Calibrate LCD worth it? How do you search?

GeminiCool

Weaksauce
Quick question... looking around at reviews it seems once calibrated most "good" displays will have very good color reproduction.

If looking for a gaming display, it's likely you'll be viewing head on 99% of the time. So viewing angle is a lesser factor.

Seems the most important factor is responce. So if you put out say, $80 on a Huey Pro, or $170 on the Eye One Display 2, can you focus on responce?

So I went to TFT Centrial, I've gone to Face to Face... Seems the smaller 19" & 20" LCDs were very good at not ghosting... it also seems most 24-27" LCDs are only ok... Has anyone found differently?

On a side note, how do you search these forums? :) Logged into search and still don't see any search option...

Thanx

calibrating does nothing for your response time if your are talking about ms timings.....?

a one eye display2 will give better results than a huey pro

bigger panels have more ghosting, i dont know why - it could be a bigger area to cover?

viewing angles/color on TN panels are bad to the point where i would never even consider buying one, stay far from them

Search is disabled, which sucks because I need some info on CRT calibration tools and perhaps Sony WinDAS myself!

sorry.. let me explain a little better.

I hear everyone talking TN stinks for color. I read the reviews and out of the box, it seems some are way off. However good brands like Samsung seem to have very good color after calibration, or am I missing something?

So, if you go TN and calibrate the color should be close to that of the IPS type panels, right? You will give up viewing angle.. but this is for gaming, so does that really matter.

Next big issue is ghosting... which TN seems to address best in this larger size.

So, TN + calibration = Good color and Good Game
IPS or other = Good color and so so gaming?
Price if the TN + Calibration is likely below IPS right?

Point is, everyone says what you said, TN color is worse than IPS. When I try to research, review sites say TN CALIBRATED, can be very good and that would be near equal that of IPS. So color becomes a mute point once calibrated. Can anyone verify this?

I hear everyone talking TN stinks for color. I read the reviews and out of the box, it seems some are way off. However good brands like Samsung seem to have very good color after calibration, or am I missing something?

So, if you go TN and calibrate the color should be close to that of the IPS type panels, right? You will give up viewing angle.. but this is for gaming, so does that really matter.

Next big issue is ghosting... which TN seems to address best in this larger size.

Point is, everyone says what you said, TN color is worse than IPS. When I try to research, review sites say TN CALIBRATED, can be very good and that would be near equal that of IPS. So color becomes a mute point once calibrated. Can anyone verify this?

LOL. No. TN will never be the same or close to an IPS, not even after calibration.

i'd have to say no, because most TN's are 6 bit panels and they cant reproduce the color range of IPS panels.

IPS monitors are pointed more towards the color accurate crowd. if you want to game more than anything else, then TN's are for you.

Back