Cable Splitter questions for my internet and tv

vvilliamm

Gawd
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax cable so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable TV antenna)

Frequency Range (MHz)
5~47 47~950 950~2150 2150~2400
Insertion Loss In Out
4.5 dB 6.0 dB 6.8 dB 7.0 dB
Isolation Out - Out 8 dB 18 dB 18 dB 18 dB
Return Loss In 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB
Return Loss Out 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB

Your best bet is to call TWC and see if they will give you a 2 way splitter at a payment center. Radio Shack splitters are hated by cable techs and in most cases are the cause of tons of problems.

Drop by TWC and ask them for a splitter. They sometimes will give you the right one for free.

by any chance do you know if having an higher db is better or worse?

That's not enough info to give you a good answer. It's like asking if higher $ is better. If you're talking about lottery winnings, higher is better. If you're talking about a fine, then lower is better.

If it's for a loss rating, then you want a lower dB. The lower the loss, the better. Note that the dB scale is logarithmic. +3dB is double. +6dB is quadruple. +9dB is 8x. If you're losing 3dB, you're cutting your signal in half. Also, connectors cause loss as well. A single 20' cable is going to be a lot better than two 10' cables joined together with a F-F adapter.

+1 for getting one from TWC. I recently had issues with my cable internet (Charter). I thought I was doing good by just picking up one at Wally-world.

Not the case. It did ok for a while but then I had problems with the connection dropping out and had the techs come out and check everything and it turned out to be the splitter. They put one of theirs on it and it was fine. I forget what brand I can post back to you when I look behind the entertainment center.

The service call was free too. Your case may vary but it's worth a shot maybe just asking what they use or something.

I hope my experience helped you in some way. :)

Last edited:
InvisiBill is correct, There is alot going on in a coax line for any of us to be able to say for sure what splitter to pick.

I know in NorthEast Ohio, it was $25 or $50 for TWC to come put and run a new outlet if there was no wall fishing involved.

Just on a whim, i took a look at radio shacks prices:
The CHEAPEST 2 way splitter they have is $10 (source) and the Monster 2 way splitter is $20 (Source). Now you will need cable, so you would need to get a jumper of some sort ($7 at "The Shack") and another cable to run to your TV ($19 for 25' at "The Shack"). So the lowest cost your looking at is $36, or $46 if you get the monster splitter.

Now ill tell you this, When i worked as a repair tech for TWC, everything i just linked to would get replaced with the good splitters and cable they issue techs without a second thought. Rat Shack and monster cable gear is absolutely despised by cable techs because its always the source of problems.

If you call out TWC, they will put in the new outlet for you and wire it in properly so it will work.

Last edited:
ooh thanks for all your help and info im going to replace all of my coaxial cables and i also bought three splitters.

Hmm im at the point of stress lol i bought three cable splitters
DC-6 DIRECTIONAL COUPLER BPI 5-1000MHZ DC6
http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220398212022

and
PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable TV antenna)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10422&cs_id=1042206&p_id=2872&seq=1&format=2

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
»www.XXXXXXX/monster-cable/pe/MC_TGHZ2RFMKII/

i also bought brand new coaxial cables
RG6 F Type Quad Shielded Coaxial 18AWG CL2 Rated 75Ohm Cable
- Heavy-Duty Quad Shielded RG-6/UL 18AWG Coaxial Cable
- 75 Ohm 2200 MHz Coaxial Cables for Maximum Signal Transfer and Minimize Interference.
- Lifetime Warranty
RG6 Quad Shield is great for Hi-Impact Acoustics, antennas, cable television
and satellite installations, Its durable 18 AWG copper clad steel center
conductor is surrounded by foam polyethylene dielectric. Sweep testing
ensures 3.0GHz performance at applicable frequencies.

18AWG Solid .040ˇ± Bare Copper-Clad Steel Conductor
100% Aluminum-Mylar Shielding
60% Aluminum Braid
Gas Injected Foam Polyethylene Insulation
CM/CL2 Rated PVC Jacket
Sweep Tested to 3.0GHz
Sequential Foot Markers
CMR Rated
UL and CUL Listed
so far according to this the lower db the better so monster should be the best 0.0 i got all of these for cheap the monster one also i did not buy it for 20 lol.

here is my current cable signal strength for my internet
33318289.jpg

if i split it i guess i could tell =] i guess i will wait till all my splitters arrive from each location lol but if you know any other ones let me know i will buy just to get good speed
yea im currently using roadrunner cable 15mbps plan with power boost. cable modem is hooked up to my verizon westell 7500 lol

Have the strongest signal / least splits going to your cable modem. That box is the touchiest out of the bunch as far as signal quality

Yes, please do not use monster cable/radio shack/xyz gold crap splitters. The cable guy will just rip them right out. I get my splitters from the Time Warner guys. I do some cable installation work and I use the same parts they use.

I asked cable dude for a splitter when he wired my apt and said he could only do 4 outputs and i needed 5. The splitter had to be on the line with internet so he wouldnt' do it said it'd decrease signal too much, but he wired up a passive amplifier. He said something about they can't tone or trace a line with splitters on it. I dunno, i'm planning on just moving the router to where the cable comes in and hook up a switch there as it has network access there. Think the guy was smoking something though.

I asked cable dude for a splitter when he wired my apt and said he could only do 4 outputs and i needed 5. The splitter had to be on the line with internet so he wouldnt' do it said it'd decrease signal too much, but he wired up a passive amplifier. He said something about they can't tone or trace a line with splitters on it. I dunno, i'm planning on just moving the router to where the cable comes in and hook up a switch there as it has network access there. Think the guy was smoking something though.

Yeah, he sounds like a moron. It's either than or the cable company you have is cheap as hell and wont buy bigger splitters and the proper amps.

Back