Calculator pops up

luddha

Weaksauce
Hello. I've just made a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and when I type on my keyboard, the calculator pops up randomly. I've never had this problem and I don't know if there is some kind of key combination that I do.

Thanks a lot and sorry if my English is bad.

Does your keyboard have the "calculator" button? It could be a failing keyboard.

thats my thought as well.

And your english is fine, I'm not at all able to tell it isnt your first language. are you using an online translator?

Certainly sounds like a failing keyboard.

The last time I had an issue like this was on a laptop which had unfortunately been rained upon. I stripped it down and gave it a good chance to dry out, but unfortunately some persistent moisture must've got into it. Thing started popping up Calculator and Notepad windows in rapidfire fashion, no matter what I did. Then it died!

Cat talking about the water gives me an idea. You could wash the keyboard, but keep in mind it takes 4-6 days to fully air dry. I've done it in as little as 2 days but it was during the winter and the keyboard was standing above a heat vent for those 2 days.

If your interested. Basically draw a bath, put some dish soap in it and soak the keyboard. Poor the water out of it and re submerge it a few times to get cleaner water in there. After 30 minutes or so, rinse it out and set it somewhere to dry for a week or through it on a vent for a few days. Works very well for cleaning up sticky keys. I've done it 3 or 4 times over the years on different keyboards.

I seriously do NOT see the sense in cleaning a keyboard in that fashion. All that's needed to clean a keyboard is one of those ordinary, cheap, kitchen 'domestic wipes', moistened and then wrung out to the point where it's only a poofteenth damper than bone dry.

Switch off. Disconnect the keyboard. Give it a good wipe over, using a screwdriver or somesuch to push the wipe down between the keys and get those areas clean too. That's all anybody should ever need to do, and doing it that way it's safe enough to use the keyboard straight away again afterwards. Giving the thing a 'bath' is just inviting trouble, IMO.

And if the keyboard is cactus because shit has been spilled all over it and allowed to dribble down under the keys, then accept reality, throw the thing in the bin, and go get another one!

They talked about giving a keyboard a bath on The Screen Savers all the time. You don't need to wash the circuit board portion. You can take the top off which has all the keys, and wash just that to clean up the sticky crap and get under the keys.

I'm telling you though, take a 2 or 3 year old keyboard that has never been cleaned, and give it a bath, unless your meticulous about not getting stuff under the keys. It will be like a brand new keyboard.

Easy enough to get the crap out from under the keys by turning the keyboard upside down and giving it a good slap on the arse! Always has been that way and always will be that way :)

Nothing wrong with the keyboard bath. If you had seen some of the stuff I had to deal with when I was an IT manager for an autoparts chain, you'd see some stuff that had no other option. :eek:

Thanks a lot guys. The keyboard I'm using is a wireless keyboard from Logitech that I've used for my last 4 computers. I guess it's about 6 years old. I really like it, but I can't use a failing keyboard. Probably it's starting to fail because of my Counter-Strike/Battlefield 2 rages :p. Maybe it's time for a new one.

Thanks again.

mnewxcv: No, I'm not using any kind of translator. I'm just a normal 17 yo Swede :)

Well, nothing beats tearing the keyboard apart, Removing all the keys and the main plastic body to just soak and get all the grime and crap off. I'm sure that rubber membrane pad for the whole keyboard is pretty dirty, clean that too.

The keyboard I'm using is a wireless keyboard from Logitech that I've used for my last 4 computers.

heh heh...

I use a much loved old Logitech cordless deskset which has been with me for so long half the characters are no longer printed on the keys. That's kinda disconcerting, considering I don't touch-type!

:D

Now I've solved the problem by changing to some old HP keyboard, but it's just temporarily ofc. I'm looking at the Logitech Illuminated keyboard. Looks really good, but what I miss on it is next/previous buttons for media players.

Thanks for the help guys, but I think my keyboard is to old to deserve the time it takes to clean it.

Back