Caliber Dev Calls Game Journalists Worthless Parasites Peddling Clickbait

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Russian developer Albert Zhiltsov, who currently serves as the producer for shooter game “Caliber,” is no fan of game journalists and did not mince words during a recent Twitch interview, calling them “worthless parasites; a bane on the gaming industry; pathetic, trash-peddling scrubs who need to put out to pasture for good.” Zhiltsov argues most know nothing about game development, and that their roles as reviewers have been usurped by streamers.

There are some that do agree that how he said what he said was inflammatory and caustic, but most also concede that gaming media is not very reliable nor as useful as they should be. The biggest issue is that many games journalists aren’t very knowledgeable about video games in general, or having barely a passing understanding of how games are developed, so their opinions are usually worth less than the people who buy and play games.

2. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Well this will surely help things...

3. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

Cant say I disagree with him.

4. RobCalleg

RobCalleg [H]Lite

Game “journalists” are fake news click bait. That extends to “real” journalists too in the main stream media. F em.

HoffY, chockomonkey, joobjoob and 6 others like this.
  5. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Most journalists these days are worthless parasites.

6. Vercinaigh

Vercinaigh Gawd

People like SkillUp and LaymenGaming, Jim Sterling(When he does reviews) etc have all rendered these "I played for like 5 hours in a 200 hour+ progression game and now want to talk about the end game I never saw" people obsolete. Skill up, for example, put 80 hours into Warframe before saying a word about it, there are a lot of better people out there now and these old relics need to go, haven't looked at one in like 6 years.

7. Revdarian

Revdarian 2[H]4U

The best part is that Jim Sterling and those others you mentioned make a point of not calling themselves "Game Journalist".

They are perfectly grounded in that regard, unlike those in kotaku/polygon/ign/rps, publications that I used to follow until I couldn't stomach the sham "reviews" and constant click bait articles they peddled.

8. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks Russian captain obvious.

9. TitaniumLizzard

TitaniumLizzard [H]Lite

*comrade obvious

10. Merc1138

Merc1138 2[H]4U

Clearly this must just be one of those russian bots that I've ready about on kotaku and polygon.

scojer, jfreund and Armenius like this.
  11. Crystoff

Crystoff [H]Lite

So I followed the link to "One Angry Gamer"... Yuck, Now I have to wash my whole computer.

scojer and masteralef like this.
  12. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

wasn't that common knowledge?

look at the only bad review of GTA V and tell me it was deserved.

13. masteralef

masteralef n00b

A Russian doesn’t like the press. Color me shocked.

Pantalaimon likes this.
  14. TorxT3D

TorxT3D Gawd

i'll agree with him.
    start following the paper trail to the top of the ladder, you'll see its no different than tv news media.. they own it all and will stop at nothing to bash and criticize 'goy' that own something so they can "fire you" and take it for themselves.

Armenius likes this.
  15. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

To quote Chasing Amy, "Well isn't it true?"

Armenius likes this.
  16. Eshelmen

Eshelmen 2[H]4U

Headlines from "PUBG players ticked off at changes, here's why"

Source to literally 10 players on Reddit making a stink

to

"This Call of Duty game features something new, find out what here!"

/facepalm

Writing and journalism industry has gone to shit in general. The market is WAY over saturated.

N4CR, chockomonkey and Highwind like this.
  17. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

18. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

I like this game already.

Aioeyu likes this.
  19. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

I wonder what this guy actually develops

20. smarenwolf

smarenwolf [H]Lite

Probably Caliber.

N4CR, Maddness, jfreund and 2 others like this.
  21. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

They aren't video game journalists, they are political commentators and activists trying to masquerade as game journos.
    It's not that they don't know much about games development, they don't understand video-games at all. And many of them don't even like games, they just think it is their civic duty to criticize and judge games based on their politics. And 'fix' toxic gamers.

IndyColtsFan, N4CR, Lateralus and 4 others like this.
  22. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

Most game reviewers also suck at video games.

N4CR and Armenius like this.
  23. Snishsnoosh

Snishsnoosh n00b

24. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

Anyone here know what that even is?

25. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I have never once used a game review, user or "journalist" to decide which games to buy. For me it's all word of mouth or fellow forum users recommendations.

I don't see what purpose they serve.

Maddness and joobjoob like this.
  26. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks like the guy caved and gave a partial apology after journalists threatened to boycott coverage until he was fired. Shame.
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...h-journalists-call-for-dev-to-be-fired/75344/
    Thread title says "Caliber Dev." A quick search shows this as the website for the game.
    https://caliber.ru/

Further searching reveals that the developer in question is actually one of the producers on the game.

27. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

But is it legit? A good game etc. or does he make trash all the time and is just whining

28. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

29. joobjoob

joobjoob Limp Gawd

"Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
    In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about [censored] than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know."

Michael Crichton

Ranulfo and dgz like this.
  30. joobjoob

joobjoob Limp Gawd

Ironically I have found reading comments on piracy sites insightful. No cheerleading or justifying their 250$ special edition.

I have the money and like to support great games rather then deal with questionable hacks and updates.

Zarathustra[H] likes this.
  31. joobjoob

joobjoob Limp Gawd

Also plenty game "journolist" are like say Christian rock artists. Many simply failed in preferred area and put on team "x" hat and took available work.

That's to say nothing of word vomit to meet quotas and deadlines.

Redlettermedia guys do a pitch perfect parody of this with their nerd crew series.

http://redlettermedia.com/the-nerd-crew/

Shadowed, Ranulfo and M76 like this.
  32. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

I haven't read a review in at least decade. Don't care what some clueless n00b think about things they know nothing about. ShackNews was a great place until ~5 years or so. Things weren't always that bad, though. People used to talk about game play. God, I miss the cynical brit :(

smarenwolf likes this.
  33. ianken

ianken [H]ard|Gawd

LOL. I don't know how to build car from scratch but I sure as hell know when one sucks balls. This guys sounds butt-hurt and salty. Maybe his game sucks?

34. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Its tough trying to find decent reviews on games. I kinda laugh at people claiming they don't reviews, ever *doubt*. If you watch Yahtzee or AngryJoe or whatever guys name is who rent, buy,pass is, you're *reading a review*. Regardless, like news or politics you kinda just have to pool every perspective together and figure out who the murderer is. It's like Rashomon.

Off-topic, I was comment bombed a while back because I gave this shitstain itlaian indie steam game "Remothered" a bad review. The artwork and gameplay were trying emulate Clocktower/silent hill, but its a broken buggy mess. Near unplayable. I gotta a shit ton of downvotes and people harassing me. Its looks like after the devs stopped curating the reviews its slowly coming back to earth but when it came out it was at like 90% though I still don't see any legitimate reviews for it on metacritic from the US. Thats a whole nother issue with game user ratings and reviews.

35. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

I can only handle so much of their nerdcrew sketches, but its pretty funny, especially youre reasonably well-adjusted Star wars fan as apposed to people who literally cry when a new trailer comes out.

joobjoob likes this.
  36. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

Same can be said for many hardware reviewers . . .who really are just about getting free shit.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  37. bigddybn

bigddybn [H]ardness Supreme

I bet a lot more people do now than 48 hours ago....

38. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

I kinda wonder if thats what this is actually about

39. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

In other words you want to shoot the messenger, not the message?

joobjoob likes this.
  40. prava

prava [H]ard|Gawd

Skillup and laymen are the same guys :)