Cable Internet Doesn't work after XP computer restart.

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok. Another annoying hassle I found. I know this one is common as I've seen it before in the past, just don't remember where to find it.

Whenever I restart my computer, I have to unplug my cable modem and router to be able to get back on the internet. I have XP Home, sp2, and full updates. Not too much of a bother as I leave my computer running all the time anyway, but when I install new programs or updates, etc, and I have to restart, it's a bitch having to go in the other room all the time to unplug and wait wait wait.. yeah.. Thanks guys :)

also, running wizards doesn't correct the problem. for some reason i need to do a full reset from the power source.

1. Make sure your TCP/IP settings are grabbing DHCP (not the same as "automatically detect settings" under LAN Settings).
  2. Make sure you are not using your ISP's software to try to connect.
  3. Buy a router.

1. yes
2. im not
3. i have one

still doesn't work =/

I figured out it's the network that is not assigning my computer a proper IP address. That's the problem. Only way I've had luck in fixing that is resetting my modem and router every time.

It sounds like your modem or router isn't working correctly, and it may be time to place it. Shut off the modem and the router, and then plug the cable modem directly into the PC. Reboot the PC and see if that works fine. Your first step is to isolate which device is causing the problem.

What happens when you give your computer a static IP? Does it work fine then?

Back