Cable modem not connecting - getting new cable modem?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I have a cable modem with Cox and I've been having some issues over the last couple of days. Today it was very slow for me when I was using the web. (My brother was playing Enemy Territory and he said it was "working fine" but I suppose it wasn't using much bandwidth.) So I power-cycled the modem and it isn't able to connect to the cable service! The cable TV/telephone was working fine I must add. I call Cox and they can't do anything but set up a service call for Sunday. It appears that my neighbors' cable Internet is working fine so I don't know what to do.

I tried a bunch of things - use different coax cable, different cable outlet, let it cool down, but to no avail. So I am guessing the problem may be the cable modem - it has been sitting in a cabinet with not much ventilation for about 5 years anyway.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there anything that you might think it could be besides the cable modem itself?
2. How would I go about getting/using a cable modem? I know electronics stores sell them so can I just go pick one up and plug it in and (hopefully) have it work? (I suppose I could return it if it didn't remedy the problem) Is there any other configuration I would need to do?

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

You want to call the cable ISP first and get a list of "compatible" modems. That way you don't spend 200 bucks for something they won't work with.

After researching myself, found the newer Motorola Surfboards tend to be favored by many, so I snagged a 5120.

Once you have it..call ISP...tell them you have a new modem and need it provisioned...they'll ask for the MAC...remote into it..upload a config file..you'll be set.

I'm on my 3rd cable modem. 1st one crapped out and fried the WAN port on my router. Second one i turned in because I got Optimum boost and needed one that can handle 30Mbps. May be your modem, it sucks to have to wait though...so I know the feeling. I feel like someone lopped off my arm whenever I am without service.

Back