Cable Bills Could Reach $200 A Month By 2020

Paying 219 for 3 lines of 30/5 time warner. That's with discounts. Need FIOS to come drop the price in my area (and give me enough upload where I only need one line....ffs upload caps).

Insane. And I've been debating on dropping my cable TV considering I don't watch much TV. And I pay 60 or so per month. No way in hell I'd ever pay $100 or more, let alone $200.

Cable can kiss my ass. $29.99 a month 12mbps u verse, $7.99 Netflix and I'm good. You can stream just about anything you want TV wise online with hulu for free.

I keep reading threads like this on this forum and I keep scratching my head wondering how people who only use the internet watch:

1. Live sports

2. The local news

3. Other live programming such as my local provincial election leaders debate

4. All the things that aren't on Netflix

I recently dumped cable and switched to streaming. I got a couple Rokus and a digital antenna, so I get my local programming there (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). I don't watch sports and I follow politics on the radio. Don't have Netflix, I have Hulu and Amazon Prime streaming. I don't watch many movies, so haven't missed anything there. And if I really want to see a movie, I can buy the Blu-Ray.

My cable/internet/phone was over $200 a month before. Now phone/Internet is just under $100. Kids love the Hulu on-demand shows and wife and I always watched stuff on the DVR, so waiting a day to stream new TV shows on Hulu is not a change for us anyway.

I keep reading threads like this on this forum and I keep scratching my head wondering how people who only use the internet watch:

1. Live sports

2. The local news

3. Other live programming such as my local provincial election leaders debate

4. All the things that aren't on Netflix

I am not calling you out, I am legitimately curious. I have tried netflix and while there are some things on there I like, it is missing tons of stuff and I can find on TV. I have also tried watching programming on network websites, like family guy for example, and they only carry the latest two episodes. With my PVR TV watching is awesome. Pretty much no commercials ever, since I just fast forward through them.

Back to the original point of the post though, 200 dollars is way too much money.

1. sports boring. No care.
2. every news station have web sites
3. well I'm member of the Democratic Alliance of Northwest Indiana, so I guess I get my information directly from the source.
4. if they're not on Netflix, I won't know about it, so I can't miss what I don't know, lol

1) Don't care. It's just a bunch of people playing with their balls :).
2) Local channels are almost always available as OTA HD, or online.
3) Don't care. Just a bunch of idiots trying to remain in power -- my time is better spent getting them unelected.
4) Hulu+, OTA HD, and online gets most of it. What that combination does not get isn't worth the $100+/mo I would be paying to get it on cable.

Paying 219 for 3 lines of 30/5 time warner. That's with discounts. Need FIOS to come drop the price in my area (and give me enough upload where I only need one line....ffs upload caps).

...what do you need 3 cable lines for? :eek:

Wow i have surewest 10 down 2 up and basic phone i pay about 70 bucks a month, i use icefilms and netflix for movies. Comcast was trying to get me for all 3 service around $181 amonth.

cable is such a scam I am glad i can live without it.

Maybe the typical dipshit will be paying 200 per month for cable, but I sure as hell won't be.
I pay 50.00 for UVERSE and I'm not happy with that (intend to cancel this or next week)
no "cable"

We had the lowest plan (before cutting the cord) that gave us the channels we genuinely enjoyed watching. The plan was $87/mo but next month it was going to go up to $130/mo. Instead of that we set up my Hauppauge HVR 2250, an XBOX 360 media extender, and canceled cable. That equipment will pay for itself in a few months and from there on in it's just gravy.

When our U-Verse cable goes up from the current $38/mo to $52/mo in a few months I'll be reconsidering that as well. At 18/2 its a bit faster than the competition (7/0.5) at the same price, but then I deal with a 250GB/mo data cap.

probably never heard of routers, splitters and leasing another box ;)

Need more upload bandwith than is available on one line, and i dont feel like running the risk with a hacked modem.

Internet: $50
Saying "screw pay TV" : $0
Hulu: $0
Soutparkstudios: $0
Enjoying my almost free content: damn skippy.

I've NEVER had cable, grew up wit hit in my parents house, but it's been over ten years since I had to sit through stupid ads every ten minutes... no thanks, don't miss it AT ALL.

I also don't have internet at home. Plenty of free/legal spots to grab it. It helps keep my time online down to the minimum as well, oh the money saved is more then worth it.

Need more upload bandwith than is available on one line, and i dont feel like running the risk with a hacked modem.

Just wondering why you actually need more than 5 Mbit upstream. If you are running a server or something I am pretty sure that's against their TOS.

Just wondering why you actually need more than 5 Mbit upstream. If you are running a server or something I am pretty sure that's against their TOS.

Not if it's a business account. You can run servers off a Comcast Business account as far as I know.

Still, I'm not seeing what one would use 15mbps upstream for at home. Each to their own I guess.

Plenty of things you can use gobs of upstream for. This is one of the reasons I stick with my FiOS 25/25 (which actually benchmarks 35/30).

I'm not sure I'd go to the extent of multiple accounts/splitting/load balancing/etc. though, if I couldn't get it. it seems a little bit over the top.

why the fuck would ANYONE pay ANYTHING for add supported tv content? especially when its 1/3rd of the air time

why the fuck would ANYONE pay ANYTHING for add supported tv content? especially when its 1/3rd of the air time
Afraid of change, less manual labor, thinks watching ads is informative and a benefit to smart shopping, finds that working around schedules and running to the tube after the potty break exciting?

I could think of more reasons, but I'm starting to feel my soul being sucked away at the mere thought of cable tv :D

Afraid of change, less manual labor, thinks watching ads is informative and a benefit to smart shopping, finds that working around schedules and running to the tube after the potty break exciting?

I could think of more reasons, but I'm starting to feel my soul being sucked away at the mere thought of cable tv :D

Contract too for some people.

Because they are over 60 years old and don't own a computer, and because they only have an analog TV and subscribed to basic cable just to make the TV keep working when analog OTA ended (and NONE of the new digital signals reach, because they don't travel as far)

Cable companies, jack up the prices as much as you want. My antenna and I laugh at you. :D

Assuming you can ditch cable TV is all fine and good, until the cable companies either buy, shutdown or block the internet alternatives.

The didn't put the FCC over 'net neutrality' for nothing.

cable TV bills are going to go up simply because many of us are moving away from cable tv.

now, my cable bill is still high since i have maxed out cable tv for the girl friend and maxed out internet for me. that gives me a a bill of $220 a month for every channel and 100mb/s net access. ..... and a $8 a month netflix account too...

so simply put, i already pay 200 a month... The future is today :)

If i could just get the girl friend to stop using cable TV, i could save about $125 a month.

cable TV bills are going to go up simply because many of us are moving away from cable tv.

now, my cable bill is still high since i have maxed out cable tv for the girl friend and maxed out internet for me. that gives me a a bill of $220 a month for every channel and 100mb/s net access. ..... and a $8 a month netflix account too...

so simply put, i already pay 200 a month... The future is today :)

If i could just get the girl friend to stop using cable TV, i could save about $125 a month.

Um, you pay the bill, right? How about not letting your girl friend's vagina influence your wallet.

She can watch her junk TV shows without the need to have "every channel".

Drop $100 or less on a media box and stream the content to your heart's/wallet's content.

Do you really need 100Mbps service? My guess is no...

This. I pay $40 a month for 30 mbit/s service, yet I regularly pull 5MB a sec. I see no need in going to a higher tier when I already download a 2 GB movie in less than 10 minutes.

Back