Caliber Dev Calls Game Journalists Worthless Parasites Peddling Clickbait

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Russian developer Albert Zhiltsov, who currently serves as the producer for shooter game “Caliber,” is no fan of game journalists and did not mince words during a recent Twitch interview, calling them “worthless parasites; a bane on the gaming industry; pathetic, trash-peddling scrubs who need to put out to pasture for good.” Zhiltsov argues most know nothing about game development, and that their roles as reviewers have been usurped by streamers.

There are some that do agree that how he said what he said was inflammatory and caustic, but most also concede that gaming media is not very reliable nor as useful as they should be. The biggest issue is that many games journalists aren’t very knowledgeable about video games in general, or having barely a passing understanding of how games are developed, so their opinions are usually worth less than the people who buy and play games.

Cant say I disagree with him.
People like SkillUp and LaymenGaming, Jim Sterling(When he does reviews) etc have all rendered these "I played for like 5 hours in a 200 hour+ progression game and now want to talk about the end game I never saw" people obsolete. Skill up, for example, put 80 hours into Warframe before saying a word about it, there are a lot of better people out there now and these old relics need to go, haven't looked at one in like 6 years.

The best part is that Jim Sterling and those others you mentioned make a point of not calling themselves "Game Journalist".

They are perfectly grounded in that regard, unlike those in kotaku/polygon/ign/rps, publications that I used to follow until I couldn't stomach the sham "reviews" and constant click bait articles they peddled.

wasn't that common knowledge?

look at the only bad review of GTA V and tell me it was deserved.

i'll agree with him.
start following the paper trail to the top of the ladder, you'll see its no different than tv news media.. they own it all and will stop at nothing to bash and criticize 'goy' that own something so they can "fire you" and take it for themselves.

Headlines from "PUBG players ticked off at changes, here's why"

Source to literally 10 players on Reddit making a stink

to

"This Call of Duty game features something new, find out what here!"

/facepalm

Writing and journalism industry has gone to shit in general. The market is WAY over saturated.

They aren't video game journalists, they are political commentators and activists trying to masquerade as game journos.
It's not that they don't know much about games development, they don't understand video-games at all. And many of them don't even like games, they just think it is their civic duty to criticize and judge games based on their politics. And 'fix' toxic gamers.

I have never once used a game review, user or "journalist" to decide which games to buy. For me it's all word of mouth or fellow forum users recommendations.

I don't see what purpose they serve.

Looks like the guy caved and gave a partial apology after journalists threatened to boycott coverage until he was fired. Shame.
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...h-journalists-call-for-dev-to-be-fired/75344/

Thread title says "Caliber Dev." A quick search shows this as the website for the game.
https://caliber.ru/

Further searching reveals that the developer in question is actually one of the producers on the game.
But is it legit? A good game etc. or does he make trash all the time and is just whining

"Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about [censored] than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know."

Michael Crichton

I have never once used a game review, user or "journalist" to decide which games to buy. For me it's all word of mouth or fellow forum users recommendations.

I don't see what purpose they serve.

Ironically I have found reading comments on piracy sites insightful. No cheerleading or justifying their 250$ special edition.

I have the money and like to support great games rather then deal with questionable hacks and updates.

They aren't video game journalists, they are political commentators and activists trying to masquerade as game journos.
It's not that they don't know much about games development, they don't understand video-games at all. And many of them don't even like games, they just think it is their civic duty to criticize and judge games based on their politics. And 'fix' toxic gamers.

Also plenty game "journolist" are like say Christian rock artists. Many simply failed in preferred area and put on team "x" hat and took available work.

That's to say nothing of word vomit to meet quotas and deadlines.

Redlettermedia guys do a pitch perfect parody of this with their nerd crew series.

http://redlettermedia.com/the-nerd-crew/

I haven't read a review in at least decade. Don't care what some clueless n00b think about things they know nothing about. ShackNews was a great place until ~5 years or so. Things weren't always that bad, though. People used to talk about game play. God, I miss the cynical brit :(

LOL. I don't know how to build car from scratch but I sure as hell know when one sucks balls. This guys sounds butt-hurt and salty. Maybe his game sucks?

Its tough trying to find decent reviews on games. I kinda laugh at people claiming they don't reviews, ever *doubt*. If you watch Yahtzee or AngryJoe or whatever guys name is who rent, buy,pass is, you're *reading a review*. Regardless, like news or politics you kinda just have to pool every perspective together and figure out who the murderer is. It's like Rashomon.

Off-topic, I was comment bombed a while back because I gave this shitstain itlaian indie steam game "Remothered" a bad review. The artwork and gameplay were trying emulate Clocktower/silent hill, but its a broken buggy mess. Near unplayable. I gotta a shit ton of downvotes and people harassing me. Its looks like after the devs stopped curating the reviews its slowly coming back to earth but when it came out it was at like 90% though I still don't see any legitimate reviews for it on metacritic from the US. Thats a whole nother issue with game user ratings and reviews.

Also plenty game "journolist" are like say Christian rock artists. Many simply failed in preferred area and put on team "x" hat and took available work.

That's to say nothing of word vomit to meet quotas and deadlines.

Redlettermedia guys do a pitch perfect parody of this with their nerd crew series.

http://redlettermedia.com/the-nerd-crew/

I can only handle so much of their nerdcrew sketches, but its pretty funny, especially youre reasonably well-adjusted Star wars fan as apposed to people who literally cry when a new trailer comes out.

People like SkillUp and LaymenGaming, Jim Sterling(When he does reviews) etc have all rendered these "I played for like 5 hours in a 200 hour+ progression game and now want to talk about the end game I never saw" people obsolete. Skill up, for example, put 80 hours into Warframe before saying a word about it, there are a lot of better people out there now and these old relics need to go, haven't looked at one in like 6 years.

Skillup and laymen are the same guys :)

Back