) Calibration only deals with gamma curve, and brightness intervals between steps of each of the 3 primary colors. However, because no monitor matches the exact color gamut of sRGB, a conversion in color still must be made and the profile tells the app how to show the right color to you.

In spectraview II, you can look at the "information" screen and you'll see the monitor colorspace is off from the sRGB color space, this is especially evident in the blue and red corners. So if you take a color managed app that can quickly turn the color management on and off, and look at pictures that have deep blue and red, it is very obvious how much change there is, and the monitor red and blue don't match the sRGB red and blue.

The real advantage of the monitor hardware LUT based calibration is you don't lost any steps in the 0-255 ramp for each primary color. An appropriate value should be found in the 12bit LUT that will match to the required value. Without doing it in the monitor, you'll get patches of same values as the video card LUT is modified to get the closest match. So gradients will have slight banding if you modify the video card table while you'll get fine gradations if all mapping is done in the monitor hardware.

Back