CableCARD Experience Improves With FCC Rules

jadams

2[H]4U
Interesting article posted yesterday at DSL Reports. I am happy to hear this as I'll evetually be picking up the HDHRCC when it comes out.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CableCARD-Experience-Improves-With-FCC-Rules-115903

in my experience this week, it truly was an efficient and painless process to pick up and successfully activate a new M-Card. I swung by the Verizon store in the mall, for a grand total of only 11 minutes, and registration at home was a mere 5 minute online procedure. No muss, no fuss. Unfortunately, there’s still a lack of consumer knowledge and, more importantly, a lack retail cable devices. Although some solid new offerings are arriving for Windows Media Center and the quad-tuning TiVo Premiere Elite is expected this fall. Yet, that’s really only two new platforms.

eh, it was the same for me 3 years ago with Comcast when I used the ATI CableCard tuners. Stopped by their office, picked up a CC, and called them up to pair it.

No fucking thanks

I tried CableCards and it was a random, disappointing experience, would never ever try it again

May the old guard (telecom and media) fall very very hard

Ceton tuner card is a very nice thing.. It was a pain to install when I got it though because I had to use a cable man who didn't believe it would work.. But once working its great..

Supposedly the FCC has passed new rules since I did my setup that forces places like time warner to let you do a self install. I have no idea if these guys are complying with the rules yet though..The problem with streaming right now is that if you want 'first run' shows you still get commercials (Hulu). Commercials suck - I pretty much can't watch 'live" TV anymore because the commercial to show ratio is so terrible.. You feel like your life is wasting away. Even movie theaters tick me off now - you pay money and then sit through commercials..

Ceton tuner card is a very nice thing.. It was a pain to install when I got it though because I had to use a cable man who didn't believe it would work.. But once working its great..

Supposedly the FCC has passed new rules since I did my setup that forces places like time warner to let you do a self install. I have no idea if these guys are complying with the rules yet though..The problem with streaming right now is that if you want 'first run' shows you still get commercials (Hulu). Commercials suck - I pretty much can't watch 'live" TV anymore because the commercial to show ratio is so terrible.. You feel like your life is wasting away. Even movie theaters tick me off now - you pay money and then sit through commercials..

The new rules are not yet in force - i think it is required by November of this year for companies that allow set top box self-installs and early next year (maybe Feb) for everyone else. I had to pay for a truck roll a month ago to TWC just to have someone hand me a cable card and read some numbers into the phone :-\

I just did a self install cable card with HDHomerun Prime. The only issue I had was on my end with the windows firewall blocking the traffic. Other than that issue the watching experience is very much worth the pain. :D I'm watching NFL network in HD on my computer while typing this.

The new rules are not yet in force - i think it is required by November of this year for companies that allow set top box self-installs and early next year (maybe Feb) for everyone else. I had to pay for a truck roll a month ago to TWC just to have someone hand me a cable card and read some numbers into the phone :-\

me too :(

Installing the cable card in my Ceton and sharing it on my network was easy. Dealing with Time Warner was a major pain in the ass. I kept asking them why they couldn't just ship the card to me so I could install it myself. I ended up doing all the work myself anyway, other than placing the phone call to pair the card.

Oh its in-force now, the actual date for company's that allow self-installs normally was August 9th, and for company's that dont its November. And if the company's aren't following the rules the fcc has set up a "file a complaint" site...Which I have read some people have used and got results.

They have been enforced for a while, there was an engadget article about this rule about a year ago. http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/the-fcc-changes-the-cablecard-rules-but-not-dramatically/ Even the article in the OP says LAST october. This isn't news, the article is commenting on an almost year old rule change that was enforced 9 months after the change so july 10thish. The only news is that for companies that don't allow self installs of any cable product they are required to all self installs of cable cards in october.

Last edited:
Back