Cable Lenth, Pricing, Etc...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by jlinker, Aug 28, 2005.

1. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

I was digging through my closet the other day and found a spool of Fiber Optic line that my old school's administrator had offloaded onto me.

The connector on each end is marked as Siemens (see attached pictures for better descriptions. :)

On the cable, there's : Berk-Tek Optical Fiber Cable 62.5/125 - ICP002 -- FDDI/ATM TYPE OFNP (UL) -- OFN-FT6 (UL) 75c 05/97 216528 feet marked on it.

Now I'm well aware that it's probably difficult to just say "Oh, you've X ft of cable," but does anyone know of an effective way to measure fiber lengths without damaging the cable [and] connectors?

Also, does anyone know of a rough guesstimate of what this grade fiber goes for?

Thanks in advance.

(Pictures can be located at:

www.jlinker.com/pics/Connector.jpg
    www.jlinker.com/pics/Connector2.jpg
    www.jlinker.com/pics/Spool.jpg
    )

2. jpmkm

jpmkm That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...

If you don't want to unroll it all and physicall measure the length then there are devices that use time domain reflectometry or something that can measure it for you. Basically you hook something up to both ends, one end sends a signal down the fiber, it shoots back down, and the device measures how long it took for the signal to return, and from that it computes the length of the fiber. I have no idea what that cable is worth, though.

3. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

Guess I'll have to measure it the normal way.

Thanks for the insight though, I'll see if I can find one of those tools first.

4. moetop

moetop [H]ard|Gawd

What do you mean by damage the ends/cable? If you can unroll the cable there should be a number in feet on the other end the diffrence should tell you how many feet there is..
    i.e.

217040 feet - "216528 feet" = 512 feet

5. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

I'll check for that when I get off of work tonight, thanks. As for damaging it, I just don't want to indavertly get something in the connector or bend/break it, making some of the cable useless. :confused:

6. moetop

moetop [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldent worry too much about damagint it. Just dont kink or step on it.. I would however be cautious of the ends there should be little rubber or plastic caps protecting the ends fron scratches. I dont know what type of end that is either.

7. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

There weren't any caps, but I know which ones you're talking about. I'm almost just thinking of wrapping a plastic bag over it and then taping it shut, so the bag won't slide off.

I'm just worried that I might get dirt into the end somehow, and cause damage.

8. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

I've done a bit of searching (and measuring using moetop's suggestion) and found that the cable is ~250 Ft.

The connector type is, according to the Emerson part catalog, "Escon."
    (http://fiberconn.com/catalog/ProductListing1.asp?nGroupID=250)

I'm trying to figure a rough guestimate on the price for this length of cable, but I'm unable to come up with anything. Anyone have any ideas?

9. AMDXP

AMDXP 2[H]4U

maybe 500 dollars.... I have no idea...

10. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

Well I'm just trying to get a rough estimate on retail price, because honestly, I'm hoping to sell it on the FS/FT portion @ [H]ardforum soon with some other stuff I don't want to tote with me to college.

11. moetop

moetop [H]ard|Gawd

I would both post it here (because it's free) and put it on E-bay because of the type of product it is.. From what I am seeing Fiber generaly go's for $1.50 to $2.00 a foot Retail, but I cant fine one exactly like that.

I would do an E-bay search for fiber and see what you might get for it..

12. feigned

feigned [H]ard|Gawd

$1.50 to $2.00 a foot? That's a crazy price. We just bought two 1000' spools for $.67/ft. Note that these are unterminated.

Maybe you're thinking of some serious outdoor stuff?

OP, you might be able to get $100 out of it...it's only two strand fiber, but it is FDDI so maybe someone would want it. I wouldn't be sure what to ask for it.

13. moetop

moetop [H]ard|Gawd

I was referring to pre made cables terminated. Bulk 1000' cable is cheap.

14. Asgorath

Asgorath [H]ard|Gawd

How about take a few measurements and do a calculus problem for essentially the length of a spiral taking into account how many widths of wire per width of reel.

15. jlinker

jlinker Limp Gawd

Pretty nice idea. Already got the length though. :)