Cablemod 90° and 180° adapters now for sale/pre-order.

Hmm, so since the sense pins are usually on top for most card models, it seems you would get Adapter (B) generally if you are routing cables below the card, no?

Yes. For a 4090FE I ordered the 90B version.

But, it's cool that they have 4 options, should have every need covered. The compatibility issues really arise from the few cards that have a recessed 12vhpwr socket. So be sure to check the compatibility list.

Another less expensive option:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2BzikJP&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

under $11 and I think shipping was free. I did pay tax tho. I bought one of these since the Cablemod adapter was still so far away. So far it has been fine, I've had it for about 2 weeks. Took about 20 days to arrive.

Last edited:
https://store.cablemod.com/12vhpwr-angled-adapter/

Kinda pricy at $40, but should be well engineered.
4 versions, 90° up, 90°down, and 180's of both as well. Since the 12vhpwr connector on the card can have the sense pins on either side.

Card compatibility with many models listed here, scroll down: https://store.cablemod.com/compatibility/
I got one of the 90's for my son's new 4090 and it works great, and so well made too, but that's not unusual for Cablemod :D

My 90 degree down came in last week. Installed it and I like the look.

Mine also came in last week and I am very pleased with it! Both sides of it were easy to plug in and it makes my build look much cleaner.

1680482154475.jpeg

Here is what it looked like before getting the CableMod adapter and cable:

1680482481953.jpeg

These can also be used for 30xx series, too, right? I was looking into them for my 3080 - on Amazon and there's so many of these adapters. There's 'standard' and 'reverse' for where the buckle is located. I found it a bit confusing. I think I need the 'reverse' adapter since the buckles on the 6-pin port of the ASUS Tuf Gaming 3080 -- is on the top - when the card is mounted vertically?
So, I need two adapters?
I apologize if these are dumb questions and I realize this topic is mostly regarding the 40xx series.
But, the current power cable on my card is pretty close to the TG panel and I like the clean look when you use these adapters. Cable management when using these are noticeably improved.

These can also be used for 30xx series, too, right? I was looking into them for my 3080 - on Amazon and there's so many of these adapters. There's 'standard' and 'reverse' for where the buckle is located. I found it a bit confusing. I think I need the 'reverse' adapter since the buckles on the 6-pin port of the ASUS Tuf Gaming 3080 -- is on the top - when the card is mounted vertically?
So, I need two adapters?
I apologize if these are dumb questions and I realize this topic is mostly regarding the 40xx series.
But, the current power cable on my card is pretty close to the TG panel and I like the clean look when you use these adapters. Cable management when using these are noticeably improved.

these ones are for the new connector type. you'd have to find ones for 8/6pin, yes two, probably.

My 90 degree down came in last week. Installed it and I like the look.

these ones are for the new connector type. you'd have to find ones for 8/6pin, yes two, probably.
I know it's 2 8 pin for the card I have, currently - ASUS Tuf 3080 - but, should I get the 180 degree connector? Yes, right?
The card can be installed vertically or horizontally - does the position it's mounted also 'change' which connector one should get?

I know it's 2 8 pin for the card I have, currently - ASUS Tuf 3080 - but, should I get the 180 degree connector? Yes, right?
The card can be installed vertically or horizontally - does the position it's mounted also 'change' which connector one should get?
your call.

Mine came in last week as well, but wasn't happy with it. I realized I had the Gigabyte OC 4090 when I ordered the adapter, so it doesn't work as well on the Strix 4090 I have now. Doubt I'll order a different one.

My case is big enough where it doesn't matter I mean if you had your glass off your case for 6 months I would get this.

Last edited:
Pretty cool looking, but my normal Corsair cable is working well enough in spite of the tighter fit. $40 just seems a little bit much for something like this.
MY FSP PSU has the 12 VHPWR connector so that's why I doubt I'd purchase another one as it fits just fine. I ordered the adapter back when there wasn't any PCIE 5.0 PSU's out there.

Had a vertical mount setup for about 6 months but decided to ditch it and go horizontal as I prefer how it looks and there won't be hot GPU air being blown out right against the mobo chipset anymore. Adapter lets me close the side panel with no issues.

Attachments

• 20230417_193844.jpg
    20230417_193844.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230417_201158.jpg
    20230417_201158.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 1
Had a vertical mount setup for about 6 months but decided to ditch it and go horizontal as I prefer how it looks and there won't be hot GPU air being blown out right against the mobo chipset anymore. Adapter lets me close the side panel with no issues.
I think you could use a bit more RGB, the gpu is really not shining at all.

Reactions: haste
like this
I think you could use a bit more RGB, the gpu is really not shining at all.

Lol nah I'm done with RGB. Was thinking about swapping everything out to an NZXT H7 Flow and go non RGB but all the fans and AIO still work perfectly fine so I held off on that.

