Cable company/FCC warning letter for "signal leak" Could it be related to torrents?

bdwilson

n00b
I got a letter today from the cable company saying they detected a cable signal leak in my house and that if I don't schedule an appointment within 3 days to investigate they will cut off my service. Has anyone received one of these before? From what I gather, the cable company can detect when a signal is leaking out..and apparently it can interfere with communication systems on airplanes and other things. I recently started hosting a group of LEGAL torrents on my computer and have been using lots of bandwidth over the past week sending the data out (a constant 100-110kbps 24/7). There are no limits on bandwidth from my provider, however I'm wondering if this activity could be what they are really suspicious about. I'd like to keep seeding the files since it is great educational content that I want people to see, but not at the risk of having my service disconnected. So I guess my question is, are signal leaks in any way related to internet activity, or is it just a fluke that they want to inspect my house after I started uploading data to the web?

they are most likely referring to RF signal leaks from the cable system regardless of what you do on the internet. I its possible you have a bad piece of coax cable or splitter somewhere in your cable network that is not shielded and is "leaking" RF noise.

take a look at: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage

I've gotten one of these before, in my case it was due to a bi-directional 1x8 amplifier turned up too high. I turned down the amp a bit, they retested and all was fine.

yeah its about actual RF leakage somewhere in your wiring in the house, nothing to do with activity.

many times they pick it up when people do sloppy splice jobs to steal cable too, this is how they investigate it

Back