Cable Companies Faking Consumer Support to End Net Neutrality

HardOCP News

[H] News
Guess who is funding all these anti-net neutrality opinion pieces that keep popping up everywhere? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with cable companies.

A disclosure obtained by VICE from the National Cable and Telecom Association (NCTA), a trade group for ISPs, shows that the bulk of Broadband for America's recent $3.5 million budget is funded through a $2 million donation from NCTA. Last month, Broadband for America wrote a letter to the FCC bluntly demanding that the agency “categorically reject” any effort toward designating broadband as a public utility.

What a "not" huge surprise. Man big cable is becoming as nasty as big oil. Looks like they've learned from the best.

This actually furthers the goal of getting them titled as public utilities. That is the dream of the cable companies. It will effectively keep competition out, and allow the companies to jack up the prices due to "taxes and fees" as well as go to a metered service. Everytime I see some kids out on the street asking me to sign petitions to keep "net neutrality" I laugh at them and say I bet you are all for metered service. They generally look dumb founded as I walk away.

What a "not" huge surprise. Man big cable is becoming as nasty as big oil. Looks like they've learned from the best.

Problem with these (Oil, Pharma, Financial) companies is that they've gotten so big, they don't necessarily need a monopoly to manipulate the market - they can do so via out-spending any competitors and essentially "buying" favorable regulation and legislation.

Problem with these (Oil, Pharma, Financial) companies is that they've gotten so big, they don't necessarily need a monopoly to manipulate the market - they can do so via out-spending any competitors and essentially "buying" favorable regulation and legislation.

** such as when they used that GPS bug as a loophole to shutdown Lightspeed. It has become very hard if not impossible for an innovative company to get into any of the major industries. Their only hope is to have really deep pockets to fight all the BS litigation and legislation or policy changes.

Man, we're so corrupt as a government.

This actually furthers the goal of getting them titled as public utilities. That is the dream of the cable companies.
[H] fail of the day.
To the surprise of probably no one, ISPs are enraged at the prospect of being classified as a utility and are fighting back.

The Internet being classified as a public utility would prevent Comcast from doing what they are doing to Netflix.

Also, in many areas there is no existing competition, especially in more rural places where only one cable company exist and has the monopoly. Designating the Internet as a utility would protect those of us without options.

Remember kids, a corporation is a human being like you or I. Leave Comcast alone! Leave him alone!!!!

This actually furthers the goal of getting them titled as public utilities. That is the dream of the cable companies. It will effectively keep competition out, and allow the companies to jack up the prices due to "taxes and fees" as well as go to a metered service. Everytime I see some kids out on the street asking me to sign petitions to keep "net neutrality" I laugh at them and say I bet you are all for metered service. They generally look dumb founded as I walk away.

Which is why they're pumping millions of dollars to fight it...?

[H] fail of the day.

The Internet being classified as a public utility would prevent Comcast from doing what they are doing to Netflix.

Also, in many areas there is no existing competition, especially in more rural places where only one cable company exist and has the monopoly. Designating the Internet as a utility would protect those of us without options.

How do you see what I said as a fail? Have you even looked far enough into the future to see what this fight is really about? From your answer it is doubtful. Why do cable companies want to be categorized as public utilities? Simple, Google. If they are categorized as public utilities it would prevent Google from entering into the market and subsidizing their internet service by selling ads directly to their ISP customers. So, yes the cable companies do want this. They are "fighting" it. I use fighting very loosely, the cable companies will win either way this goes.

How would that prevent Google from entering the market? If anything as a public utility, they would likely have to rent out pipes to Google, who then could still do their ad subsidized service; see NetZero back in the day.

How would that prevent Google from entering the market? If anything as a public utility, they would likely have to rent out pipes to Google, who then could still do their ad subsidized service; see NetZero back in the day.

Probably because fiber isn't their core business. But if net neutrality goes through you can bet that they'll fiber up America to protect their core business.

What sort of links/data do you have to back up this counter-intuitive claim?

Your 24 day old account and this topic makes me leery of what you are trying to do.

honestly m_heisty you have one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen

you are actually claiming that net neutrality would be a dream for telcos and a nightmare for google...when telcos fight tooth and nail against it and google for it

so unless both telcos and google are staffed exclusively with idiots fighting for the exact opposite of what they should be fighting you are utterly wrong

In a very loose sense of the phrase, I say they are already public utilities, all without the regulation and control part. (i.e. cable companies are having their cake and eating it too)

Nah, brah. Already there's caps. That's the last straw. From here on out it would be complete and total lockdown and that is why Captain FCC must save us from the Comcast beast because no other force in the world could fix things.

[H] fail of the day.

Instead of blindly going by what some blog on the internet has to say about classifying the internet as title 2, take the time and read what that law is first. It's basically is the opposite of what you and the internet thinks and won't bring the competition you think.

Back