Lol nah I'm done with RGB. Was thinking about swapping everything out to an NZXT H7 Flow and go non RGB but all the fans and AIO still work perfectly fine so I held off on that.

or you could turn off the unicorn diarrhea and go for one or two colors. I like shades, gpu light blue, mobo darker blue. no rgb fans though, they're an abomination to the pc gawds.

40$ for this? Hells no. Went to amazon and bought the same thing roughly for 25$

40$ for this? Hells no. Went to amazon and bought the same thing roughly for 25$

And if your $25 connector ends up melting and taking out the GPU with it, have fun dealing with that. At least Cablemod even goes as far as to replace the GPU for you too.

Cablemod replaces a 2k video card? I didn't know they had that warranty. Cool. Makes it worth it then..kinda.

Been using the Cablemod adapter for about 2 months now. A week or 2 back when the repair guy put the youtube video out, saying that the Cablemod adapter is melting on people, I checked mine.
It's fine.
It's same story as any of these adapters, make sure it is plugged in.

The card he was repairing was for Cablemod themselves. They buy any card for anyone that has a melting issue with their adapter, even if it is user error (still seems to be the case). So the guy in the youtube video was repairing a card for Cablemod, but he didn't know that is who his customer was, who then does giveaways to give the repaired cards away. Pretty good support, but they are $40 a pop so, the least they can do.
But he thought he was getting an alarming amount of these to be repaired (8 so far for this new adapter), so releases the OMG Alert! youtube video, presenting the issue in a manner that calls the Cablemod adapter in to question... I can see why he reached that conclusion, but he has repaired every single card that had a melt with the Cablemod part. He didn't know every repair he was doing was for them, which paints a much clearer picture. I bet they have sold 20,000 of those or more. Still a few who can't get them plugged in all of the way 0.0004, or 0.04%.

I guess in a year or 2 we will have even more data, but use some care and common sense and you will not have any problems.

Don't laugh I bought a 26 cent micro HDMI for my Sammy cellphone 12 years ago from China. How does any OEM make a profit when you look at logistics of sending it across the ocean? It still works today even though I moved to Apple.

Week ago I swapped out my old corsair 750 with seasonic vertex 1200, and also added cablemod 180 type b. I was getting random black screen with fans ramping to full speed (on graphics card). Computer was still working fine, I was on a conference call when this happened once and the call continued. It happened about 5 times in a span of a week running 24/7 and never while gaming. Removed the adapter & it hasn't happened since. Founders 4090 / Asus TUF 670e wifi. I won't be RMAing it as really don't need it. Tempting to see if tech jesus wants it. No melting or any visual issues.

Been using the Cablemod adapter for about 2 months now. A week or 2 back when the repair guy put the youtube video out, saying that the Cablemod adapter is melting on people, I checked mine.
It's fine.
It's same story as any of these adapters, make sure it is plugged in.

The card he was repairing was for Cablemod themselves. They buy any card for anyone that has a melting issue with their adapter, even if it is user error (still seems to be the case). So the guy in the youtube video was repairing a card for Cablemod, but he didn't know that is who his customer was, who then does giveaways to give the repaired cards away. Pretty good support, but they are $40 a pop so, the least they can do.
But he thought he was getting an alarming amount of these to be repaired (8 so far for this new adapter), so releases the OMG Alert! youtube video, presenting the issue in a manner that calls the Cablemod adapter in to question... I can see why he reached that conclusion, but he has repaired every single card that had a melt with the Cablemod part. He didn't know every repair he was doing was for them, which paints a much clearer picture. I bet they have sold 20,000 of those or more. Still a few who can't get them plugged in all of the way 0.0004, or 0.04%.

I guess in a year or 2 we will have even more data, but use some care and common sense and you will not have any problems.

He also said he had over 250 4090s and 4080s waiting to be repaired, so if anyone thinks having 8 related to cablemod adapters means there's something uniquely bad with cablemod, I think that's an overreaction for sure.

did a parts shuffle in my boxes and now have a 7800x3d system built. 4090 still humming along for last few weeks with no smoke or flames. System is on 24/7.

Week ago I swapped out my old corsair 750 with seasonic vertex 1200, and also added cablemod 180 type b. I was getting random black screen with fans ramping to full speed (on graphics card). Computer was still working fine, I was on a conference call when this happened once and the call continued. It happened about 5 times in a span of a week running 24/7 and never while gaming. Removed the adapter & it hasn't happened since. Founders 4090 / Asus TUF 670e wifi. I won't be RMAing it as really don't need it. Tempting to see if tech jesus wants it. No melting or any visual issues.
Do it! Would love to see if they can re-create your issue. Is there any chance it wasn't seated all of the way?

It's also possible that your GPU just needed re-seated or pushed on, or that the cable from the card to the display wasn't fully seated.
If you remember a date/time when one of the issues occurred, check in Windows event logs, see if anything was recorded that might be relevant.
He also said he had over 250 4090s and 4080s waiting to be repaired, so if anyone thinks having 8 related to cablemod adapters means there's something uniquely bad with cablemod, I think that's an overreaction for sure.
Yeah, I agree with GamersNexus' point that if the design 'encourages' user error, then the design could be better.
They could make some tweaks to the cable side connector of the 12vhpwr connectors and make decent improvements, while maintaining compatibility to the card side 12vhpwr connector.

