Cable modding questions - Possible to bypass "consumer" retailers and go to source?

GlacierNine

Limp Gawd
So I'm looking into the possibility of building/sleeving my own PSU cables.

I'm aware of companies like cablemod, but I think it'd be more satisfying to do completely from scratch, on my own.

Also, quite frankly, it seems like even buying parts from a "PC Mod Centric" retailer like say, moddiy.com means paying as much as £1.63 per connector, when mouser or RS electronics will sell me what I *think* are the correct connectors for 5 times less.

I've spent some time looking up molex part numbers, etc, and come up with the following shopping cart for connectors:
Http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=a84fcaa27f

questions:

1 - Have I found the right molex part numbers for this project? (Also it'd be good to know if anyone can find SATA power connectors/rear covers on mouser, since I've not been able to)

2 - I'm having trouble nailing down what wire I need to buy, and what kind of sleeving will work best. Can anyone here help with that? Ideally for as little money as possible.

3 - Is it possible to go full-bore and do this for the SATA data cables as well? I've found threads from a few years ago that were trying to do so but they were having trouble finding the parts/wire.

I'm aware that for companies like moddiy and pexxon, they've done this work for me, and that's part of why they're charging a premium for materials, whereas mouser/RS pretty much just point you at the catalogue and tell you to do your research, but money is money, and my time is mine to spend, so help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows of any other places to go for this stuff other than RS or Mouser that'd be cool too, since RS doesn't have several of the connectors I need, and other options are always cool to have.

Last edited:
With the right connector tool, you can typically just remove the pins from the existing connector, sleeve the wires, and reuse the connector. You don't need new connectors unless you are trying to change color.

You don't need wire at all, unless you are altering the length. If you are shortening, you will simply need new pins. For lengthening, you would just add whatever amount is needed and add new pins. I've seen different sizes used on various brands/models and I don't recall the gauge used.

The cost most places charge is for time, not actual parts.

Bottom line, it boils down to what exactly you are trying to do.

2 - I'm having trouble nailing down what wire I need to buy, and what kind of sleeving will work best. Can anyone here help with that? Ideally for as little money as possible.

The common standard is 18AWG for the power supply wiring (ATX, EPS, PCI-E, SATA, MOLEX) but some high end units do use 16AWG for at least the ATX/EPS/PCI-E i believe. Fan wires you can drop down to 22AWG, then down to 26AWG for the front panel stuff. Electrical supply places sell this stuff by the spool at pretty reasonable prices, you can look for 12v marine/automotive/general hookup wire and it'll generally be the same type of stuff. Also different insulation materials/thicker insulation can make the wire harder to bend so keep that in mind.

"What I'm trying to do" is actually a million dollar question.

Ideally I'd like to buy and build from scratch - If only so that, should it all go pear shaped, or I give up on the project, I can just go back to stock cables and not have a broken machine or a machine with half of a sleeving job on show for the world.

"What I'm trying to do" is actually a million dollar question.

Ideally I'd like to buy and build from scratch - If only so that, should it all go pear shaped, or I give up on the project, I can just go back to stock cables and not have a broken machine or a machine with half of a sleeving job on show for the world.

Making custom cables and sleeving them isn't rocket science by any means. The parts are dirt-cheap when you buy them in bulk (18AWG stranded wire, plastic connectors and pins) The pinouts are all standard and easy to find online for any given connector or PSU.

It IS really time consuming though, which is what you're paying for from places like CableMod. Making it look very neat and even takes a while to get right, so make sure you get enough material to do it over a few times while you learn the tricks and techniques.

Time consuming doesn't bother me at all.

What does bother me is that the crimping tool seems to cost about £40, which is a little rich for my blood considering enough connectors and cables to do 5 PCs costs about that much.

Is it really necessary to buy the £40 ratcheting crimper everyone recommends? Is there a cheap, chinesium grade version that will last for a job or two then need replacing?

What does bother me is that the crimping tool seems to cost about £40, which is a little rich for my blood considering enough connectors and cables to do 5 PCs costs about that much.

Is it really necessary to buy the £40 ratcheting crimper everyone recommends? Is there a cheap, chinesium grade version that will last for a job or two then need replacing?

You could use regular notched needle nose pliers if you wanted, but it would take longer. Search for Dupont crimp tool rather than molex tool.

If you are going to modify, why even bother with bulky molex? When wiring for lights or fans, I cut those off whenever possible.
Affix spade or ring terminal to the end of your wires and run them from a terminal block or two. Could even use bear wire ends if wanted.

70016_primary_225px.jpg

For removable ends you could use bullet connectors.

end.jpg

Last edited:
This is a piece of cake. I also used 18AWG
silicone wire for it's flexibility in my ITX case.

MOLEX 39-00-0038 x100 pcs
Konsait DIY 4PCS/Set ATX/ EPS/ PCI-E/ Molex/ SATA Full Pin Removal Kit
IWISS SN-28B DUPONT Terminal Ratchet Crimper
Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper
Striveday 18 AWG Flexible Silicone Wire 100ft

reuse alll the connectors that you can unless you want to get new ones. Performance PCs has a great selection, but they ain't real cheap
Check out this old thread of mine... and here's a pic of a few finished wires
IMG_20161218_163143.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Watch Lutro0's guides... Specifically, skip around the tools video to familiarize yourself with what you'll use (see post above). Here's a step-by-step video. He's long winded, but it's great info. You do NOT need to buy that expensive crimp tool (use the one above for GREAT results), but he will show you every step to cutting, stripping, crimping (and sleeving, if you want to)...

There's a brand called iSwiss or something that has crimpers on Amazon for ~$20. I found them to work really well...crimps come out looking exactly like the ones from that $40 tool.

Back