Last edited:
I'm honestly just happy I got an ATX 3.0 PSU that I really don't have to worry about these aftermarket connectors. Snaps in correctly with no issues, but so did the original "dongle" I had initially. Again the Cablemod 90 degree adapter I got for my Strix card just didn't seat correctly to my liking and honestly wouldn't have cleaned up my build any better than what it is now.
Yeah, I agree with GamersNexus' point that if the design 'encourages' user error, then the design could be better.
Could it have been better? Yes. A little more distinct snap would have been better to make sure it was seated correctly, but like most of use spending the money on these cards we would double and triple check that the cable was inserted fully.

I sent an email off to their team (at) gn account. We'll see. They prob get a shit ton of email, and this is prob the last thing they wana deal with after all the other shitty things happening lately. Besides 5 times in the span of a week over 24/7 is a pita to test.

Is there any chance it wasn't seated all of the way?
Not a chance.

check in Windows event logs, see if anything was recorded that might be relevant.
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\000000c3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

That error can be caused by many things. One of the more common ones is a bad stick of ram. So if it comes back, there are some things to try like dism restorehealth, sfc scannow, uninstall and reinstall drivers. But the system ram is most common from the looks. the video driver uses large block of system ram as the buffer to write to the video card ram, and any failures in that block crash the driver.

CableMod said:
With the new upcoming CEM 5.1 connector specification, we are in the final stages of making a hardware revision to our adapters that will incorporate this new standard, and also help address some of the usability issues people are experiencing with them. Once the design is finalized, we will offer more details to the community on these revised adapters.

In addition to this, we will be giving a very special offer to those who purchased a V1 adapter and would like to obtain this new version as well. Stay tuned for details.

In summary

The current failure rates have remained the same since our last report. With more than 80,000 adapters sold, and less than 80 cases of failures, the failure rates are still very low for this product. However, we can also see that these rates are noticeably higher than our cable products, which have barely any cases at all. This means that we still need to make improvements on the adapters. We are confident that our new adapter revision will help lower these cases even further going forward.
Mine hasn't had any issues. I also didn't have any issues with the $11 one from aliexpress, which I still have.

Glad to see some updates the the specification, and hopefully the changes make these idiot proof.

It seems like the problem with Cablemod is they cheaped out on the 90 degree connectors. Their first pre-order run all used the 4-pin NTK connector, which is recommended now by Intel. As far as I can tell, not a single 4-pin NTK connector has ever been shown to cause a 12vhpwr connector failure.

Cablemod outside of their first pre-production run of the 90 degree adapter has switched to cheaper 3-dimple or 2-dimple connectors, and all of these have been ones that have been catching on fire.

They got into business with a risky platform. Sucks but they knew it going in.

Now time to pay out. Hope this doesn't make them go bankrupt. Ah well. Businesses come and go.

They got into business with a risky platform. Sucks but they knew it going in.

Now time to pay out. Hope this doesn't make them go bankrupt. Ah well. Businesses come and go.
All they had to do was have a little quality control and testing. Instead, CableMod rushed to market with these poorly designed adapters to feed the demand and beat competitors to market.

I never had a problem with the v1.0, but since they released the v1.1 and sent us coupons, I stopped using the v1.0 and got the v1.1.

Used it about a month without issue, then had a black screen come up when playing something. Shut down, checked the adapter, and it was very hot. Pulled it out, nothing melted luckily. I went back to the aliexpress 90degree cable, and contacted Cablemod support. They replaced it, but I haven't re-installed it.
When looking at the one that caused a black screen closely, it appeared that one of the sense pin connectors, the metal part, was maybe bent. The light reflected differently on the visible metal portion of one of the sense pins. I suspect that one pin lost contact and triggered the card shutting itself down.
I probably got lucky since I didn't use it for that long, nothing melted. No idea why it got so hot, but something is wrong with the adapters, and even moreso with the v1.1.

Not aware of problems with cables, from Cablemod or anywhere else.

I don't think there's any real quality control that can fix the problem with trying to use an adapter. The connection has very little leeway with its safety margin amperage limits relative to the size of the connectors. Debauer posted how one of his cards has a fault light that goes on when it detects a problem with the connection, and using a native corsair 12vhp cable, he showed that just minor movement can trigger the fault indicating that the connection within the pins can easily be pushed to bad connections which can be detected due to increased resistance. An adapter makes it more likely for 2 spots to experience this problem. All it takes is for 1 wire to have high resistance then the rest try to take up the slack further eroding the safety margin per cable and its a domino effect until we get melted plastics or fires.

It's got him worried since people have flocked to his wireview device as a substitute and its a testing device to be used intermittently, not a permanent long term wire management solution.

Back